Turbo Twister

98' Honda TRX300FW

Here's how my day out went. We borrowed a friends trailer to bring the chainsaw gear to the trees we had to chop up, just about 500m from the van to the tree. The route consists of gravel road for maybe 100m, then a muddy stony lane down into a valley, followed by a grassy lane way up the other side of the valley to the tree on the side of the hill.

The trip down was fine. We both cut for about 3 hours and were running low on fuel so I filled up the trailer with wood, almost to the top and proceeded to drive back to the van to get more fuel.

First problem, nowhere near enough weight on the front of the bike. As I climbed back up the stoney road, all wheels spun but the bike was like a sitting duck, the front was starting to lift so I threw off about 20 rings to reduce trailer weight and eventually got up to the van. Lesson learnt! Only half fill the trailer!

On the way back down, I put 4 of the rings I threw off into my new wooden box to act as weights. I only half filled the next few loads but managed to sail up the stoney road with no issues..16 return trips and 3 hours later my own trailer was full with wood!

Overall the bike ran well, with the fan coming on the odd time, although I suspect it came on more often due to the tiny oil leak burning off the exhaust manifold. The Daxara trailer is a bit heavy for my bike, when I get my own trailer finished it will be about 40-50kg lighter, 2 ft shorter overall and a bit narrower, but it will also be lower to the ground.

On a side note, does anyone else notice that the rear right tyre throws up more muck than any other wheel on the bike? This side always seems to get dirty quicker! I need to get longer mudflaps to stop destroying anything in the trailer behind with mud!

Bonus**

The photo of the strap and wedge is a trick I learnt years ago, how to turn a log over with basic tools and something with a bit of leverage behind it, in this case the quad!

20200229_091637.jpg

20200229_143412.jpg

20200229_135827.jpg

• Like 5

rear axle turns the same on both sides, its not a split axle, solid axle, just like positive traction in cars, both sides will always turn the same speed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shadetree said:

rear axle turns the same on both sides, its not a split axle, solid axle, just like positive traction in cars, both sides will always turn the same speed.

I am aware both wheels spin together always. I think the issue is a bent mud flap on the right side allowing more muck to fly! I may give the bike a wash soon, it's manky😜

problem, nowhere near enough weight on the front of the bike. As I climbed back up the stoney road, all wheels spun but the bike was like a sitting duck, the front was starting to lift so I threw off about 20 rings to reduce trailer weight and eventually got up to the van. Lesson learnt! Only half fill the trailer!

ive been in some hairy situations .... Hauling wood... You can't load one that heavy and maintain control on hilly terrain .... Always have just enough trailer tongue weight to allow all 4 wheels to bite .. And even then it's dangerous .... What i do is load the trailer in the center ... Right over the trailer axle .... Then move forward... Always load a tad more in front of the trailer axle ... ... If i can un latch my loaded trailer , and lift the tongue (by hand about 50 +-lbs)  then I'm pulling a perfect balanced load. IMO longer tongue trailers are much Safer to control .... If you get dragged backwards (less chance of a jack knife) 

• Like 3

Slightly off topic but this may be of interest to some of you. I Have a small petrol wood chipper and have never liked the out feed chute on it. The original ond was round and curved but the top of the cute was narrower than the bottom of it, so I finally  got around to cutting off the round top and made a whole new square shaped one, hopefully this one won't block up as often or at all!

20200304_205341.jpg

20200304_205330.jpg

20200304_205313.jpg

20200304_205306.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

Slightly off topic but this may be of interest to some of you. I Have a small petrol wood chipper and have never liked the out feed chute on it. The original ond was round and curved but the top of the cute was narrower than the bottom of it, so I finally  got around to cutting off the round top and made a whole new square shaped one, hopefully this one won't block up as often or at all!

20200304_205341.jpg

20200304_205330.jpg

20200304_205313.jpg

20200304_205306.jpg

I need to get me a chipper.  It would have to be bigger than that to fit my daughter's boyfriend...I mean...er...some bigger bits of wood into.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I need to get me a chipper.  It would have to be bigger than that to fit my daughter's boyfriend...I mean...er...some bigger bits of wood into.....

You know how to butcher a deer don't  you?.......smaller pieces.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

This chipper is a little animal! I bought it when I was out with a back injury for nearly 6 months about 2.5 years ago. I won some money on a radio station (24k euro approximately) and treated myself to a little investment! It was around €1500 new.

This one has a 5.5hp 200cc Loncin engine, belt driven with 2x reversible blades that mash up anything to about 1.75 inch diameter (45mm).

I only have about 46 hours on the clock since I got it but it has chipped some amount of stuff for me. I have had to weld the bottom end of both chutes as they have both cracked with the thin crappy steel they're made of. It also had a terrible kill switch bar, anytime you leaned towards the infeed chute  your leg would kill the power. So I removed the bar and fit an emergency stop button instead! Much better and still safe to use, it's also easier to access than the on/off switch. 

The only big downside is the weight of it, about 86 kg total. I made a front swivel axle for it with the help of a welder friend, so when I push it, it's on 4 wheels and easier to move around, when it's chipping it sits on 2 wheels so as not to vibrate away!

20200301_165156.jpg

• Like 3

It must have a small drum with the knives below the motor? Mine is different but also shreds. It has a big disk/drum with the chipper knives on one side and shredder teeth on the other. It's all motor direct, no belt that can slip if needed. Yours, if it's built the way I think it is, should take a lot less power to work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toodeep said:

It must have a small drum with the knives below the motor? Mine is different but also shreds. It has a big disk/drum with the chipper knives on one side and shredder teeth on the other. It's all motor direct, no belt that can slip if needed. Yours, if it's built the way I think it is, should take a lot less power to work.

