Turbo Twister

98' Honda TRX300FW

Going to continue my project updates on here guys. There's still some work left to do on the bike to get it to where I want it to be.

I also mentioned on a previous forum that I have since acquired a little trailer in need of repair. I have started to strip it down but due to a work injury I am currently unable to work on anything!

20191119_203057.jpg

20191119_205101.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it’ll be a handy little trailer. Hope you have a speedy recovery, I’d hate not being able to work on projects.

1 hour ago, Mac102004 said:

Looks like it’ll be a handy little trailer. Hope you have a speedy recovery, I’d hate not being able to work on projects.

Mac, I broke 2 vertebrae 2 years ago and was unable to work for 6 months so I know all about it! It's so hard not being able to do the things you love.

My plan with the trailer is to shorten it at the front and back so I can stand it upright in the back of my van. It will also be lightened in weight be replacing the timber with aluminium. 

Cool, could you make the tongue removable so you wouldn’t loose any capacity? And still have room to fit it in the van? 

Would look good with some aluminum diamond plate sides.

• Like 1

When you say tongue, I assume you mean the hitch bar that clamps onto your tow ball? That's actually a neat idea! My biggest problem will be the height of the trailer as I need to position the wheels in such a way as they dont give huge ground clearance but also dont foul the bike when stood upright.

I attach a crap sketch of what my idea is, my imagination on paper isn't as good as my physical work🤣

20191126_184130.jpg

Lets move this thread to the Custom Builds - Restorations forum, ehh?

EDIT: Move completed

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, retro said:

Lets move this thread to the Custom Builds - Restorations forum, ehh?

EDIT: Move completed

Thanks Retro! Didn't know you could do that. This new forum site surprises me every day!

• Like 1

A removable "hitch bar" would be the way to go so it will be short enough to haul but still long enough to maneuver easily when in use. You could make it fold down or a receiver style where it can be removed all together. If room is tight you could make pockets on the flat bed part and have the sides, front and rear sit into place and be removeable. That would give you the option to use it as a flat bed as well for large things.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

A removable "hitch bar" would be the way to go so it will be short enough to haul but still long enough to maneuver easily when in use. You could make it fold down or a receiver style where it can be removed all together. If room is tight you could make pockets on the flat bed part and have the sides, front and rear sit into place and be removeable. That would give you the option to use it as a flat bed as well for large things.

This is why I love this site, you guys throwing out all these great ideas at me! It never even crossed my mind to make a flat pack type trailer. This would definitely help with my storage issue in trailer height when loading up, I could fit the back and sides under the bike as I have approx 8 inches of ground clearance unladen. 

5 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

I could fit the back and sides under the bike as I have approx 8 inches of ground clearance unladen.

You could also attach the side panels to the trailer bed in a fold-down fashion using quick-release hinges. In that manner the sides could be lowered to extend the trailer bed area to make the flat pack both longer and wider.

• Like 1

TooDeep mentioned stake pockets for side boards  , that is how my ATV trailer is made ,  I upgraded the tires a couple of sizes bigger since this pic   ---- like mentioned , make the tongue a slip in , with a pin and clip so you could take it off the rest of the trailer  

fullsizeoutput_6c4.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

When you say tongue, I assume you mean the hitch bar that clamps onto your tow ball? That's actually a neat idea! My biggest problem will be the height of the trailer as I need to position the wheels in such a way as they dont give huge ground clearance but also dont foul the bike when stood upright.

I attach a crap sketch of what my idea is, my imagination on paper isn't as good as my physical work🤣

20191126_184130.jpg

Yep that's what I'm talking about. 

That is quite the sketch. haha.

I'd try to keep it to as few pieces as possible. I mean you don't want to have to unload it and spend a half hour assembling it lol. 

• Haha 1

Mac mean make the A frame or draw bar removable. Remember, to be legal for UK/Ireland it will need to be sleeved at least 6" and cross bolted through the box section. One bolt horizontally, one bolt vertically. From memory it would require a minimum of 50x50x3mm box section sleeved with 40x40x3mm box section and bolt diameter of 12mm/ 1/2 inch. Over engineer it and you won't go far wrong with the law 🙂

3 hours ago, SamUK said:

Mac mean make the A frame or draw bar removable. Remember, to be legal for UK/Ireland it will need to be sleeved at least 6" and cross bolted through the box section. One bolt horizontally, one bolt vertically. From memory it would require a minimum of 50x50x3mm box section sleeved with 40x40x3mm box section and bolt diameter of 12mm/ 1/2 inch. Over engineer it and you won't go far wrong with the law 🙂

