Turbo Twister

98' Honda TRX300FW

Today we are about to start the dreaded tear down of the head of the engine to fix the oil leak that we had since I bought the bike just over a year ago! We will possibly need some advice as we go along!

Today we are about to start the dreaded tear down of the head of the engine to fix the oil leak that we had since I bought the bike just over a year ago! We will possibly need some advice as we go along!

8 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

so what is leaking ? The rubber cam cap ? 

This, I don't know the name of it but I need to clear everything from the garage into the van first as my mess keeps going back and forth😂

1592659251421481953988004563082.jpg

• Like 1

We spent a while looking for the alignment "T" mark, not knowing which cover it was behind, but now we have the head off so we are making some progress.

The old rubber grommet was worn, the 2 round ridges are worn flat and it looks like it was repaired previously with Honda bond or similar when it was opened.

Dad is cleaning the bottom of the mating surface of the camshaft cover before we refit it.

15926624385465578051431600998354.jpg

20200620_153136.jpg

20200620_153454.jpg

20200620_153509.jpg

• Like 3

We spent a while looking for the alignment "T" mark, not knowing which cover it was behind, but we got the head off.

The old rubber grommet was worn, the 2 round ridges are worn flat and it looks like it was repaired previously with Honda bond or similar when it was opened in the past.

Dad cleaned the bottom of the mating surface of the camshaft cover before we refit it with a new Honda bond seal and the new rubber grommet.

Dad spent a good while adjusting the 2 valves, the front one was a bugger to get at due to the small amount of space, but it's all back together again so fingers crossed the leak is fixed now.

Next job is to fix the bash plate and drill a big hole under where the oil sump nut is so I don't have to remove the basj plate during any services.

20200620_162848.jpg

20200620_160920.jpg

20200620_155501.jpg

20200620_153716.jpg

20200620_153712.jpg

20200620_153515.jpg

20200620_153509.jpg

20200620_153454.jpg

20200620_153136.jpg

• Like 1

I ordered a toothed drive belt on Saturday, so I hope to have it this week or early next. I have the driving side bearings refit to either side of the sprocket pulley with new bearings, bolts and nuts.

Tomorrow I will buy 16mm threaded bar and nuts so I can finally shim the wheels and bolt them on permanently. 

More to come soon!

20200622_183708.jpg

20200622_183654.jpg

20200622_183016.jpg

• Like 1

New parts really do make anything look great! I need to order a new drive pulley that will be ontop of the extended shaft over the sprocket pulley, unfortunately it didn't come with one. Time to see where I can sit the engine, I'm thinking of having it directly on top of the lower drive belt area, with a quickly detachable frame so I can change the belts with relatively little hassle. It should also be well balanced here.

15928500805818279751830529919663.jpg

20200622_200027.jpg

20200622_200024.jpg

20200622_200017.jpg

• Like 2

I read something about timing so the blades don't hit one another , are the sprockets /gears marked for timing ?   if not then maybe you should mark them for the future 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I read something about timing so the blades don't hit one another , are the sprockets /gears marked for timing ?   if not then maybe you should mark them for the future 

I just realised I posted everything mower related in the wrong thread🤦‍♂️Doh!!

I'm not sure it they are marked for timing, but I can use the notch on the inside of the sprocket as a guide for locating the blades, I will have to play around with it I reckon and hand turn or use an electric drill to rotate them to make sure there is no striking. 

I was chatting to a farmer friend of mine earlier who wants me to mow about 10 acres for him once I get it running 😅 no pressure!

I'll get stuck into starting the frame to hold the engine tomorrow hopefully, I'm contemplating getting wider wheels though as the engine is about 30kg and I think the narrow wheels will cut into the ground if its any way wet..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

to answer your question ... yes timing with this type .. is an an issues sence 8 blades per disk can be used instead of 2 per disk ... but it's not like exact timing ... .... so i wouldn't think there would be timing gear marks ... mostly just eye ball the blade orientation .... but again ... this is a cog belt drive ... where as I've only delt with timed geared cutters (disk mowers, twin blade bush hogs etc )  which also had no timing marks, but this does raise my curiosity... if you saw the original blades pics he posted in the other thread..(from the the original owner) it's plain to see the blades struck one another .. but again this is why i like this belt design ....  my point is there are no gear vertical drive shafts, or  boxes to be damaged ... and with this timing belt drive setup..... so, there shouldn't be too much of an issue re timing the blades. 

• Like 1

Back on to the original topic!. 
Turbo just came back from holidays with the mower and there is a light film of oil on the camshaft cover. It appears to be coming from a failed o ring on the exhaust valve rocker shaft. I note that there is a reference in the manual to grinding the rocker arm dowel pins and removing them with a special tool. Is it strictly necessary to do this or is there another way to get the pins out?