Correct, a drum about 6 inches diameter with opposite blades that are reversible for quick blade change. I also got a spare set with them untouched so far. I get about 10 hours chipping per sharpen, which in my book is good cus I won't chip unless I have a stock pile of branches.

I think the drum rotates at about 15000rpm but I could be wrong, it sucks in small stuff in a shot so I wouldn't like to have a finger or hand go in! The belt is brilliant, if something gets stuck or jams it won't burn the clutch, the belt slips and I knock off the engine straight away. Its funny, most of the time it's a tiny piece of wood chip that stops the drum dead!

The guy that sold it to me said it can take 4inch branches and I laughed at him, it will, at a rate of about an inch a minute. There are bigger machines for bigger timber! I got this one as it not only fits in the van, but I can bring it through someone's house if they have no side access to their back garden. Saves dragging loads of branches through the house..

• Like 1

24K Euro, you lucky dog !!!!  How much would that be in the USA , what you had to do , answer some trivia question ?? 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

24K Euro, you lucky dog !!!!  How much would that be in the USA , what you had to do , answer some trivia question ?? 

Approximately $27200 Fish!

It was called the "secret sound", they played a sound on the radio and you had to guess what it was.

The answer was, taking a screwdriver bit out of a hand ratchet screwdriver and putting it back in again!😂😂 my ex girlfriend's mother had the answer but because they rang me back, I got the money split 3 ways! So we ended up with €7800 ($8840) each!

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 2

They use to do call in like that here , now days it is text to a number with the answer , so they can sell your number to tele-marketers , so I don't participate ----I texted the  answer  for a sports question and my prize was now I get bombarder with   the bookies texting and calling to sell me the winners 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

They use to do call in like that here , now days it is text to a number with the answer , so they can sell your number to tele-marketers , so I don't participate ----I texted the  answer  for a sports question and my prize was now I get bombarder with   the bookies texting and calling to sell me the winners 

Due to GDPR here in Europe, that kind of stuff is not allowed (although I'm sure it does happen).

But it's a pain when it does happen!

Here's a few snaps of the chute top painted, I'll try get a video of it running later.

20200306_084847.jpg

20200306_084907.jpg

15835082150572744004118445403183.jpg

15835085088134280791964028647815.jpg

15835085281693696328588593619586.jpg

The chute is a success! No issues as of yet, we chipped for about an hour with no problems at all. It actually appeared to work as a better vacuum than the old chute. Will attempt a video post soon, need to upload it to youtube I assume?

20200306_155422.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking hitch , I have never seen one like that before ..... with that slot on the back side ,  it looks like it is capable of being hooked up with hydraulic surge brakes  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Nice looking hitch , I have never seen one like that before ..... with that slot on the back side ,  it looks like it is capable of being hooked up with hydraulic surge brakes  

Which slot are you referring to Fish? (Pic 1)

The reason I went for a new hitch is the one I put on the drawbar is actually very stiff and i find it difficult to unhitch when on the quad. I needed something easier to manage (and for dad too) so I just bought a brand new one. I've never seen the likes of it either, the front black bits are made of strong rubber.

Dad picked up new bearings and hubs for the rubber suspension mounts a few months ago so I plan to tear them down soon, repaint the rubber suspension housings and then put it all back together.

15837822984546402790892836486141.jpg

20200309_193039.jpg

I see now that you turned it around that wasn't a slot ,  it is a decal ------  here is a pic of a Bull Dog hitch with a surge brake built into it , that lever  in the pic  is the emergency break away lever , that would only activate if a break away would happen ---------   under normal conditions , when you apply the brake on the truck , the trailer weight pushes on a master cylinder inside the tongue and applies the brakes 

download (1).png

• Like 1

I see you got some big bearing in those hubs , good deal , Bearing Buddies are big down south here , the drive into the end of the hub instead of the cap  , they have a grease fitting and a spring over a plunger , you grease them with a grease gun and they grease your bearings on your hubs for you 

• Like 1

Bearing buddies , these in the pic  are chrome and cheapy's for about $11 a set , the stainless steel version is about $30 , when you are backing your boat trailer into slat water , I want the stainless ones ----they come in different diameters to fit the hubs 

bearing buddies .jpg

• Like 3

After some thorough inspection of the rubber blocks, and a physical test of the suspension movement by dad, we have agreed that the old rubber suspension units are seized, perished and therefore rendered useless.

The hub that I did remove, the seal at the back of it was worn and there was grease everywhere! I use a spray called TJep and its brilliant for cleaning off grime or grease.. I use it to clean my 2 Paslode gas nail guns aswell. 

So I will have to buy new rubber suspension units and redo the mounting plates on the trailer to suit them.

20200309_195329.jpg

20200309_194159.jpg

20200309_194150.jpg

20200309_193817.jpg

It turned out that the suspension units from the old trailer are seized solid. I managed to remove the grease nipples ( two per hub) and spray the pivot points with rust killer but could not get them to break free, even with heat. So we bit the bullet and bought two new Knott-Avonride 550 kg suspension units with hubs. It turns out that they were out of stock so we won't have them until tomorrow week. So trailer construction goes on the long finger for a while.

• Like 4

On 3/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, Bluezulu49 said:

It turned out that the suspension units from the old trailer are seized solid. I managed to remove the grease nipples ( two per hub) and spray the pivot points with rust killer but could not get them to break free, even with heat. So we bit the bullet and bought two new Knott-Avonride 550 kg suspension units with hubs. It turns out that they were out of stock so we won't have them until tomorrow week. So trailer construction goes on the long finger for a while.

Apart from painting, that can continue!🙈

• Like 1