Sam, this trailer will never see a main road so it doesn't need to be road legal😁 but it does still need to be beefy so I'll probably go overkill on it like I did thr welding on the quad frame all those month ago lol

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

TooDeep mentioned stake pockets for side boards  , that is how my ATV trailer is made ,  I upgraded the tires a couple of sizes bigger since this pic   ---- like mentioned , make the tongue a slip in , with a pin and clip so you could take it off the rest of the trailer  

fullsizeoutput_6c4.jpeg

Love the trailer fish, that's something like what I'm aiming for, but with aluminium instead of wood, (wood rots too quickly with the Irish climate). Aluminium is also a lot lighter on my back, have to make things easy for myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After some considerable thought, I have decided to start the trailer from scratch, all new metal and aluminium. The problem with the trailer I inherited is the frame is too heavy and overkill for the use I need it for.

I purchased a load of steel and a sheet of checker plate aluminium today with dad so hopefully I'll be in workable health this weekend to get the frame started.

Will post a few drawings (better than my previous sketch) of what I plan to do when I get around to drawing it out.

• Like 3

Looking forward to it, sometimes it’s easier to start from scratch rather than try and adapt something to make it what you want. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

Looking forward to it, sometimes it’s easier to start from scratch rather than try and adapt something to make it what you want. 

I agree, I did something similar about 6 years ago, but I had two old trailers and made a new one out of the two. I find it easier to build from scratch than to chop and change something old. It's also a pain in the !, like trying to put make-up on a pig! 

As I'm out on sick leave currently,  I had plenty of time to mess around with different designs for the new trailer frame. I want it to be as light as possible but also strong and able to take some battering. I will only be carrying firewood or saws and cutting equipment or grain in it.

The attached photo is quite detailed and all walls of steel section are 3mm thick, I find it hard to weld anything thinner than 3mm with my welder but 5mm is too heavy and expensive.

Dad suggested an idea he has on his boat trailer already, so I am going to have a telescopic trailer hitch where I simply pull a spring loaded bolt and slide the draw bar (40mm x 40mm) into the 50mm x 50mm box section that will be welded to the underside of the trailer frame.

I will then be making up 4 rectangles for the sides, front and rear, using 20mm x 20mm box steel. They will sit down into pockets and be bolted to each other at the top where each panel meets end to end (I haven't drawn this yet but have it in my head). I will then clad the inside of each frame with checker plate aluminium. 

For the main body I am using 40mm box section with 20mm box section stiffeners to stop any twisting.

I will be re using the old hubs (with new bearings) and wheels off the old trailer as I like that they are quite small (approx 14 inches in diameter), so will make the trailer compact in height and easy to get into the van. I will also reuse the hitch from the old trailer.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions please. I want to have it as simple to make and easy to assemble as I can.

Colours in photo are just to highlight everything.

20191128_221507.jpg

• Like 4

Hi: When I build my small trailers to haul behind my bike -- I just use angle iron as you see in your picture in red to bounce off trees -- so the tire doesn't get caught on the tree.

20191128_221507.thumb.jpg.62d5f2fa192e7186fc6efdc4eb30eba9.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Melatv said:

Hi: When I build my small trailers to haul behind my bike -- I just use angle iron as you see in your picture in red to bounce off trees -- so the tire doesn't get caught on the tree.

20191128_221507.thumb.jpg.62d5f2fa192e7186fc6efdc4eb30eba9.jpg

That's a great idea Melatv, I'll certainly add that into the build. I could combine it into a mudguard bracket if I decide to put mud guards on.

Wahoo!! The rear brake and diff guards came in the post this morning. The brake guard is in good condition, just needs a lick of paint but the diff guard will need some paint and new rubbers. (I might have these mixed up?)

I'll be starting the trailer frame this morning so stay tuned!

20191129_101426.jpg

20191129_101438.jpg

• Like 1

I have, in the space of 3 hours, cut the basic frame for the trailer, welded it all together and am enjoying some of my mothers yummy toasted sandwiches before I crack on.

I think its clear my welds have improved since I began the bike restoration. I also have 2 handy 90° angle clamps to square up all the steel before tacking, it has made a big difference and everything is nice and square (and flat!).

The new frame is super light and with just the hubs and wheels also being permanently fixed, it should make it very easy to move around. Once I have the hub plates welded and drilled out I will begin the sides.

20191129_114043.jpg

20191129_114435.jpg

20191129_115738.jpg

20191129_123210.jpg

20191129_130424.jpg

• Like 5

Hi -- This trailer I use when going in the woods for 3 or more days -- everything is out of the weather

Mel ATV Trailer.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1