Brantley Foreman

2000 Honda Recon 250 New OEM Carb High Idle

My brother in law bought a 2000 Honda Recon 250 about a year ago that had a Chinese carb on it. I told him he needed to replace it soon. Anyway we final got around  to replacing it today. The Honda shop sold us an OEM Honda Carb for the 07-14 Recon because the original carb was no longer available. They assured me it would work. 

We put a new peacock on and then the new carb. 

Once we started it up it idled extremely high, like wide open throttle. I adjusted the idle screw all the way out and it didn’t change the idle. If you pull the choke halfway it’ll idle right. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake boot and there was no change to idle. 

I’ve never had a brand new OEM carb from in the sealed bag have issues. 

Any ideas what could be causing this?

From what i can tell the main and slow jets are the same. I would suspect your throttle cable is too tight and rolling open. Your butterfly valve needs to be completely closed when you cable up the carb. 

2 hours ago, Goober said:

From what i can tell the main and slow jets are the same. I would suspect your throttle cable is too tight and rolling open. Your butterfly valve needs to be completely closed when you cable up the carb. 

recons dont have a butterfly valve in the carbs, they only have a slider. the butterfly valve is only on the choke plunger.

• Like 1

OP, check to make sure your throttle cable is routed correctly into the top of he carb ?, through cap once screwed in, then through the large spring, then runs down the  side of slider, hooks into the bottom of slider.

Just now, shadetree said:

recons dont have a butterfly valve in the carbs, they only have a slider.

thats what I was just replying. The choke controls the butterfly valve and the throttle is connected to the slider for needle jet. 

I thought it might be that the cable was shorter on 2000 vs 2007 cable but when I hooked it up with the original throttle cable the slider was down almost to the bottom on the cylinder head side. 

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

OP, check to make sure your throttle cable is routed correctly into the top of he carb ?, through cap once screwed in, then through the large spring, then runs down the  side of slider, hooks into the bottom of slider.

I can confirm that it is exactly that way. Checked it three times. 

3 minutes ago, Brantley Foreman said:

thats what I was just replying. The choke controls the butterfly valve and the throttle is connected to the slider for needle jet. 

I thought it might be that the cable was shorter on 2000 vs 2007 cable but when I hooked it up with the original throttle cable the slider was down almost to the bottom on the cylinder head side. 

that slider MUST bottom out inside the carb !, if it does not ?, then you get high rev's as if your operating the throttle.

make sure you got the slider sitting correctly inside the carb !..lol. look at the bottom of the slide, it has an angle on one side at the bottom. this faces the idle screw.

6 minutes ago, shadetree said:

that slider MUST bottom out inside the carb !, if it does not ?, then you get high rev's as if your operating the throttle.

Ok so with throttle screw all the way out the slider should rest on bottom of inside. This one has barely any daylight on the cylinder head side. On the intake side it was a larger gap. 

you think I need to get the 2007 throttle cable and that should rectify the situation 

Edited by Brantley Foreman

3 minutes ago, shadetree said:

make sure you got the slider sitting correctly inside the carb !..lol. look at the bottom of the slide, it has an angle on one side at the bottom. this faces the idle screw.

I can confirm it’s in there correct. Angled notch is toward the idle screw

4 minutes ago, Brantley Foreman said:

Ok so with throttle screw all the way out the slider should rest on bottom of inside. This one has barely any daylight. On the intake side it was a larger gap. 

you think I need to get the 2007 throttle cable and that should rectify the situation 

throttle at bars is screwed all the way in, idle screw is turned all the way out so slider is sitting on bottom of carb, you can check this with the throttle cable not attached to the slider, this will let slider all the way down in carb.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

throttle at bars is screwed all the way in, idle screw is turned all the way out so slider is sitting on bottom of carb, you can check this with the throttle cable not attached to the slider, this will let slider all the way down in carb.

So if I’m tracking with you, when the slider should be at the same spot when cable is not attached and when cable is attached and throttle screw is all the way out. 

I think based on that the 2000 recon throttle cable is shorter than 2007 recon throttle cable

Rocky Mountain ATV shows two part numbers—possibly the cable sleeve on the 07 is shorter—overall length could be the same.

17920-HM8-B00 for the 07 carb.

17920-HM8-305 for the ‘00

8 hours ago, Brantley Foreman said:

So if I’m tracking with you, when the slider should be at the same spot when cable is not attached and when cable is attached and throttle screw is all the way out. 

I think based on that the 2000 recon throttle cable is shorter than 2007 recon throttle cable

correct. either or throttle cable attached ?, slider should rest on bottom of carb at all times.

So we put the screw cap from the original carb on the slide tube and it reduced the rpms at idle but still high. 

my brother in law text me yesterday evening to say that he now has to press throttle to keep it idling. Not sure why it has now gone to the other extreme. 

I’ll keep y’all posted and thanks as always for the advice. 

3 hours ago, Brantley Foreman said:

So we put the screw cap from the original carb on the slide tube and it reduced the rpms at idle but still high. 

my brother in law text me yesterday evening to say that he now has to press throttle to keep it idling. Not sure why it has now gone to the other extreme. 

I’ll keep y’all posted and thanks as always for the advice. 

turn the idle back up at the carb

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

turn the idle back up at the carb

I know that I’m just confused at why it had extremely high rpms and then after the cap change it still had it until miraculously it has the other extreme without any changes. 

3 hours ago, Brantley Foreman said:

I know that I’m just confused at why it had extremely high rpms and then after the cap change it still had it until miraculously it has the other extreme without any changes. 

throttle cable may have been in a bind somewhere ?.