Fishfiles

Fixing Equipment

I repair heavy equipment for a living , and seen some unique things along the way ,  fixing things as a mechanic can be repetitious , which is a good thing sometimes , because you seen it before and done it , it helps you to find and fix the problem quick , but then sometimes weird things happen and can be hard to figure out and find ---- I kind of like the CSI approach to figure what happened 

So I know about skidsteer loaders , dozers , excavators , backhoes , cranes , and such , if you got any questions on those subject feel free to ask , if I don't know I like a challenge to find out   --- if you are repairing any heavy equipment let's see it and what's up 

These are some pics of how my day went

1) Komatsu PC60 excavator , complaint , engine oil leak , after removing the belly pan and cleaning it up , found it had been repaired before , by Joe T's LOL ---- removing the oil pan would require the engine to at least be lifted up in the machine , owner asked for the Joe T special and I gave him a good one , next person to do an oil change will curse me ----- the belly pan was much better condition and paint , so I figure they were running this machine without a belly pan , damaged the oil pan , made a quick fix on the pan and got a new belly pan , the new belly pan sealed really well on the under carriage , oil and water accumulated , it was 3 inches deep when I dropped the pan , it was making it look a lot worst than what it was  -- LOL 

2) JohnDeer 5520 tractor , complaint , bush hog leaks down quick , found a valve next to the seat buried under some trash including a jacket that looked like the rats were wearing it , the owner said he never knew about that valve since he got the tractor , guess the trash moved the knob , put a mark on the board next to the deck and in 30 minutes it sagged  1/4 max of height , before ,  when you let go of the lift lever the deck would bang the ground in a 1/2 second , now it takes about 2 1/2 seconds from all the way up to the ground , you tractors guys might know what is a good timing on that ?

3) John Deer 450G --complaint , won't start , found green corrosion in the weatherhead plug at the neutral sensor , you would think the plug was water tight , but note the rust on the cover above the valve , there was a big gap right over the plug and chunks of rust was laying right on top the plug and did a electrolysis type of decay right on top of it  

60571713382__E2087E70-F0D0-42F6-906A-325DBB1DACF1.JPG

QhSRpATLRdqMlBC09SaAIg.jpg

nqksY9kAQPqcPZhLB5VYQQ.jpg

Mh3FPfoYTqG1tCk+5j%Oxg.jpg

B0o9EUmkSV6rxkpcQIivjA.jpg

• Like 3

Once it warms up enough I have a drive motor to repair/replace in an 1835 case skid steer, plus who knows what else I might find. If you ever serviced a  450 case skid steer and have great advice on an easy way to change to F'n oil filter I will listen. lol

whats the gray stuff,#1 pic, and is that your hand?  i see knuckle busts. 

Edited by LedFTed
spelling
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, toodeep said:

Once it warms up enough I have a drive motor to repair/replace in an 1835 case skid steer, plus who knows what else I might find. If you ever serviced a  450 case skid steer and have great advice on an easy way to change to F'n oil filter I will listen. lol

I have worked on a 1835 "C"  Case skidsteer , have never changed the  travel motor , you do  know how to slide the cab forward to gain access , it is pretty open in there once the cab is forward so that travel motor should not be too bad a job --------   I have changed  quite a few of the bearings in  wheel hub housings  , customer had 3 of them , all with steel tracks over the wheels and was running solid tires , they learned tracks and foam filled tires  was too much weight  for the wheel bearings and they wouldn't last long and done away with the foam filled tires and dealt with flats and their tire guy wouldn't deal with the tracks , so every flat they got they would call me to remove the track , wait for the tire guy and then reinstall the track 

I have never yet had the privilege of working on a 450 Case skid loader  , Case loaders wheeled or track are not that common down here , Bobcat , Caterpillar , Takeuchi then Kubota in that order are the common loaders --------  I service a fleet of Kubota SVL 90s and that is a hard machine to do an oil change on and I don't like doing them , the only way to get at the oil filter is to tilt the radiator out ,   as it on the front of the engine down low , then the filter really don't fit past the fan and belts , need to flex the fan belt out the way or loosen the belt , pretty much no way to be clean and not spill the oil that is in the filter  and end up  just dump the oil in the filter  into the belly before it is over -----

