dearchristopher

What did you do with your atv today?

It's in bad shape anyhow.  I really intended to reroof it this summer.  Guess I can be like the neighbors and just throw a big blue tarp on it, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just swapped the 38 pilot for a 40 jet & adjusted the fuel screw. 

Welded new thicker steel mounts on my gas jug holder so now it won’t bend. 

Just gave the old girl a bath in preparation for this weeks hunt in in northern Alberta. 

• Like 4

Finally got the winch installed in my 450. Took about 4 weeks with 2 weeks of being off due to a nasty sinus infection(which mimic'd covid symptoms). Have 4 short M8 bolts that I'll be darned if I remember where I removed them from. lol. Maybe if the front fenders fall off I'll realize what I took off.

Foreman is back together now and ready to rock.  Drilled out the one broken bolt on the front skidplate and put a new factory one in its place. Old one was beat to heck.

44D526A6-C5C8-4380-BE4B-2A31DE9B4316.jpeg

Edited by 87Iroc
  • Like 4

On 10/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, jeepwm69 said:

It's in bad shape anyhow.  I really intended to reroof it this summer.  Guess I can be like the neighbors and just throw a big blue tarp on it, right?

And some tars!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, 01honda rancher 350 es said:

I’m about to order carb for mine

My Chinese carb is going down hill quick.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2020 at 7:47 PM, Goober said:

And some tars!

I actually one-upped the tar and blue tarp..LOL

Yesterday I got up on the roof, raked all the leaves, sticks, and green moss off of the shingles where water will at least roll off of the roof now.

I had some old corrugated tin from a building I partially tore down on the farm a few years ago.  I tacked that tin over the hole, with the end of the tin poking slight above the peak of the roof to keep any water from running under it.

That should keep me dry until I can get the roof replaced.  Probably going to have to do it a little bit at a time.

• Like 3

This morning I went out early again,  Modified a couple of upper a-arms for a 300 to accept the bigger ball joint to do a disc coversion.

Put together (mostly) a 250 rear end that's going to go in a 300. 

Replaced valve stems in a set of Rubicon wheels, going to mount some 26" Mudbugs on those hopefully tomorrow morning to put on the eldest kid's 300, and the Mudlite XL's that are currently on it will be going on the next 500 I fix to flip.

• Like 1

almost lost my old 79 Trail 90 yesterday...!!! OMG...fears almost realized....had traveled 6 hrs drive up into Virginia on for the weekend...fossil digging for the wife...so as usual the lil red wonder was mounted on the rack on the back of the camper..has ridden there many times across about 14 states..enjoyed riding while I was up there and it came in handy a couple times for transport logistics...part way home...guy rolls up next to me honking his horn... I quickly pull to the shoulder...one of the straps had broke (old I guess) and had allowed the bike to bounce and the front wheel to come out of the rack and down to the ground..literally was dragging on the highway!  new straps and made it home no problem...but it was well after dark last night..so today I'll check to see if any actual damage..but nothing looked bent yesterday.

• Like 3

whew...had gotten in after dark last night..so just left the rig on the bumper of the truck/..went to Flying J to use their dump station...and then unhitched back at the house...at which point I pulled the CT90 off the rack...everything felt and looked straight..not visible damage...turned the key..3 kicks as usual when she's cold..and cranked right up..rode it back to the garage and put it under lock n key..all my "toys" are tucked in tight tonight..next couple days might get a bit sketchy...so don't want to leave any targets out for folks to run off with.

• Like 2

On November 1, 2020 at 8:55 PM, Chevymec said:

My Chinese carb is going down hill quick.  

do say your not going back to another one ? 

12 hours ago, Bighanded said:

whew...had gotten in after dark last night..so just left the rig on the bumper of the truck/..went to Flying J to use their dump station...and then unhitched back at the house...at which point I pulled the CT90 off the rack...everything felt and looked straight..not visible damage...turned the key..3 kicks as usual when she's cold..and cranked right up..rode it back to the garage and put it under lock n key..all my "toys" are tucked in tight tonight..next couple days might get a bit sketchy...so don't want to leave any targets out for folks to run off with.

You're lucky!  I had a mountain bike drag when I hit bumps, was on a receiver hitch rack coming home from the beach a couple of years ago.  Wore a flat spot on the tire!

I'm not expecting much, but I did put a chinese carb on my CT90 last year.. I kept the original and Lord knows when I'll make time to do a proper rebuild of it...this new cheapo works "okay"...can't seem to dial in the magic...so it takes a few extra kicks sometimes to get it started..but idles well, runs WOT fine, no sag/lag on acceleration...I'm not unhappy with it, but i never expected it will last me the 40 years that the original has (grin)

interestingly...bought it fully expecting it was a chinese unit...but the housing says "Japan"..but for the $35 I still assume chinese made.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bighanded said:

I'm not expecting much, but I did put a chinese carb on my CT90 last year.. I kept the original and Lord knows when I'll make time to do a proper rebuild of it...this new cheapo works "okay"...can't seem to dial in the magic...so it takes a few extra kicks sometimes to get it started..but idles well, runs WOT fine, no sag/lag on acceleration...I'm not unhappy with it, but i never expected it will last me the 40 years that the original has (grin)

interestingly...bought it fully expecting it was a chinese unit...but the housing says "Japan"..but for the $35 I still assume chinese made.

Does it say "Made in Japon"?

Gotta love the chinese trying to fake everything, and failing!

