Turbo Twister

98' Honda TRX300FW

36 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi -- This trailer I use when going in the woods for 3 or more days -- everything is out of the weather

Mel ATV Trailer.JPG

Very nice e Melatv, I'll have the axle 1/3 of the ways in from the back of the frame, I find f it much easier to reverse a trailer with them further back rather than centred. But I will do a detail like yours for in front of the wheels 

• Like 2

Wilson thought me to look deep into the pics and see what is going on , I see a hatchet laying on the ground in the midst of the project , using it as a hammer ? LOL  

It looks bigger than I thought , carry on !!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Wilson thought me to look deep into the pics and see what is going on , I see a hatchet laying on the ground in the midst of the project , using it as a hammer ? LOL  

It looks bigger than I thought , carry on !!! 

That was sitting idle on the ground for a few months, and yes, the back if it was used as a persuader at times haha! I know I was on about making the bed 3ft by 3ft but since dad's idea about the telescopic hitch, I can afford to leave it 4ft x 3ft. Its actually just shy of 4ft wide when you add the wheels aswell.

And it fits very snuggly in my van which is even better.20191129_154209.thumb.jpg.91e40514bbca8043052d55b8ec7c89de.jpg

Hubs being fit, I made a spacer with 2x 20mm box tubes welded side by side, then welded a 6mm thick plate 100mm x 200mm onto them, the welded the lot onto the frame so I have room to get a nut on each bolt, it worked out better than expected. 

20191129_154730.jpg

20191129_155419.jpg

• Like 3

Telescopic hitch complete!

I drilled 4 holes through the smaller box steel so I can tow the trailer at varying drawbar lengths depending on the terrain.

The spring loaded bolt works great too, its quite tight which is the finish I wanted, reduced rattle etc..

Enough done for one day, we are off hunting tomorrow! Happy weekend everyone.

20191129_172545.jpg

20191129_183723.jpg

20191129_184919.jpg

20191129_185006.jpg

• Like 3

So it was fairly chilly this evening! The frost is settling in hard these days so a good time to keep warm with the welder.

I first cut out the sheeting for the floor and gave the trailer frame a coat of etch primer to stop any welds rusting over. Then I got stuck into the 4x frames for the sides, front and rear.

I decided initially to cut everything square and use plastic caps on the open ends to stop dirt getting stuck, but then quickly decided to do 45 degree mitred joints instead with a full bead of weld, a much better job and no plastic required.

It took me about 2.5 hours to mark out and cut everything with an angle grinder, I don't have a metal chopsaw due to lack of use for one so I think I did well to get the cuts reasonable tight fitting.

I won't be able to do any more until next week as I'm away down the country with the bike and chainsaws for some weekend firewood cutting with friends and family (long overdue!).

Enjoy the pics..

20191202_194928.jpg

20191202_200904.jpg

20191202_201245.jpg

20191202_203312.jpg

20191202_212146.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good ..... I bought a miter saw from the flea market  that was for wood , it had been fitted with an abrasive cut off wheel for cutting steel , it works pretty good for cutting small stock like that tubing  ------ you'll have flea markets and garage sales over there 

• Like 1

Looks good. How do you like the 60v grinder? I got one for christmas last year and I love the thing. If they weren't so expensive I think I'd toss the rest of my corded grinders and buy more of the 60v ones lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

Looks good. How do you like the 60v grinder? I got one for christmas last year and I love the thing. If they weren't so expensive I think I'd toss the rest of my corded grinders and buy more of the 60v ones lol

Turbo is at work so i will reply. He took a decision to change over all of his tools to battery operation about 2 years ago and went mainly with De Walt. When he unloads his van at the weekend it is almost impossible to get into the garage.  His battery tools include, chop saw, drill, torque screwdriver, circular saw with track, horizontal cutting multi tool, angle grinder, collated screwdriver ( had to look up the name, it is a the screwdriver version of a self loading gun), nail gun, jig saw and sds drill. He also has battery powered led lights and a radio which both run off drill batteries.

He will never go back to cable operated tools as he can now work on sites with no electricity and does not have to carry a big transformer for sites with electricity. 

Strangely, although mains electricity over here is 240 volt, building site tools have to be 110 volt and  big heavy yellow transformers are required for the operation of these tools. I am sure he does not miss dragging them around.

The battery angle grinder is particularly useful when fitted with 1mm cutting discs and has been borrowed on a number of occasions by our local tidy towns organisation to remove orphan chains and bicycle locks from lampposts.

However, when I wore out my old 3" angle grinder during the TRX300 refurb, he got me a mains operated one as he reckoned that a battery operated one might not be strong enough in the brake area for the abuse I would give it as I tended to run it for long periods at a time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

Mac, its the best grinder I've ever had! I bought my first 60v dewalt grinder 3 years ago and it had to be replaced under warranty after 5 months due to a faulty switch. I have used and abused this current one and cannot fault it one bit, the only thing it doesn't like is aluminium, itll kill the battery in no time (I probably should look for better cutting discs for it). Overall, I couldn't live without it, as dad says, cable days are long gone!

On a side note, a lot of safety officers in Ireland and going to be banning 110v tools on building sites in years to come as the cordless gear is far more advanced in safety features!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Looking good ..... I bought a miter saw from the flea market  that was for wood , it had been fitted with an abrasive cut off wheel for cutting steel , it works pretty good for cutting small stock like that tubing  ------ you'll have flea markets and garage sales over there 

I have a chop saw from dewalt but the rotary speed is terrible, I will probably swap it for a makita one in a few months as their cutting tools seem to spin a lot faster. I can then fit a steel cutting blade to the chopsaw and use it for wood and steel.

