All Out Riding

2004 Honda recon breather lines

Where are all the breather lines and where are they. I know there it one coming from the engine to the airbox but I can't find the one from the carburetor and if there are any more please let me know.

I'm not overly familiar with the Recons but it should have a vent line on the left side of the carb (about middle), one for the rear end, one for each brake system (fronts T together). I'm guessing we are going for a water machine so the carb drain line (overflow) will need to be plugged when it's being submerged. I would install a small fuel shut off valve from a lawn mower so it can be an easy open/closed on that one. I would run them up with the snorkel, the less holes in the air box the better. The carb vent you might have issues running it into the airbox.

do not close off the drain nipple on bottom of carb !!!. it has to remain open, in case the float over flows ?, so fuel can drain out. there should be a check valve on the tube coming off of it ?. fuel flows out one way, nothing can go back up into it.

2 minutes ago, All Out Riding said:

Ok it was like that ever since I got it but there is no valve on the end of the line.

ok, there should be a check valve on that one line hanging down from the float bowl ?, i will check the fich, too make sure :-).

just looked it up it did not show this valve on the recon ?, very odd !. most atv motors have them..did not see it on yours ?. oh well..lol. just dont block it off !.

If it's going to be a submarine in needs to be blocked off or water will get up through the overflow, into the bowl and sink the submarine. That's why I mentioned a shut off valve. Close it when sinking it and open it at all other times. The screw on the bottom of the carb is just the drain screw. The overflow is a pipe that sits up in the carb bowl that is always open.

There should be one vent line above the choke lever next to the fuel line on the carb that will route up under the fuel tank. All the others will connect back to the carb.

21 minutes ago, toodeep said:

If it's going to be a submarine in needs to be blocked off or water will get up through the overflow, into the bowl and sink the submarine. That's why I mentioned a shut off valve. Close it when sinking it and open it at all other times. The screw on the bottom of the carb is just the drain screw. The overflow is a pipe that sits up in the carb bowl that is always open.

There should be one vent line above the choke lever next to the fuel line on the carb that will route up under the fuel tank. All the others will connect back to the carb.

when sinking it in water..your right..but leaving it shut off is never a good idea..lol. couple times forgetting to open it back up will leave a bad taste in your mouth for sure !..lol.

I saw a video of someone drilling a hole in their snorkel puting the the breather lines in the hole and sealing it so they didn't have to extend the lines. Is this a good idea or would it be better to just extend the lines?

And is the carburetor breather line the vacuum line? 

It's a vent line on the carb, the others that are there are vacuum that connect back to the carb. I always run the lines up to the handlebar area because i never plan on going that deep.