Turbo Twister

98' Honda TRX300FW

I like the piece in front of the wheel, it will act to protect the wheel from getting hooked on a tree or such and it could be a brace for a fender if you wanted 

• Like 1

Hi all, just an update for you on the bike.. I haven't heard anything back yet from the guy who has it torn apart, I will probably call him on Monday afternoon to rattle his brain on it again😁 I assume that he has ordered a new loom for the bike and it's just a matter of time until it gets delivered.. anywho, keep ya'll posted!

• Like 3

..... toggle switch  ..... over and done with...  after it is fixed by the mechanic that is working on it , do you really have faith that is fixed right , really , fore sire , no doubt , I doubt it 

Fish, he is also fixing the oil leaks on the engine top. The deal was he would fix the bike in between other projects they have when he has 30 mins here or 15 mins there etc.. so I don't get burned pockets from their hourly rate! I will be calling in the morning to see what's going on as I'm getting a little impatient that they've had the bike nearly a month. I have so much work to catch up on but cant do without the bike.

• Like 1

So, to update you all.. I rang the shop and they are waiting on a few parts to come in, hoping to get them tomorrow or the next day. Then they will repair the engine and fit the new loom (if that is the issue). I also asked them to fit a new plug for a sprayer or light etc if I ever need one down the line.. hope to have it back 2 weekends time.

As for the trailer, I'm waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer as it's too cold to paint here at the moment! Then I can fit the aluminium sides and put it to use!

• Like 4

Update today from Ed! He has ordered a new loom, which is due within 2 weeks from the USA..so I SHOULD have my bike back by the end of the month.. HOPEFULLY!

• Like 3

My cousin was back in with his trx500 this morning, it's not engaging 4wd so it's being repaired under warranty.. mine is still in some form or shape of a bike!

Screenshot_20200206-100633_Snapchat.jpg

The wonderful relay battle on the 500. Easy fix if the relay stays bad, when its intermediate they can be a pain to verify enough for warranty. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

The wonderful relay battle on the 500. Easy fix if the relay stays bad, when its intermediate they can be a pain to verify enough for warranty. 

I've seen a lot of people complaining about that on the newer bikes. 

• Like 1

My cousins 500 was fixed on the spot and back working the same evening. Wish I could say the same for my 300!🤔

I finally got back to doing some more work on the trailer this evening, but only because I cleared out a load of timber yesterday to make some room!

I purchased an air compressed plasma cutter from my local Lidl after work today, and although I've never used one before, I'm impressed. I was going through 2x 5inch grinder blades per 4ft cut of 2.5mm thick aluminium checker plate, this thing ripped through the same distance in about 30 seconds, it's far quieter and makes very little mess.

For €110 it was a no brainer, and it has a 3 year warranty too. I only had the energy to cut 2 side panels for the trailer but must say I'm a happy camper with the results ( I need to experiment on a few offcuts to get the settings dialed in, but like all men and new toys, you always have to have a go ASAP!)😂

20200218_201630.jpg

IMG-20200218-WA0009.jpeg

• Like 2

Am I right thinking the UK is all 220volts ? ----We have 120v and 240v here in the same house 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Am I right thinking the UK is all 220volts ? ----We have 120v and 240v here in the same house 

Correct Fish, although we use 110v on building sites for safety reasons. 220-240v for everything household. It's strange that this particular machine came with a round 3 pin blue 220v plug, so I had to buy 2 additional parts, a socket to receive this plug and a standard 3 pin plug to plug into our normal wall socket. A bit of a pain but I have the know how. Picture for reference only..

Screenshot_20200218-172840_Google.jpg

• Like 2

So, I finally got an update on my bike 6 weeks after I left it in..

Ed sourced a new loom and fit it in place, yet the fan still wouldn't work. So then an electrically minded friend of his gave him 2 ultimatums to fix the issue (I wasn't told in detail about either), but the solution seems to be that a relay has been added to the new loom specifically for the fan, so when the thermostat gets to a certain temperature, the fan will automatically kick in.

It was no harm to replace the loom as some of the connectors were damaged and there were odd ends from someone messing with it in the past.

So, I'm aiming to collect the bike saturday coming, although I'll probably have to refit the front end plastics and bumper myself as they don't seem to have time to do it themselves🤔

I thought that a bike shop would treat all customers fairly but it seems that my old Betsy was shoved in a corner while the newer bikes got all the attention. In this case, I would give a 3 star rating, losing 1 for this. 

They have also said they don't have time to rip the head off the engine to fix my oil leak, so they lose a star for that too!

Pic of how it was yesterday.. I cant wait to get it back, so many jobs to do with it.