I don't know who actually makes the Case loaders , but the excavators are actually made by Sumatoma  ---- the Case , LinkBelt , Terex and Sumatoma are all the same machines with different color paint , I work on a lot of LinkBelts but not many Case

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

whats the gray stuff,#1 pic, and is that your hand?  i see knuckle busts. 

they ran the machine without a belly pan and smashed up the oil pan , then someone applied some silicone over the damaged areas ---no busted knuckles on this one 

• Like 1

Toodeep , I was looking for oil filter change video on a 450 Case and happened upon a video on the 1835Cs and he was telling how the early 1835's travel motor had a planetary gear that mounted behind the motor , decent video 

so why are you changing the hydraulic travel motor , common things I see are internal leakage which cause a delay in  travel or hard engagement of travel , which either of those symptoms made it hard to operate smoothly  or the seal blows and allows hydraulic oil to get into the chain case ---so what one you got a 1835 ,  1835 B or C 

It's just the 1835, early 80s I believe. This drive motor was rebuilt before do to a bad shaft. Well the new shaft installed was junk and snapped in half. I was in need of the loader at the time so I threw the old shaft back in and dealt with it leaking until I didn't need it anymore. Fast forward it been sitting about 8 years because the 450 is so much nicer and can handle the weight of freight better. I figured I would get the 35 going again because it would be handy to have around the home place. 

10/4 , so you must have a planetary between the chain case and the hydraulic motor ---- Is that shaft still available for you ?  Or you going to replace the entire drive motor this time around ? ----- 

I have replaced OEM motors with motors from different manufacturers and they didn't even look the same , but bolted right up and worked  , the Bobcat 753 had  4 different motors that would interchange ---- but then later on , Bobcat got smart , starting taking a stock motor  made by say Sauer , they change the output shaft to a specific OEM shaft , just a little different , and then sea; seal kit and shaft cost 3 times more than a whole brand new motor cost from Sauer with the wrong shaft  ---  I doubt that old Case was too unique , and was  pretty much standard equipment in a bunch of applications , availability might an issue

The motor sits in the middle of the chain case with a double sprocket with chains going to each drive wheel.  Aftermarket motors are available and from reading have the same exact specs as the original so it will still drive straight. I found some around the $750 price range so I'll probably go that route and possibly change both of them. Shafts and seals look to be available yet but complete motors are not (the brand that was used in them). Once I tear it apart I will know more but this machine was bad at getting moisture in the chain cases so I might find a lot of bad parts since it sat for so long. It's probably going to be one of those projects where it might not be worth fixing once you start adding up all the damage from sitting. Since it's just going to be used lightly I'm hoping a cheaper fix and then maybe a part or 2 each year getting it back into shape.

I am starting on an interesting to me job , biggest excavator I have ever worked on , it is a Komatsu 800 ( thats 80 metric tons , that's a  176,000 pound machine with a Labonty sheer that weights in at 26 tons , brings it to 228,000 pounds  and it has a extra counter weight which I am not sure of the weigh on it , with all the cat walks and extras , I would guess this is a 1/4 million pound machine , it is going to be put on a 200 ft barge and ddo rock jetty work for the Corps of Engineers ,  my job is to remove the sheer , install a long reach dipper stick and replumb the system to turn it back into a digging machine ---  now that I am older I try to stay away from big jobs like this , but this is a good friend and the challenge is something I can't pass up , H+E the Komatsu dealer told me yesterday the biggest they ever  had down here is a 650 and Komatsu makes a bigger 1,200 ---- sure I am going to have some pic , the top of the tracks are at eye level to me , climbing up and down is a bummer 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Melatv said:

Fish: Get rested up -- stay focus -- be safe -- pace your self 

Got you Mel , I will be renting out my brains and not my back on this one 

These pics really don't do it justice on size without a person standing next to it  , the top of the track is eye level to me 

He told me some number , he paid $510, 000 for the machine used , has a buyer lined up on the sheer at $225,000 , then has to have the boom special made by Pacifica who hasn't came in with the quote yet , then tubing , bucket cylinder , h-link / cradle , dog bone links , bucket and pins , which will likely be what the sheer brings in 

