Steviejim

Terrain and riding styles

I was curious as to what terrain and what everyone’s riding style is on it?

We tend to like the old logging and stagecoach roads, that take us to the very tops of the Green mountains of Vermont state. These old roads tend to link up with stagecoach roads from the past, and the networks go all over, and even into neighboring states. The old stagecoach roads take you into old logging towns of the 1800s when the mountains were dotted with the old settlements, we come across old abandoned charcoal kilns where they made and imported charcoal to citys and towns, old cemeteries from as early as 1700s in the middle of nowhere,  and we can explore old logging camps.  We pack lunch, a 6 pack, and head out for usually a full day,  and half the night, bring a small chain saw as we find blowdowns from storms etc,. Other times we ride the dirt roads that take you all over Southern Vermont where alot of towns are now ATV friendly,  and allow ATVs to ride any road through town,  as long as we are registered and mind speed limits they welcome the business. So we do alot of varied mountainous terrain, and never seem to get bored. And cruise into neighboring towns for lunch and a beer on the dirt roads that run through the mountain bases and connect towns.

• Like 5

Swamp lands.  Poisonous snakes. Alligators. All fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steviejim said:

Wouldn’t want to get stuck in those snake infested swamps!!

You right about that.  That’s the incentive to not get stuck. ——— There are “20 “ ft long water moccasins that will make a anaconda blush lol. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I mostly ride on our family land which is ridges,bottoms,deep sloughs ,pipelines and lots of gravel roads used by gas well workers.

• Like 1

ride family lands and also go up around the ouchita mountains and ride

• Like 2

It amazing all the different terrains members have to ride , I always say what tires works good in one area  , isn't always good in another and who really needs brakes LOL 

• Like 2

When playing it's mostly water, silty mud or sandy stuff with hard packed trails getting from place to place. On average I probably put more miles on the gravel and asphalt roads (different machines). We have the snow, ice, hills, flats, rocks, etc. A little of everything and nothing too specific.

• Like 1

Probably the most fun part for us is the hill climbs we encounter on the mountain slopes when conditions are right and you hit the track right theres nothing like breaking the top of a mountain after climbing that last ridge.

its pretty amazing how versatile these machines are with all the different terrain around the country and they do it all!!

• Like 1

Anybody live in towns that are actually ATV friendly? More and more are starting to realize the potential for income by opening up and letting ATVers use there roads around here. Just wondering if other parts of the country are doing the same!

on a weekend its not unusual to see 30-40 using these towns, stopping for lunch, gas, whatever and again it seems to be spreading!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toodeep said:

When playing it's mostly water, silty mud or sandy stuff with hard packed trails getting from place to place. On average I probably put more miles on the gravel and asphalt roads (different machines). We have the snow, ice, hills, flats, rocks, etc. A little of everything and nothing too specific.

What part of country you in Toodeep?

• Like 1

i ride on dry land ( its not a boat !..lol ) gravel roads, a few trails i take, nothing my itp mudlite AT's cant handle.

• Like 1

I heard rumors of a dry trail some where close to me , personally I have never found it yet , it is elusive ,  a rainbow or the Wizard of Oz might be of help to find it ,  the only dry one I know of , is the gravel road to the boat launch , and on a high tide it goes under  !!! LOL 

• Haha 3

We have a tributary to the Mississippi river that runs right past the end of my street.  We ride along that river.  Most of the land is in trees due to rolling hills along Crowley's Ridge, and the flat areas either burn up or flood every year so it's all been put into WRP or CRP ground.

And it sounds similar to Fish's terrain.  Lots of peanut butter mud/ Mississippi River Gumbo.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steviejim said:

What part of country you in Toodeep?

South Dakota and we can street legalize them here so seeing them out on the roads is common. 

This was my Sunday ride, nice and slow. 

20200315_125929.jpg

• Like 3

Alot of our smaller towns are open to them now. Five or more counties around here are open for use on all county roads. We have everything from logging trails, glacial moraines, gravel, clay, peat bogs and swamps. We also have hundreds of miles of designated trails. Most of this is in the northern half of the state though. Too many people and private/farming land in southern half.

• Like 1

Here in Michigan you can ride on the shoulder of secondary roads with ATV's as long as you have a current ORV sticker on your machine.

