Goober

Bolt Extraction

Found a broken bolt on a frame fender mount; you older motorheads will appreciate this use of the stake, drill, extract and tap method.

If i had tried a smaller extractor i might have realized the bolt wasn’t welded in like some get; then my luck I might’ve broken off the extractor.

AA1B121B-ED30-4430-A607-E6062438E384.jpeg

D5DF444C-99F8-4BC5-A916-E6404C8E5AF7.jpeg

A48A9901-B45C-4B60-A87F-0EB6F0ABD0B9.jpeg

FB7A5379-0F30-424B-ACAF-C551CC0C2EB9.jpeg

4FD32EF5-B3D6-49F3-89F9-89963EB4216E.jpeg

• Like 5

Had to do the same thing this morning on a crankcase half.  The front half of the crankcase had a bolt broken off where the cylinder bolts to the top of the cases.  My reverse drill bit didn't budge it, so they must have really cross threaded it. 

Drilled it out, tapped it, and put a helicoil in there.

• Like 1

My success rate has improved so much with this after getting a good set of cobalt bits, drilling slow and using cutting oil

Man -those black oxide cheapo bits.........dont know how I got along without Cobalt bits ( I got a good set from Drill Hog USA, they will replace bad/broken bits for life, no questions)

Also had good luck welding a nut on then spiining it out or building up a flush broken bolt and then welding a nut on

I have a low success rate with extractors,-once in awhile though, with some heat,  PB Blaster and tapping with a hammer, I get lucky

-always scared to break off a tap in a hard spot- man that ruins the mood quick 😠

• Like 2

i see, or break off rusty bolts on a daily basis , if i did not see this happen ?, i'd think i did not have an old atv !..lol. the way i do it, i start out with a small drill bit, then work my way up to almost the same size bit as the broken bolt, most times i just run a metric tap down in the hole.