• Haha 1

it actually does say "JapAn" on the body. I'm figuring that maybe that part comes from supply and then China builds it out and uses maybe some other parts from there..ie gaskets, etc... I don't know...the bike is 41 years old, and I'm about to turn 64.. I'm grateful when either of us can crank...and I only need it to keep going for a couple more years, then I'll sell and settle down into being an old fart i guess...collectors are standing by with cash in hand to grab it.. I told one guy $1500..he said I'm on the way... had to re-state that I was just saying that's what I would sell it for "IF" I were selling...having one of those old barn bikes with a clean title is huge...

I have it tagged so I can legally ride it on the road..and often do enjoy a jaunt out on the back country roads...as well as dropping down into the dirt....

Got up early this morning again.  Pressed in some more ball joints into 500 knuckles, a-arms, and a couple of modified 300 upper a-arms.

Assembled a 250 Fourtrax rear end with new bearings in the diff, grease zerks on the axle tubes, a rear brake delete, new end bearings in both axle tubes.

Then I mounted the 4 26" Mudbugs that have been in the way all week on some Rubicon aluminum wheels.  These will go on one of the teenagers' bikes.  Not sure which yet.  Need to get another set ordered for the other kid's bike, but have to sell some stuff first.  LOL

• Like 1

Finished up the 250A rear end this morning.  Still have to get one of Don Oglesby's plates welded to it to match up to the 300 swingarm (he shipped it yesterday) and then it will be ready to bolt up.

Did an ugly brake delete, bearings are all packed with good red grease, and tubes got 60 pumps of grease each (you can see the zerks I added in the pic) so they should have a good blob of grease in them to hopefully stop water intrusion.

This one is going in a 2wd 300 I have.  Have some 2wd 420 knuckles and brakes to go on it too.

250 rear.jpeg

brake delete.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm going to try to get my shop cleaned out a little at a time until I can hopefully get wheelers pulled in to work on over the winter.

Have piles of parts everywhere now that need to be sorted through, with stuff I'm not going to need anytime soon/ever going into tubs that will go to the farm shop.

This morning I started taking apart two old Warn 8274 winch projects I picked up a while back.  Both are in the way, and need to be disassembled, cleaned up, and put back together to be ready to use.

Going to take them apart and put them in the parts washer, get them cleaned up so I can get them out of the way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Finished up the 250A rear end this morning.  Still have to get one of Don Oglesby's plates welded to it to match up to the 300 swingarm (he shipped it yesterday) and then it will be ready to bolt up.

Did an ugly brake delete, bearings are all packed with good red grease, and tubes got 60 pumps of grease each (you can see the zerks I added in the pic) so they should have a good blob of grease in them to hopefully stop water intrusion.

This one is going in a 2wd 300 I have.  Have some 2wd 420 knuckles and brakes to go on it too.

250 rear.jpeg

brake delete.jpeg

Not a fan of Don Q's adaptor , his bracket looks cheap and phony , can make something strong and looks a lot better in about 10 minutes max for $0 from the center tube of the old 300 rear end 

I found the pipe that is the right size to fit the ball joints and not cut the rubber  , took pics and measurements and put them on a thread some where 

Finally got some ride time. Not much for pictures but it felt really good to get out and the 60° weather was perfect. 

20201107_141012.jpg

20201107_141634.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 4:38 PM, Fishfiles said:

Not a fan of Don Q's adaptor , his bracket looks cheap and phony , can make something strong and looks a lot better in about 10 minutes max for $0 from the center tube of the old 300 rear end 

I found the pipe that is the right size to fit the ball joints and not cut the rubber  , took pics and measurements and put them on a thread some where 

Well on the 250 it's just a plate to weld to the axle tube.  I've done one of those fabbed bits with an axle tube from a 300 (on @basfnb's 300) and it worked, but since I can't weld worth a crap and take it to the shop to have it done, I'd rather have a nice clean plate on there.

I just got done plowing for 3 1/2 hours with my Ruby. Got 8" of snow last night.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm right across the lake from ya Prov, we were in the warm nose of that front and got stuck with about 1.5 inches of rain. I'd rather have your snow.

• Like 1

I was off yesterday for Veteran's Day.  Got up at 5AM, hit the shop. 

The plumbing bit I bought for ball joints worked PERFECTLY.  No damage to the boot at all, and allowed me to use my vice (easier than the press).  Got all my knuckle stash now cleaned up with new ball joints, bearings, and seals.

Then I put together a 350D rear end for one of the 300's.  I did the same thing as I did on the 250A rear earlier this week; zerks on both axle tubes, so I could fill the tubes with grease and keep water away from the diff. 

Then the wife had to go to work, so I moved up close to the house within range of the baby monitor.  Drilled out some twisted off bolts and retapped the holes on the 07 Foreman frame, and painted the bottom of it with phospho to neutralize the rusty spots on the frame.  Did the same with the frame I got from @1080PowersportsPartsLLC which I'm going to swap the bike over to that I picked up last week, that had the bubba welding done to the frame that I missed when I bought it.

By that time the princess was awake, so we ate and watched cartoons and hung out for a few hours.  Once she went down for her nap, I got new rubber brake lines installed on my 83 GMC.  The brakes have been acting funny lately, and I thought I might have a sticky caliper.  Nosing around online said if a rubber line is collapsing it can cause the same symptoms, and they were in BAD shape (38 years old) so I replaced them.  Still need to bleed the brakes, but hopefully that will get me back in business.

Also replaced some parts on my tailgating canopy so I can get it put up, and cleaned the carb and got a pushmower running that someone was giving away, so I had @basfnb pick it up for me, and all it needed was a carb dunk and clean and it runs like a top. 

Then went over and had a couple of beers with Dad to celebrate Veteran's Day.  He retired as a Col.  Served in the Army in Vietnam and then stayed in the reserves until the late 80's.

I'm sore today.  LOL.  Getting to old to get all of that into one day.

• Like 2