sarseneault

Engine Tick

Hello,

I have a 96 Fourtrax which developed a tick. I replaced the timing chain and adjusted the valves at TDC of the compression stroke, but I’m still hearing a tick. I took the valve cover off and rechecked the chain position, but it looks correct.

Can someone listen and tell if this is a piston hitting valve tick, or if it’s valve lash gap tick? https://youtu.be/rFW6ixPoaHs

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you in advance!

sounds like timing with the chain is off ?, or your valves are not correct ?.

and please make a post of you in the new member section, tad about ya !.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like a cam lobe or a rocker arm are gunna be wiped. If this is the case any valve adjustment you do it will still tick. Doesnt sound like timing chain slap or bottom end though so thats good news. The speed that it ticks at idle would indicate topend valvetrane area to start your inspection. Welcome to the forums!

• Like 3

Can you pin point where it's the loudest (screwdriver against ear doctor stuff)? Possibly a longer vid moving around the motor might help narrow it down. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the input everyone. So I finally got a minute to tinker.... I took the valve cover off and made sure I was tdc of the compression stroke, valves were pointing down, and the sprocket notches and dot were in the right place. I also made sure the valves were at .006. After assembling it still has the tick/clattering noise. Heres an updated video:

https://youtu.be/7p8CtyQCSNM

I think you are right SlammedRanger, im thinking the cam lobe and or rockers are bad. The journal looks mashed up little.

What i can see of the cam doesnt look horrible. The rocker arms are hard to see. But they should be smooth with no obveous ridges in the contact area. If they arent glass smooth with no bumps in them you will have a tick no matter what.

F!@& the oil filter was in backwards. You both were right. Its much quieter now, but still has a slight tick. I think im just going to replace the cam and rockers.

Thanks guys.

This pic shows that the cam journals (and the camshaft) in the head are wiped out from lack of oil. You'll need to replace the head and camshaft. I can't see the heels of the rockers good enough to make a call... but I imagine the rocker arms are both wiped out too. I'd replace those rockers too, and put new adjuster screws in them. If the tops of the valve stems are cupped those will need to be dressed up to be flat and square again too.

7DE0A33E-E89C-4084-954B-E98ACB0DBA5D.jpeg

• Like 4