Turbo Twister

98' Honda TRX300FW

2 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

You must love your music😁 I do too but I usually dont play music (even through headphones) when I'm mowing, as I need to listen engine die back or other issues I wouldn't hear over music. 

I don't lesten to music while mowing either , don't give me any ideas , LOL 

• Haha 1

Did you see that tow behind mower I posted a pic of recently , last page of this thread 

• Like 1

And so begins the winch setup.. unfortunately it was harder than expected to get the front left (as you look at it) bolt in, as the frame has been knocked about in its past life so I had to improvise with a flat screwdriver and a clamp to get all 3 metal components to line up.

The frame is now bolted in place, next up is aligning the winch itself in place.

Would I be right in saying the aluminium hawse is best off as far forward as possible on the bike? The frame that came with it keeps the hawse back about 6 inches from the front of the bike frame and I dont like the idea of rope rubbing on the frame when pulling.

20200930_201354.jpg

20200930_201322.jpg

• Like 2

your first mistake is installing a hawse fairlead..second mistake...is its not a warn winch !..lol.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shadetree said:

your first mistake is installing a hawse fairlead..second mistake...is its not a warn winch !..lol.

It's not a Warn winch no, it's a Ninja Warrior Japanese made winch with synthetic rope. Warn Winches aren't easy to get this small in Ireland and I had a 6 ton Warrior winch on my old jeep which never gave me trouble so I went for a known brand again. I have no time for steel cables, after seeing one snap on a tractor winch years ago I avoid them like the plague!

Second pic on is my old work horse, a grand vitara XL7 2.0L turbo diesel, a small engine by you guys standard, but big for here in Ireland.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I drilled holes in my front bumper and mounted the fairlead there.

That was my thought, I think the fairlead is wide enough to do this, although I may have to weld a bit of plate on either side on the bumper, not a big job either way. 

IMG-20200925-WA0001.jpg

IMG_20181104_141634741_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170420_183232778.jpg

IMG_20180616_104823432.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took the mounting plate off the bike again because the winch has to be bolted as far back on the plate as possible, otherwise it fouls the back of the light housings. 

I will also be moving the solenoid pack into the timber box on the bike rack along with the battery as there is very little room between the winch and front right wheel at full lock.

I will be able to use the second winch plate (it came separately with the winch) as a template to make a decent fixing point for the hawse. 

More to come!

IMG-20201001-WA0028.jpeg

one more time !!...DITCH THE HAWSE FAIRLEAD IF YOUR GONNA RUN ROPE ?..YOU WANT A ROLLER FAIRLEAD !!!!.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, shadetree said:

one more time !!...DITCH THE HAWSE FAIRLEAD IF YOUR GONNA RUN ROPE ?..YOU WANT A ROLLER FAIRLEAD !!!!.

I've been told it's a bad idea to run rope through a roller fairlead? What is the benefit to rollers in your opinion, I'm just curious?

30 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

I've been told it's a bad idea to run rope through a roller fairlead? What is the benefit to rollers in your opinion, I'm just curious?

you were told wrong !!!..i'll break it down for ya..hawse fairlead on rope creates heat as the rope glides over the hawse , where is on rollers with a rope...there is no heat being made !!.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, shadetree said:

you were told wrong !!!..i'll break it down for ya..hawse fairlead on rope creates heat as the rope glides over the hawse , where is on rollers with a rope...there is no heat being made !!.

Ok, point taken on that side of things. I may go searching for a roller so, never had that issue on the jeep mind and it did a lot of work for me.

4 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

It's not a Warn winch no, it's a Ninja Warrior Japanese made winch with synthetic rope. Warn Winches aren't easy to get this small in Ireland and I had a 6 ton Warrior winch on my old jeep which never gave me trouble so I went for a known brand again. I have no time for steel cables, after seeing one snap on a tractor winch years ago I avoid them like the plague!

Second pic on is my old work horse, a grand vitara XL7 2.0L turbo diesel, a small engine by you guys standard, but big for here in Ireland.

That was my thought, I think the fairlead is wide enough to do this, although I may have to weld a bit of plate on either side on the bumper, not a big job either way. 