Thanks.

Rocker arm shaft dowel pin removal..jpg

Edited by Bluezulu49
Remove double posted image.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluezulu49 said:

Back on to the original topic!. 
Turbo just came back from holidays with the mower and there is a light film of oil on the camshaft cover. It appears to be coming from a failed o ring on the exhaust valve rocker shaft. I note that there is a reference in the manual to grinding the rocker arm dowel pins and removing them with a special tool. Is it strictly necessary to do this or is there another way to get the pins out?

Thanks.

Rocker arm shaft dowel pin removal..jpg

put the pin in a large bench vise, twist the rocker box while pulling it off the pin. forget about what the book says !.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bluezulu49 said:

Will do. Many thanks Shade.

your welcome :-).

• Like 1

Just want to report that Shade's advice on removing the rocker arm shaft pins worked very well. This week I took the opportunity of a windless day, (no good for fly fishing in a boat ), to take off the cam cover and change the o rings in the rocker arm shafts. It took a while to free the pins using Shade's vice method but they came out and as I suspected the o rings were very hard. There was no elasticity left in them so they both broke as I was taking them off with a pick. The new ones went on fine and I pressed the locking pins back gently using the vice.

No pictures I'm afraid as I was working alone.
Many thanks again Shade.

• Like 3

I just received a winch mount for my quad, and after measuring the mounting holes, proceeded to buy a Warrior 2000lb winch with synthetic rope.

My question is, due to the quad battery being so small, I want to avoid using it for the winch. What setup have you guys with Winches got and what battery setup do you recommend?

I got stuck in a drain 2 weeks ago and if I had the winch, I would have been able to get out solo in a few minutes as I was surrounded by trees.

Picture is the winch I bought. I don't have any time for steel cables, synthetic all the way from a safety point of view.

Screenshot_20200922-095315_Chrome.jpg

I run dual batteries , on a 300 add the second battery in the truck , double your capacity quick and easy >>>>  or add a battery box to the rack and a automotive or lawn mower battery  ----    but hey , check with your boy @Wilson first ,  I am sure he can tell you something he heard someone else " say " ,   -- LOL 

fullsizeoutput_c83.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I run dual batteries , on a 300 add the second battery in the truck , double your capacity quick and easy >>>>  or add a battery box to the rack and a automotive or lawn mower battery  ----    but hey , check with your boy @Wilson first ,  I am sure he can tell you something he heard someone else " say " ,   -- LOL 

fullsizeoutput_c83.jpeg

@Fishfiles I have a wooden box on the front of the bike, I was thinking of getting a 40/50ah battery to power the winch, would it be an idea to charge one battery off the other, e.g. charge the big battery off the quad battery, but when the big battery discharges, it doesn't take from the quad battery too? I know you can get a wiring system for this as I've seen them in jeeps with Winches and dual batteries before.

1 hour ago, Turbo Twister said:

@Fishfiles I have a wooden box on the front of the bike, I was thinking of getting a 40/50ah battery to power the winch, would it be an idea to charge one battery off the other, e.g. charge the big battery off the quad battery, but when the big battery discharges, it doesn't take from the quad battery too? I know you can get a wiring system for this as I've seen them in jeeps with Winches and dual batteries before.

You can do that with an battery  isolator , I have used them on my boats , it will let voltage thru from the engine to the both batteries , then you can put the winch wires on one battery and it will only draw from that 2nd battery and not the bikes battery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

You can do that with an battery  isolator , I have used them on my boats , it will let voltage thru from the engine to the both batteries , then you can put the winch wires on one battery and it will only draw from that 2nd battery and not the bikes battery

That is what I had in mind alright. Thanks!

You know I tax my batteries pretty hard , music , fans , lights and with two batteries  I have never ran them down ------  when running  one battery on a night ride with lots of stops for refreshments and playing music while not running  I was having problems ----I don't think you would even need an battery isolator , just another electrical gizmo to go out 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 12:33 AM, Fishfiles said:

You know I tax my batteries pretty hard , music , fans , lights and with two batteries  I have never ran them down ------  when running  one battery on a night ride with lots of stops for refreshments and playing music while not running  I was having problems ----I don't think you would even need an battery isolator , just another electrical gizmo to go out 

You must love your music😁 I do too but I usually dont play music (even through headphones) when I'm mowing, as I need to listen engine die back or other issues I wouldn't hear over music. 

We are back in a 3 week county lockdown (CV19) so the bike will sit tight until then at least as I don'thave any use for it in my own county. I have a lot of firewood work coming up next month so I hope to get the winch fixed in place by then.

• Like 2