shadetree

'98 trx300fw

Hey gang, currently working on a 1998 trx300fw for my bud, getting a make over ( just fixing small stuff ). thought i would give some details on a problem i ran across past couple days. i did not take any pic's of the tear down !. problem: when tearing the rear end down to do brake work, as we all should know by now ?, rear brakes on the trx300fw are one of the worse to handle at times !. brake drum was seized on the axle ( very common ! ), so i removed the left rear wheel, hub down to the axle, got the lock nuts off. if you do not have a home made nut remover tool and a very strong air impact gun ?, two very large pipe wrenches will do just dandy !. soak the lock nuts for a bit, i'm sure they are rusted over big time !. once i got the lock nuts off, now i '' thought '' ?, i could just pull the axle right out the right side ?, nope !. rear brakes backing plate is in the way, and the brake drum is stopping it from coming off !. just so you know ?, THE AXLE WAS SEIZED TO THE SPLINES ON THE RING GEAR !.

so, now what you ask ?. here is what i ended up doing. i drained the gear oil out of the rear diff, removed all the bolts from the right side of the rear diff housing, then hammered the whole axle, side cover to the diff ( after prying on tabs on side cover )..all out to the right in one piece. caution !!. you will get it all off ?, but !!! ( there's always that one but huh ? ), once you get to the far left end of the axle, it will not clear the main diff. so, now i had to unbolt the diff from the swing arm, then i was able to remove the right side area. then hammer, soak, lord knows what all else !, to finally get the brake drum off the axle. then i was able to use my 20 ton press to press the axle out of the ring gear. got it all apart, wire brushed all the axle splines good and clean.

.P.S. DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE O-RING FROM AROUND THE REAR BRAKE DRUM ?!, AND DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE SMALL O-RING FROM AROUND THE LEFT REAR AXLE RIGHT NEXT TO THE RING GEAR UNDER THE LOCK NUTS !.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Don't you love that "small stuff" that turns into a major ordeal?

lol, i deal with that '' small stuff '' EVERY DANG DAY BRO !..ROFL.