All Out Riding

WTB 2013 rancher ES

I found a 2013 Honda rancher ES with 11,000 miles for $1,000. It needs new tires, front wheel bearings, (which owner has but needs to be installed) and rear driveshaft alpines. Is it worth the money or will it be to much work. It has alot of miles and I am not sure what rear driveshaft alpines are so not quite sure how much work it will be. In the ad it says the rear driveshaft alpines could just be welded up is that a good idea?

Is it worth the money?

Is it a waist of time? 

Any help would be appreciated.

are you cable of doing the work to get it going again?

starts and runs fine?  No smoke at all?

ES shifting all works good?

Id say $700.00 but I have no idea what 2013 ranchers are worth.

Yes everything else works fine, no smoke, and I have a friend that can help me. In my area there going for about $3,000 in good to excellent condition.

Edited by All Out Riding

i don't know what rear drive shaft alpines are ?, but i think the ad should said rear drive shaft ?, or rear differential ?. if its the rear diff ?, this could get pretty pricey from a ring and pinion gear, bearings, oils seals. if its just the rear out put drive shaft going to the rear diff ?, its not a bad price, 1k seems low for that year, makes me wonder what they are hiding ??.

If it runs good with no smoke, and is 4wd it should easily be worth 1K.  Rear diffs are weak, so you might have to replace the rear diff, axle,and hubs.  That will run you several hundred, but even so, if the engine is good it would be a decent buy.

Good point. 

I normally try not to pay more than I KNOW I can get for about 1/2 the parts if I were to part one out.

So with a good running engine I think $1K wouldn't be too hard to get.  Front brakes would bring $250ish

• Like 1

From what I get out the description is it is a pinion collar which bolts to the pinion gear and mates via a spline to the drive shaft is what must be stripped   I have changed that part and the driveshaft on both my 450s.  what throws me is the “ it can be welded” can’t figure that out on how he planned to do it and if it would properly work out.  11,000 miles to me is a lot and it sounds like you are not mechanically familiar with it. I think you should look some more and not get into something that might become a money pit. Like goober said 4 tires. So if it is just the drive shaft and collar you are going to be at least 1600 to 1700.  You can find something better for that much 

I'm going to guess the rear axle and ring gear splines are stripped out, pretty common on these machines. Best case roughly a $300 fix but that can go up quickly depending on what all you find wrong. That kind of mileage is pretty normal around here and price seems about normal as well.

I misread that mileage to be 1100.  I don't think I'd put out much for one with 11K miles on it.  Even if the engine is running good, it's going to have a lot of wear with those miles.

Just curious what price you would pay for this. It is still up for sale and he may drop his price a bit since it has been up for a while.

In my area I would have bought it already, fixed it and sold it for $3,000. See how low they will go.