well, the tear down has begun !. i thought this was gonna be a complete engine tear down in order to fix the output shaft ?, well, as you can see from the following pics, after i got the motor out of the frame ( yes..without removing the foot rest ), after closer inspection, the center case not only has a busted off output shaft ?, but the whole left side center case is cracked big time !. so, now i must take these two trx300 2wd motors i have on hand, and build one from scratch !.

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Wow , cracked case....  I would have to guess that bearing failure was the cause , maybe the engine was run low of oil ----- and when you get it apart you will find more low oil damage to confirm that 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Wow , cracked case....  I would have to guess that bearing failure was the cause , maybe the engine was run low of oil ----- and when you get it apart you will find more low oil damage to confirm that 

i think your right ?, the swing arm bearing is shot on that side, no telling how long ?, and it made the carrier bearing at the output shaft blow up !.

• Like 1

Wow.  That is ROUGH.

Post lots of pics!  When I get these 500's knocked out I'm moving to 300's next, and I still haven't torn a 300 motor all the way down.

• Like 1

I like lots of pics too , like a service manual ,  wash them hands !!! 

• Like 1

2 1/2 hours, i've split, and torn down to complete trx300 engines, who wants to put one back together ?..lol.

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

• Like 4

Scraping the gaskets is the worst part of the job. The rest is just a puzzle and I like puzzles.

7 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Scraping the gaskets is the worst part of the job. The rest is just a puzzle and I like puzzles.

i use my wire wheel on bench grinder, takes gaskets right off.

We should make Shade his own section on engine rebuild tutorial , cause he is the engine rebuild Guru , he goes thru them faster than corn thru a goose ...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

here's the motor all together, did the best i could, considering i had nothing but junk parts to start with !..lol. i'm tired. enjoy the pics !.

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

• Like 4

Way to go !! Know you must be tired , just looking at all the pics got me tired ..... amazing , one motor dropped valve , one broke the output shaft , double donors , resurrected 

• Like 2

update: after most of the day, the time has arrived !, motor is in, all mocked up, oil added ?, check !, tested for spark ?, check !. short burst of starting fluid ?..check !, second kick ?...SHE LIVES ANOTHER DAY !. but i did hit a short snag !!. the stupid kick starter spring came off where i thought i had it hooked inside the case ?..nope..was not right, had to tilt the ole girl on her side a tad, pull the clutch side cover back off, and discovered the oversight right off the bat when i got the cover off. fixed that real quick, all back together, runs pretty good on a shot of starting fluid, me and my bud are happy campers !.

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

• Like 4

little update: after spending hours working on getting the racks and bumpers in better shape, finally got them straighter than they were. got the carb all back together with a carb kit, installed. front and rear plastics on, all the racks and front bumper installed, tires all mounted, front and rear brakes all fixed and working. spent most of the day yesterday working on the fuel tank, it was full of bad gas, rust out the ying yang !. i was able to scrape the large stuff off inside the top middle, rinsed out with water a dozen times, a few shakes, drain, fill, shake more. then quickly fill it with my parts washer fluid, a few shakes and drains. then i dried it with my heat gun real good, air hose some, then i used my heat gun to dry it really good. i dropped 100 penny's inside the tank ( i counted them before i dropped them in the tank, so i knew how many to get back out !..lol ), a few more flushes with my cleaning fluid, more heat to dry, then i looked it over for rusted through spots..oh man, it was covered with small rusted through spots all low in the bottom , and sides !. well, its now time to prep the area's with my dremel, followed with my fav sealer '' seal all '' to the rescue !. waiting on it to cure, re-check for more holes ?, then will add some gas to look for leaks, more holes ?.

• Like 3

here she is all done, waiting on tank to cure from the '' seal all '' product. i had to come up with the white plastic swing arm bushings for the rear rack swing arm ?, notice the 1 1/4 plain drain pvc plastic you can get from lowes/home depot, just about anywhere that sells plumbing products. i cut sections off to the correct width, then had to slice them long ways in order to fit them around the rear rack, worked great !.

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

• Like 5