AKATV

Anyone seen anything in the woods you cant explain?

Hm....... This one got my attention..... Now I've come across fencing type parts ie nails steeples wire, even page wire, but because of the age of the tree it's always been close to the surface..... I put up with needing to tickle (sharpening) the chain a tad to keep going, once I've tagged  metal ... I've stopped and put a kind of beat up chain ..on Till i get so many feet along the trunk (most being blow downs or damaged to the point they were going to come down before said and done ) 5 feet give or take ..... But besides the the very protective safty gear these two guys had on.... ( laughable )  i thought this might be part double barrel  (specifics type of growth a tree does, although im not sure exactly what causes this to happen @Macarena Man being you've most likely seen and dealt with some really massive old growth trees.... I'm thinking you'd be best to ask have you or any of your crew ever come across anything that's odd deep inside a very large tree, AND,  how many rings in ? To go on..... You can see something has there attention in the video, not t mention how many times they had to touch up the chains.... And with how rings in this item was tells me what ever this thing is, it had had a very long ago start for the tree to grow around it.... The wood stained by this degrading metal sure made some beautiful slabs..... IMO well worth the effort to harvest it..... @Fishfiles did you ever see that swap loggwrs episode whee Shelby Stanga harvested that massive double barrel ? I don't recall how much money he made over that tree, but a couple shows later.. He had updated with several new machines.... Older and seeing how he was most likely got s good deal price wise.... Well to conclude here's the video, any idea of what this might be ? An Old logging tool is then1st thing i thought of, but still baffled, as i stated it made some very beautiful slabs. 

double barrel

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Man he went all kinds of un glued.... Lol! You'd have thought he had struck gold... Well i guess he did sorta .... I watched them slab it up its really amaising how being submerged under water colors the wood up to start with, but that and a double barrel ? Talk hitting one out of the park! Him and bobby (i think were what made that show) the rest naw not o much...I'll see if i can locate that clip of Shelby ... I hope he's doing good made it big, or bigger then he was... That's gotta be hard work.. ! Doing firewood sure as ! Is.... But i love it, can't wait to get back to doing it again. 

• Like 2

Those two stem trees are known as 'School Mar'm's' here.  Find bullets, fencing wire/staples. all manner of things.  Faller was felling an ancient Western Red Cedar up at Campbell River, BC. He 'rocked' his saw, sharpened it and was putting in the new undercut slightly above the original when he rocked his saw again.  He eventually dropped the old Cedar and the butt cracked and shattered as they often do with Red Cedar.  Imbedded in the tree was an ancient cannonball that had been fired from a sailing ship 160 years earlier.  It's in the museum now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

Used to be a guy on the edge of town that had old 50's cars scattered all over his property.  It was grown up, hedgerows, saplings, with 50's wrecked and just worn out cars and trucks scattered all over, some stacked on top of others.  He had 3-4 Willys 4x4 pickups from the late 40's-early 50's that were complete, but really rough cosmetically.  Said he'd take $350 for my choice of them. 

When I was off at school, the man passed away and his family had it all hauled off for scrap.  If they'd parted those old cars out no telling what they could have made on them.

• Like 3

I went to this spot when I was a kid , the Tarzan movies were filmed there , Silver Springs , glass bottom boats , the guy that filmed Tarzan let a bunch of monkeys go in the 50s and they have done well