Edited by Turbo Twister

I always liked the Makita stuff, actually most of what I have is makita. The grinder is the only dewalt tool I own. I did pick up a little 12v Milwaukee 3/8 ratchet recently and man is that thing ever handy. 

I too prefer battery op tools for most things. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac102004 said:

I always liked the Makita stuff, actually most of what I have is makita. The grinder is the only dewalt tool I own. I did pick up a little 12v Milwaukee 3/8 ratchet recently and man is that thing ever handy. 

I too prefer battery op tools for most things. 

Mac, have you seen the new 144v Milwakee battery? It's for use with a cordless cut off saw or big concrete breaker.. it's only $1200 per battery!😂

I have a lot more cordless gear than dad mentioned, along with approx 20 batteries, half makita, half dewalt. There is a huge selection of gear to choose from, as you say, some of it is still quite expensive but that will change in the future.

I have a big set of Craftsman 19.2 tools , they were ok in their time , but buy todays standards they are not so good , even with the Lithium batteries the charge  don't last long , I wouldn't ditch the tools and still have them on the shelf , the side grinder from Craftsman last no more then 15 minutes on a full charged Lithium battery  ---- went to Ryobi , one thing I like about the Ryobi is all tools and batteries ever made by Ryobi are interchangeable , the grinder from them with the 6AH battery will last 45 minutes or longer ----Dewalt is nice but expensive , guess you get what you pay for  

That big Milwaukee is pretty impressive, I bet performance wise it will do good but I don’t think I’ll be a hot seller at 1200 a battery lol. I seen a guy using a little electric chainsaw one day, used too 18V batteries, the thing was actually pretty impressive for what it was. 

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I have a big set of Craftsman 19.2 tools , they were ok in their time , but buy todays standards they are not so good , even with the Lithium batteries the charge  don't last long , I wouldn't ditch the tools and still have them on the shelf , the side grinder from Craftsman last no more then 15 minutes on a full charged Lithium battery  ---- went to Ryobi , one thing I like about the Ryobi is all tools and batteries ever made by Ryobi are interchangeable , the grinder from them with the 6AH battery will last 45 minutes or longer ----Dewalt is nice but expensive , guess you get what you pay for  

I agree you get what you pay for. I burnt out 2x makita battery grinders in less than 1.5 years and when I swapped out to dewalt, the difference in power was unreal! Any cutting tools, I find Dewalt better, but impact guns and drills, I prefer Makits, so I've the best of both worlds. I get about 35 mins of actual grinder cutting from a 9.0ah flexvolt battery which I think is pretty impressive for a 5inch grinder! And to top it off, the same battery will last me about 3 days with a chopsaw going flat out!

The 54v (60v in your country) batteries are very expensive in Ireland but a good deal cheaper in England if you buy them in bulk!

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

That big Milwaukee is pretty impressive, I bet performance wise it will do good but I don’t think I’ll be a hot seller at 1200 a battery lol. I seen a guy using a little electric chainsaw one day, used too 18V batteries, the thing was actually pretty impressive for what it was. 

Milwakee claims it will out cut a petrol cut off saw of similar (kw) power. For a tool that size I would stick to mains electric or petrol, you'd go through a lot of batteries in no time.

I have to say the Makita top handled 36v (dual 18v) chainsaw has impressive power, I have 2 petrol stihl saws, an ms201T and an ms 661c, both fantastic cutters in their class. Again, I'd go through a lot of batteries in a day if I was using a battery chainsaw lol.

Some progress from dad today.

IMG-20191203-WA0009.jpg

• Like 3

I have a 1000lbs trailer for my diesel Mule.

it has a 2 inch receiver hitch at the front of the bed—it accepts a removable towbar. 
since the towbar is too short to allow me to turn the Mule with only the towbar attached, i bought a towbar extension.

hopefully this will help you decide 

B1D7EF1E-60CE-400A-A7C9-4E5823AE3525.jpeg

73F452DC-3D20-4396-A0D1-AD0A8431FA43.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks @Goober, we have already made up the telescopic hitch which seems to work quite well (although I haven't actually tested it yet as the starter motor is disassembled currently).

I did start on making up a way of quickly attaching/detaching the sides quickly but the weather has been awful here so I didn't get any photos.

Hopefully I can do some more work on it over the Christmas break as work is rather hectic in the final 2 weeks before break.

• Like 1

Hey everyone! The new parts for the starter motor came today, so dad has kindly replaced the old ones. He plans to fit the starter motor tomorrow along with a seal.

I haven't look at the trailer since my last post as we are very busy in worl with the run up to Christmas. I hope to get stuck in a few days before xmas next week and get it completed!

I did fit 4x reflectors to the front and rear racks so it's at least looking a bit better.

• Like 2

I cant remember the last place I posted about the planks of timber I said I would post photos of so here they are!

This one is a spalted beech table top I made recently for a friend, with an ash frame, coloured epoxy with a clean coat epoxy resin finish.20191228_191944.jpg

The below planks are spalted ash, I will probably make live edge tables with them when they dry out in a year or two.. Happy New Year everyone!20191219_204103.jpg

20191219_204127.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice! Happy new year Turbo and Bluezulu!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1