Here in PA there are rural townships that allow ATV's on certain roads as long as you have registration and insurance.  Lots of different types of places to ride from mountains to swamps.

• Like 1

I travel 3 hours to ride trails. Everyone in northern ohio is way to stuck up to allow atvs on there land. And they will call the shariff on you if seen. The closest places to ride for me are mx tracks. 30 minute drive to those. Gotta have oma card for most. You can technically ride on the side of the country roads but again people will complain. Cops will get called everytime. I did ride at a national forest and we camped there in a small town you could ride up to the gas station and dollar general. Got alot of dirty looks even there. And its 100% legal. The places 3 hours away are perry state forest and bundyhill in michigan. Perry is free requires registration and tags. Bundy cost 20 bucks a day and requires nothing. If it has wheels and you can ride in it or on it pretty much lol

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:10 AM, jeepwm69 said:

We have a tributary to the Mississippi river that runs right past the end of my street.  We ride along that river.  Most of the land is in trees due to rolling hills along Crowley's Ridge, and the flat areas either burn up or flood every year so it's all been put into WRP or CRP ground.

And it sounds similar to Fish's terrain.  Lots of peanut butter mud/ Mississippi River Gumbo.

Peanut butter is some bad stuff , especially if you have a cooler , it gets in there and turns to cement when it dries 

97% of the land in this state is privately owned, not many places to ride. one small trail near where I dear hunt, short and crowded.  Most ATV's in this state are used by the farming community. I use mine as a tool, snow removal, hauling dear, brush and general yard work.I envy some of you folks that can ride out your backdoor in snake country, mountains and hills. None of that here. 

• Like 1

Supposedly around here you can skirt the ATV on the roads laws by carrying a shovel or other tool.  Farm equipment is allowed to be on the road/shoulder of the road, so if you're "working" they can't cite you.

That probably doesn't work if you're a 12 pack deep in the cooler though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here we can license our machines. All you have to do to make it street legal is add a horn, a mirror,  and a lighted license plate holder.  Since most come with head lights and tail lights it's pretty easy. We also purchase a trail sticker.  The courthouse gives us a plate and the sticker, we put both on the machine and that's it.  We can ride  any non interstate type road, paved or not, in town where ever we want as long as we are following traffic signs and speeds.The sticker allows us access to any Forest service trail available to ATV's. There are some that are motorcycle only, Motorcyclists have it the easiest, the duel-sport machines are street legal, and they can ride all forest service roads and trails,  plus there are single track motorcycle trails for those types of bikes only.  The majority of our trails are in the 50" or less catagory which is atv width as well allowing 50" side X side's. I personally don't have many trails that are accessible from my house very easily.  We actually may have 1 or 2 and you would have to ride a mile or two on pavement, then 15 or so on gravel roads to finally get to a trail head so is better to just trailer our machines to the trail heads. But a lot of trailheads are easily within 20-30 minutes from the house. Pretty fortunate.

20190824_201207.jpg

20190810_160959.jpg

20190810_172732.jpg

20190727_123355.jpg

20181020_151901.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Here we can license our machines. All you have to do to make it street legal is add a horn, a mirror,  and a lighted license plate holder.  Since most come with head lights and tail lights it's pretty easy. We also purchase a trail sticker.  The courthouse gives us a plate and the sticker, we put both on the machine and that's it.  We can ride  any non interstate type road, paved or not, in town where ever we want as long as we are following traffic signs and speeds.The sticker allows us access to any Forest service trail available to ATV's. There are some that are motorcycle only, Motorcyclists have it the easiest, the duel-sport machines are street legal, and they can ride all forest service roads and trails,  plus there are single track motorcycle trails for those types of bikes only.  The majority of our trails are in the 50" or less catagory which is atv width as well allowing 50" side X side's. I personally don't have many trails that are accessible from my house very easily.  We actually may have 1 or 2 and you would have to ride a mile or two on pavement, then 15 or so on gravel roads to finally get to a trail head so is better to just trailer our machines to the trail heads. But a lot of trailheads are easily within 20-30 minutes from the house. Pretty fortunate.

20190824_201207.jpg

20190810_160959.jpg

20190810_172732.jpg

20190727_123355.jpg

20181020_151901.jpg

Nice country! 
Ever run into Bigfoot on the trail??

lol

• Like 1