Steviejim

Terrain and riding styles

20 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Supposedly around here you can skirt the ATV on the roads laws by carrying a shovel or other tool.  Farm equipment is allowed to be on the road/shoulder of the road, so if you're "working" they can't cite you.

That probably doesn't work if you're a 12 pack deep in the cooler though.

Bet theres a whole lot of shovels and rakes gettin carted around!!

Dem crackheads be worst than moccasins , don't let one bite you , ever seen the teeth on'em , woooo man   !

• Haha 1

421B5C95-CA6C-4164-8CB3-0647ABD6D1E8.jpeg

Most of our riding is on Forest Service gravel roads and old “logging trails”. Cost $25 a year per machine for a permit. 

We keep ours licensed for the street as well. So we can ride anywhere but the Interstate System. 

Edited by Outnback
  • Like 3

No. But have seen plenty of sign! LOL!!

Also when we license ours they are a permanent license plates and stickers

• Like 1

We have to renew every year with our stickers, cant ride off your property without em, but they also honor out of state stickers here so if your out of state you dont need to buy a pass or anything as long as your registered in another state!

On 3/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, Freedomflyer said:

No. But have seen plenty of sign! LOL!!

Some said " sign " of BigFoot --- stay on the designated  trails , he will steal your Coors Lite 

fullsizeoutput_bd0.jpeg

LOL Fish! We had a very close friend that passed away last June after a 6 year battle with a very rare case of appendial cancer. She shared a story with us of a trip that she and her husband took down to Colorado to see his sister. They went on a small tour bus to go see one of the higher peaks in the state.  She was a very sweet person and loved meeting and visiting with new people so naturally she and her husband sat right behind the driver. After asking some poignant questions in Julie fashion, she quickly found out where he moved from knowing by his accent he wasn't from the area. Throughout the visit it was apparent he was there living out his life long dream of finding Bigfoot. The more he talked,  the more excited he became proving it more of an obsession than a dream. During different stops he broke out his phone touting pictures of proof of Bigfoots existence, intelligence,  and communities.  Pictures of constructed passage ways,(overgrown logging roads), communal gathering places, (standing deadwood that has fallen over leaning on other trees, Widow makers, or just bent over in a big arch) explaining, "That just doesnt happen!!"  Addiment that every bent over tree, every leaner, and every slash pile were warnings to stay away from "Their" area.  Over the years she had a lot of fun with that stopping in the middle of the forest or along a trail breaking into a monologue about the way the trees were leaning or piled up pointing around and making the statement "That just doesnt Happen!!!"  We really miss her, our rides will never be the same.

20180707_110234.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Very pretty lady , nice smile , looks she was having fun that day  , God bless her !!! 

• Like 1

Thanks. Yup, Pretty inside and out, she was only 49. Been 9 months her husband is not doing very well, really struggling try to call him every week. A lot tougher for him now with us being in shelter in place. He's a teacher so with schools being shut down they are trying to teach from home remotely. Plus he's there alone so making it really hard. 

• Like 3

The Black Hills offers another playground the locals call 'Farmingdale' or 'The Buttes' but Railroad Buttes (offical name) offers a whole different riding experience than the trails found "in the hills". From rolling plain riding, hill climbing, motocross to riding the badlands. The Table (a big butte) just off the main access road is center attraction and next to it is the main parking lot that even provides a biffy! There is no shade and no potable water so means of hydration is bring your own. Very dusty when dry but if its wet do yourself a favor and skip it... Missouri mud has nothing on this stuff. 

I've been riding and camping out here for the better part of 30 years and is always my first place to go come spring.

Cell reception is none to poor and having an accident out here is royally bad news even though it's just 30 minutes from the nearest hospital. Over the years I've seen some really bad accidents and deaths aren't uncommon.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nebraska/recarea/?recid=10632

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/south_dakota_10685/ride_cd37.htm

20200426_124642.jpg

20200426_122828.jpg

• Like 3

I live on the shore of a 1100 sq/km salt water lake (621sq/mile) which is surrounded almost entirely by hills and low mountains. In the mountains there are many lakes/streams all feeding the main lake. Terrain is boggy and very rocky. Many, many trees. 