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

• Like 2

My brother does similar. He is a mobile mechanic for a local company up north that started out working on equipment in the big steel mills up there. As his work ethic was good, they moved him to mobile mechanic with a service truck. He has been to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama, and Texas and is pretty constantly working in Illinois. He was in Alabama several times last winter before the 'Rona hit. His latest project was/is this monster. Its the biggest I've ever seen him work on. Typically its down in the 15L and lower size range. The crap he's touching seems to be getting bigger. Dunno what's changed but good for him. My guess is his companies clientele is growing due to the good work/reasonable prices they charge.

That's a Cat 379B I guess. Looks to be a 32L engine.

snap70.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/13/2020 at 5:59 AM, Fishfiles said:

Toodeep , I was looking for oil filter change video on a 450 Case and happened upon a video on the 1835Cs and he was telling how the early 1835's travel motor had a planetary gear that mounted behind the motor , decent video 

so why are you changing the hydraulic travel motor , common things I see are internal leakage which cause a delay in  travel or hard engagement of travel , which either of those symptoms made it hard to operate smoothly  or the seal blows and allows hydraulic oil to get into the chain case ---so what one you got a 1835 ,  1835 B or C 

That sliding cab is very cool.

• Like 1

If I had to guess that.crane could be a Bucirus Eriee or maybe a Northwesten.   

Batteries blew 45 second apart on a Komatsu 61 dozer , 24 volt system , was charging 32 volts , found that out from  ---- Komatsu service  linked  up via satellite to the  machine and read the codes it was throwing  before they blew , all their machines after 2016 have the Com -Trac set up 

m5mh+3fiSmC9MUMyEqFjYQ.jpg

• Like 2

Changed the air conditioner blower fan on a LinkBelt LX210 , it is behind the seat and loads into from the bottom , took 4 hours , no fun , mud divers had built a nest in there and melted the base of the cage 

1XMJrkKfRP6p8SsEoSSCoQ.jpg

• Like 1

oh those little mud dobbers ,can get into some of the smallest of places! the over  head blower fans on cab johndeere, and my pops cab kubota ... had to be the worst, they really build those kubota tractor to last, which is a good, and bad thing because to access the blower fan, one insulated top top cover has to come off, then, the evap / heater coil cover, the one that really blew my mind was a 300 that came in at little Johnny's , and the intake tube (pre air box) was completely blocked with dobbers mud nest. kind of figure those dobbers are extra pain down in y'all's area with it being so humid, and mostly a warmer climate all year long. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

The guys yard where them mud divers got in the a/c blower is horrible with them , I have never seen them worst any where 

you can see how it melted the plastic in this pic 

sd6rNAixTDyqC6kH0LWemA.jpg

• Like 1

wow! spun the center right out of that squirrel cage.... did the operator mention anything about vibration ? or dust coming out of the vents, or did he already know it was already shot ?  the first sign i always got was fan vibration, so it was ether mud dobbers, or bearings / bushings ... I've had those little suckers build in my furness blower fan, i added metal storm screen over the intake, those fans are $375 plus ... lol 

• Like 1

This one blew a hydraulic hose and made a mess in the canal , operator said he had no choice but to continue to run it while it leaked to get back to shore , took 50 gallons to fill it back up , using the bio-degradable oil , didn't see the price of that drum of oil , but bet it was very expensive 

Pk94GBp1RN6JturGMe2Dkw.jpg

0nvWwf2lSh6RC849q03Jew.jpg

• Like 3

This is an up coming job , it is a Komatsu 800 , weighs in at 175,000 pounds , right now it is set up for demo with a LaBounty sheer , the sheer is being sold off , a long reach boom is being built for it to replace the sheer , it is going on a 200 x 40 foot  barge to do rock work along the shore lines of the Louisiana marsh -----the bucket going on it weighs 23,000 pounds and can hold 8 yards of rocks per scoop 

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

• Like 3

I need one of those.

Who am I kidding.  I couldn't afford to run that thing for more than a half hour.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i could put good use to that track hoe fish had a while back, fish what model was that one, i can't find it in the old forums.