IMG-20200219-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

Turbo , sorry to hear you went thru that fiasco ---  I " heard " people say that a toggle switch will get you going quick and easy  , hey wait , I said that ..... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I've enjoyed watching the build come along, the progress of the work, and the learning along the way. Its really too bad things slow down and stall when you hand it over to 'shops'. It probably has something to do with the age of the machine. A shop will be ready and willing to work on new ones, not as much wrong, easier to work on, not a rabbit hole of problem after problem. I really feel for you. Time to 're-take' matters into your own hands I'd say. This kind of stuff has happened to me before, and is happening to me now. Problem is, sometimes, we really have no choice but to wait and twiddle our thumbs. Still waiting on some machine/jug work. 

• Thanks 1

The bike is finally back in my hands! The fan is working fine, coming on quite a bit yesterday but I had 2 passengers and we were in 1st gear most of the time so that's understandable.. it does its job at least!

I brought two friends up through another friends forest to show them the nice view at the top but unfortunately the clouds came over and it started raining.

We had great fun coming back down again, but the added passenger weight gave great traction.

A few snaps from our trip..

20200223_163939.jpg

IMG-20200223-WA0028.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, TRX Student said:

Well, I've enjoyed watching the build come along, the progress of the work, and the learning along the way. Its really too bad things slow down and stall when you hand it over to 'shops'. It probably has something to do with the age of the machine. A shop will be ready and willing to work on new ones, not as much wrong, easier to work on, not a rabbit hole of problem after problem. I really feel for you. Time to 're-take' matters into your own hands I'd say. This kind of stuff has happened to me before, and is happening to me now. Problem is, sometimes, we really have no choice but to wait and twiddle our thumbs. Still waiting on some machine/jug work. 

I agree, I hate leaving jobs to other people when I can fix them myself but unfortunately in this case, we didn't have the know how.

Now that I have the bike back, it's not going go another dealer unless urgently needed!

Glad you enjoyed our rebuild, (half of which is on the old website). It was an interesting project but more importantly one I can use in my work line aswell.

• Like 1

It has been very cold the past few days so the bike has relatively been untouched and covered in power tools!

Dad is staying inside, away from the cold as he doesn't want to get the flu (Corona virus is currently sweeping through Europe) so that's understandable.

I took off the fuel tank yesterday to replace 3 rubbers that keep it in place, the front two rubbers are round and stop upward movement I would assume, these were loose and kept falling off anytime I removed the tank for maintenance. I also replaced the big rubber that the bolt under the seat fixes to the frame.

The final job for the night was replacing the gasket on the starter motor side cover, the old one was cracked in 2 spots so no harm to change this.

The front inner fenders were not refixed in place after the rebuild in the workshop last week so I will have to rebolt all these. The mechanic highly recommended changing out any gutter bolts for standard 6 sided bolt heads and he says gutter bolts are a nightmare to loosen when they are old (and he is right!).

I will have to set the front tracking when the weather picks up as the bike was very inclined to pull to the right last Sunday. How does everyone track their wheels? I was shown 3 ways to do it, just want to know if there's other ways..

20200225_181338.jpg

20200225_181530.jpg

20200225_182808.jpg

20200225_182829.jpg

20200225_182953.jpg

• Like 3

I sparked an idea a few weeks ago to make up timber boxes that suit the quad racks, rather than trying to make do with plastic boxes that don't fit great.

I have a few offcuts of laminated board red deal and birch plywood so I started ripping down the material last night. It will be directly bolted to the racks through the plywood.

They're being custom made to fit my chainsaw gear, maintenance gear and fuel for the bike and saws.

Should have the front one finished this evening. 

If you can't find it, make it!

20200226_203925.jpg

20200226_211647.jpg

20200226_211641.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Thank you for the pic!! Another hondaline part to add!! Combination hour meter and speedo drive set ?? 

Wilson, Dad sourced a new digital hour meter that he just installed yesterday. There was just over 3280 hours on the old clock, this one starts from 0.1 hours. The old hour clock never worked when I got the bike so its reassuring to know I can keep an eye on the hours for service intervals now.

The speedo works fine.

I took off the rear left wheel last night as I felt the hub has a bit too loose for my likening. Upon inspection, I noticed the 4x threaded studs had loosened, which bolts the rear final drive to the driveshaft!😵 bit of an "oh ! moment when I saw it! We never put thread lock on the driveshaft side of the threaded studs, probably assuming they were already done. I took them out one by one and put plenty of thread lock on each.. wouldn't be nice to loose the rear axle someday in the middle of the woods!

20200226_181005.jpg

20200226_175726.jpg

• Like 2

your gonna hate putting red Loctite on those bolts down the road !..lol.

• Haha 1

I finished the front box and bolted it securely to the front rack (with a folded rubber mat in between to reduce scratching). It got a coat of varnish to throw any rain drops off, I'll give it a second coat next week as I need the bike to haul firewood this weekend (yippee!!)

The steel Jerry can fits perfectly and tightly into the box, aswell as my combi can for the chainsaws. I'll mess around with the few other bits to see how best to secure them in the box but I'm a happy bunny to finally have a box that suits my needs and sits within the width of the bike ( I made the box a specific height due to the shelf in my van).

15828393867386314456651624973036.jpg

20200227_185325.jpg

20200227_185137.jpg

• Like 4