Turbo Twister

98' Honda TRX300FW

Oh don't think I haven't tried to figure a way to rig something up.

The problem is, the muffler is right between the front bumper and the engine, and it's a round can style muffler with a side inlet.  No room to put any other style in there.

37 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Oh don't think I haven't tried to figure a way to rig something up.

The problem is, the muffler is right between the front bumper and the engine, and it's a round can style muffler with a side inlet.  No room to put any other style in there.

If the exhaust port is threaded then use pipes.......if not tap it with 3/4 pipe thread.......should be easy enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misterclean said:

If the exhaust port is threaded then use pipes.......if not tap it with 3/4 pipe thread.......should be easy enough

The problem is more where the exhaust port is, and the weird curved pipe that goes where the muffler mounts.  I could rig something up externally like this, but with the kids mowing I have a feeling it wouldn't last long.

The mower usually uses a curved header pipe that goes to a muffler that is tucked under the front bumper, blowing forward.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/75347/level/2/snp/OTIzNzc5OkNIQVBURVJbMTA2MTojQlVTSU5FU1NfUkVHSU9OLDI3MTQ6I0NBVEFMT0csNzUzNDc6RVFVSVBNRU5UXQ

Here's what it looks like

108muff.jpg

• Like 1

This is the freebee I got today , the carb is off , the battery dead , said it ran 2 years ago , tank is clean , my buddy said he cut an acre of grass for 5 years with this mower , kept inside it's life till two years ago --- If it picks up leaves it will be a great help to me 

shzqRSXVQGOxeDryLpmvEg.jpg

N7l+mw9bT7+D7PsMGP1BLQ.jpg

• Like 3

Nice.  That bagger is probably worth more than the mower!  LOL

Guys who collect lawn tractors go nuts over the accessories.

My Deere that I picked up is identical to the one my grandparents bought new in 1985, which I still use mowing every year.  Oddball tractor that Deere only sold for ONE YEAR.  That said, I have a bagger, a spray rig, and a spreader for it, and it's lasted 35 years so I figured if I could pick up another one cheap for parts I would.  The "parts" tractor I went to buy ended up being in better shape than my old one, so I'll put a kid on each of them and knock the mowing out a little faster.

112l.jpg

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

The problem is more where the exhaust port is, and the weird curved pipe that goes where the muffler mounts.  I could rig something up externally like this, but with the kids mowing I have a feeling it wouldn't last long.

The mower usually uses a curved header pipe that goes to a muffler that is tucked under the front bumper, blowing forward.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/75347/level/2/snp/OTIzNzc5OkNIQVBURVJbMTA2MTojQlVTSU5FU1NfUkVHSU9OLDI3MTQ6I0NBVEFMT0csNzUzNDc6RVFVSVBNRU5UXQ

Here's what it looks like

108muff.jpg

There are options. Generic pipe thread mufflers are available in many varieties. you could direct the muffler in several other directions. Do a search on different mufflers and see which ones would work best. I'm fairly sure there is something else possible.

Turbo , I don't know how you feel about it , as far as I am concerned , action on any one of my threads is good with me , you mentioned something before about retitling  ,  do you want to split your thread in half , lawn mower project and your build thread 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Turbo , I don't know how you feel about it , as far as I am concerned , action on any one of my threads is good with me , you mentioned something before about retitling  ,  do you want to split your thread in half , lawn mower project and your build thread 

I haven't had a chance to get at it since the last day, I've been rebuilding a wall in the back garden the last 2 days now that I'm out of work.

I ordered a load of stuff last week that has cost me about 250euro total, as @jeepwm69 says it's not cheap to buy parts for them. 

@Fishfiles I'm ok with this thread the way it is thanks, this thread should be covering the bike and trailer only though😂 I made another thread specifically for the mower, I'll have more updates on that tomorrow!