IMG-20200925-WA0001.jpg

IMG_20181104_141634741_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170420_183232778.jpg

IMG_20180616_104823432.jpg

in one of these pics, you have a hawse fairlead on the front, then the second pic, you have a roller fairlead, not sure what your winch has..rope or cable ?, but refardless...always...ALWAYS RUN ROLLER FAIRLEAD !.

• Like 1

Here’s the drybox mount in my TRX300 — you may have to remove the 450/500 drybox to get the contactor centered. I recommend you use a big grommet for the cable passage or wrap lotsa tape to prevent wire chafing

AA1E885A-5023-4436-B9FC-2FFBBA738F9B.jpeg

7A577DC5-6048-4771-A790-24755E67C13F.jpeg

438D9F66-1016-46F9-85DC-C2586FFE0D69.jpeg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, shadetree said:

in one of these pics, you have a hawse fairlead on the front, then the second pic, you have a roller fairlead, not sure what your winch has..rope or cable ?, but refardless...always...ALWAYS RUN ROLLER FAIRLEAD !.

With syn cable you're supposed to run a NEW Hawse fairlead.  Reason being the rope can get pinched in a corner on the rollers.  Cable won't compress to get pulled into the corner, but rope will.

If you run an old Hawse fairlead that's been used with cable, it will have burrs that will snag the rope and chew it up.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

With syn cable you're supposed to run a NEW Hawse fairlead.  Reason being the rope can get pinched in a corner on the rollers.  Cable won't compress to get pulled into the corner, but rope will.

If you run an old Hawse fairlead that's been used with cable, it will have burrs that will snag the rope and chew it up.

i have never got my rope pinched in the corners of my roller fairlead ?, maybe you weren't holding your mouth right ??..lol. or you had a china roller on there ?..lol.

• Haha 1

This was the exact reason I used a hawse on the jeep, steel cable for rollers, not for synthetic!

I'm up in arms about what I'll do now😂 think I'll stick with what I have for now, I wont be using it a whole lot anyway.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

i have never got my rope pinched in the corners of my roller fairlead ?, maybe you weren't holding your mouth right ??..lol. or you had a china roller on there ?..lol.

I'm just saying, that's the "rule" of thumb.  Soft aluminum hawse (NEW) for rope, steel roller or hawse for steel cable.

Once you use a fairlead for steel, do NOT reuse it for rope.

Thems the winch rules from way back when rope first made its appearance.  I was messing with Jeep winches long before I ever got a Honda ATV.

• Like 2

I used a small KFI ST1700–fits perfectly except the Warn has a recessed engagement knob and the KFI has a lever that touches the fender bottom in disengagement mode.so yeah the Warn would be better for this tight space

can you dress the surfaces of the hawse with a smooth file or sandpaper? Polish with steel wool?

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Goober said:

I used a small KFI ST1700–fits perfectly except the Warn has a recessed engagement knob and the KFI has a lever that touches the fender bottom in disengagement mode.so yeah the Warn would be better for this tight space

can you dress the surfaces of the hawse with a smooth file or sandpaper? Polish with steel wool?

Probably could.  As long as there aren't burrs or roughness to catch on the rope I think it would be ok.

• Like 2

I'm just saying, that's the "rule" of thumb.  Soft aluminum hawse (NEW) for rope, steel roller or hawse for steel cable.

Once you use a fairlead for steel, do NOT reuse it for rope.

Thems the winch rules from way back when rope first made its appearance.  I was messing with Jeep winches long before I ever got a Honda ATV.

and how many hawse fairleads owners do you remember trying to use a plow set up with a rope on them..and kept breaking from the old site ?..its simple math..hawse with a rope going over , back and forth on a hawse fairlead makes the rope heat up, where is a roller fairlead will not. your not suppose to be pulling at steep angles period, even the owners manual on a warn winch says this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

New modification in progress! More to come in a few days.

IMG-20201228-WA0012.jpeg

Plow / dozer blade  ??? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Plow / dozer blade  ??? 

Shallow bucket for gravel and muck, tines for dung and the back plate will be used to scrape a farm yard and possibly snow too. I aim to get the bucket finished tomorrow all going well.

I used a seat belt out of an old van on my winch to plow with and saved my cable for summer use. The wide belt never gets tangled up, worked great for me plowing snow.

• Like 1