FB_IMG_1589818009491.jpg

FB_IMG_1589833440404.jpg

FB_IMG_1589833414428.jpg

Screenshot_20200518-172237_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200518-172041_Facebook.jpg

FB_IMG_1589833963404.jpg

FB_IMG_1589834054315.jpg

FB_IMG_1589834114121.jpg

• Like 8

3rd pic from bottom is the Atlantic Ocean in the background. Cape Breton Island where I live is basiclly surrounded by the Atlantic, with a huge lake in the middle. 

Edited by Dredd

That's some bog filled area there! Love the contrast of rocky area and the trees with all the colors. Always thought it would be cool to be able to ride somewhere that would be next to the ocean. Looks like there was quite a group.  Thanks for sharing the pics. Have a ride planned for Labor day,  possibly my two brothers and their wives are going to go.  Will be a first for my oldest brother. Looks like weather is going to cooperate. 

Thank you. The second pic from the bottom was actually featured in Dirt Wheels magazine back in 2014. I used to have a hard copy of it but have lost it over the years.  

• Like 2

Man, when you get on Google maps it makes you realize how small we really are and what a variety of landscape there is on this earth. Living in an area with that much water around would be so foreign to me. Our area is so dry in comparison. That looks like it would be a cool place to visit,  I love seeing the ocean and coastlines of any kind. Very beautiful! Where I live is so unbelievably landlocked we have to drive 800 miles to get to the Pacific coast. When we ride or hike to the highest points in our area all we see in every direction is mountains, trees and farmland. I think it would take some getting use to to be around all that salt water, and humidity.  All that to say it sure is a Beautiful area.  I  can sure see why people like to travel to see different parts of North America.  Thanks again for the pics.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 5:40 AM, Steviejim said:

We have to renew every year with our stickers, cant ride off your property without em, but they also honor out of state stickers here so if your out of state you dont need to buy a pass or anything as long as your registered in another state!

As far as I know, Mississippi, where I live, doesn't have atv registration stickers.  You are allowed to title them, or not.  There are some specific rules for state parks.  So I guess if I came there, they have a weekend pass or something.

I ride mostly on property around my house.  I have taken a sxs to WV for a group ride.  I will occasionally go to a park at Fluker, LA called Tower Trax, which is around 2500 acres, lots of mud that I mostly skirt but decent trails for fairly leisurely riding, which I like.  We take the sxs and/or the atvs there.  I bet Fish has been there. There's a few other places, but they are rare.

Pretty flat ground here in Eastern NC. There use to be a good stretch you could ride but the wrong people found out and tore up fields and property and the paths were shut down. I just stick to my inlaws place.

• Like 1

Loaded and ready to go for tomorrow! Supposed to be about 70 perfect riding weather! Get to share a riding area with 2 of my brothers, a good friend, and their wives.

20200524_183929.jpg

20200524_184407.jpg

• Like 2

Dredd,  been looking at photos and images of Cape Breton, that place is beautiful!!! If the world ever opens back up that would be worth the trip to go see someday. Pretty cool.

27 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

Loaded and ready to go for tomorrow! Supposed to be about 70 perfect riding weather! Get to share a riding area with 2 of my brothers, a good friend, and their wives.

20200524_183929.jpg

20200524_184407.jpg

Sounds like fun....Y'all have a good time.

It is a beautiful spot to live. Not a great place to work, as the number of jobs is limited. Mostly lobster fishermen and until lately a lot of forestry workers. Humidity is close to 100% at all times and if your car is sitting in your driveway you can hear it rusting. Vechicles dont last long around here. The winters are brutal but the summers are awesome. 

north-mountain-road-closure.jpg

hi-snow-north-mountain.jpg

Edited by Dredd
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dredd said:

It is a beautiful spot to live. Not a great place to work, as the number of jobs is limited. Mostly lobster fishermen and until lately a lot of forestry workers. Humidity is close to 100% at all times and if your car is sitting in your driveway you can hear it rusting. Vechicles dont last long around here. The winters are brutal but the summers are awesome. 

north-mountain-road-closure.jpg

hi-snow-north-mountain.jpg

smEpJcO.jpg

e333bd12c105c50aabd0afa9806630af.jpg

• Like 2