20200410_171535.jpg

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 2

This is another of Turbos projects. Our house was built in 1953. The main structure is built of 4" concrete blocks on their flats which were probably cast on site. Some time in the 1960s the standard for 4" solid blocks here changed to a smaller width and height. So for anyone repairing an old wall there is a problem as the older blocks were both longer and higher. Our boundary wall was damaged by a combination of wind, time  and inadequate supporting pillars and as a result it cracked from top to bottom and could be moved by hand. Turbo has had no work since Wednesday so he decided to repair the wall. Fortunately he was able to obtain sand, cement and blocks through his work. All of our hardware stores are closed at the moment so he was lucky to be able to get the materials.

He solved the problem of matching old and new by inserting a vertical  expansion gap in the wall with supporting pillars on either side of the gap. His mother and me are very lucky to have such a multi talented son.

With some luck we will have the gaskets for the tappet adjusters next week and we will then fix the oil leaks in the top of the engine.

In the meantime I am taking advantage of Turbo's presence to repoint our patio which I constructed 30 years ago.

As an over 70 individual under mandatory cocooning (lockdown) it is now four weeks and one day since I left our house and gardens. Really looking forward to going fishing again and I hope it will be this year.

We hope that all of you are safe and at home, as we are.

• Like 4

@Fishfiles today is your lucky day! I finally finished the trailer! I fit the correct suspension units and bolted them all up with stainless steel nuts and bolts, did a quick dry fit for photos and took it all apart again to make room for other work I'm trying to get done!

Also the quad is in the van so I have more space in the garage (its only 10ft x 18ft but we have lots of presses and a bench which takes up about half the floor space. 

Can't wait to get using it but I need to concentrate on getting jobs done around the house while I'm stuck at home..

20200413_145406.jpg

20200413_145417.jpg

20200413_145802.jpg

20200413_145809.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

looking sharp.... i know how you are about detail... have you thought about adding fenders ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yep, but they need to be detachable so the trailer can fit in the van with the bike, so I'll have to make up something in that line. Alternatively I could just make up aluminium ones with a slim frame over the wheels. I haven't given it much thought yet.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 3:06 AM, Turbo Twister said:

Yep, but they need to be detachable so the trailer can fit in the van with the bike, so I'll have to make up something in that line. Alternatively I could just make up aluminium ones with a slim frame over the wheels. I haven't given it much thought yet.

Turbo , when I first build my trailer I had some fender , I went with a bigger tire and had to took the fender off , was going to make some new ones , but do you really need fenders , I am not going to put them back on , just something to hit a tree and get bent up 

fullsizeoutput_3b0.jpeg

SjvODjwKSZaPXbrrY7ae3A.jpg

• Like 1

I think what would be better than any trailer fenders would be longer mudflaps on the rear quad wheels, they do throw up some amount of muck when you're moving!

The issue I would have with mud guards on the trailer is them just plugging up with muck the whole time, I won't be able to wash the trailer before bringing it home most of the time, so yeah, probably better off without them as you say.

I haven't been anywhere near the bike or mower deck for the past several weeks, but a new neighbour of mine wanted help removing some old bush stumps. I had intended to use the van but couldn't get the turning space so we suggested the quad. It worked a treat and pulled all but 2 stumps out with ease!

Great to have it back outside again, it needs a wash now though!

20200617_194258.jpg

• Like 2

Good to see you back around and using that wheeler. 
I’d be running me metal detector over that ground.  Might find a shilling or crown from Robin Hood buried 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I’d be running me metal detector over that ground.  Might find a shilling or crown from Robin Hood buried 

Don't have a metal detector pal, the garden was a mess after yesterday, very heavy rain, but it made getting the roots out so much easier. The whole garden will be dug up in a few months time, the client just wanted a clean canvas to work from.

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah ^^^ now get back to work on that mower .... lol! and tell @Bluezulu49 he needs to stop in 😉

Funny you say that😂 I had to move the mower to get the bike out of the garage, but it won't be touched this weekend. Work is easing off a little though thank God!! I have a target, to get it done before the end of July as I intend to go on holiday for a week or 2 in August so it would be great if it was ready by then. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

! he might find a Roman Denarius, depending on where in the UK he is.....

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

! he might find a Roman Denarius, depending on where in the UK he is.....

I live in Ireland😂nothing to do with the UK!!

• Haha 1