bladams85

1986 TRX 350 Fourtrax

13 hours ago, bladams85 said:

So after a few days of riding I am super happy with the build. It pulls like a freight train through anything and has plenty of power still as well as being more stable. Next item up for resto is the 1987 TRX 350D Foreman. Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the 86 350 and the 87 foreman? 

Is it a 350D Foreman? (should be on the sticker up front).  Have a gas gauge in the right side of the front fender?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Is it a 350D Foreman? (should be on the sticker up front).  Have a gas gauge in the right side of the front fender?

Yes It is a 1987 TRX 350D Foreman.

The 87 350D was the oddball.

86-87 350A had one electrical system

87 350D was a one year only electrical system

88-up was a third electrical system

They don't interchange, so if you have an 87 350D, most if not all of the electrical system is going to be specific to that one year/model.

Hard parts should all interchange, but if you're doing any electrical make sure anything you get is specifically off of an 87 350D. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

The 87 350D was the oddball.

86-87 350A had one electrical system

87 350D was a one year only electrical system

88-up was a third electrical system

They don't interchange, so if you have an 87 350D, most if not all of the electrical system is going to be specific to that one year/model.

Hard parts should all interchange, but if you're doing any electrical make sure anything you get is specifically off of an 87 350D. 

Thanks! What about the drive line? I read the Foreman had a higher tow rating of 850 lbs? Is there a different rear end in it than my 1986 350A, or did they just adjust the rating?

Must have just adjusted the rating.   Rear ends are the same all the way through.

@Shadetree told me the front and rear ends are similar but the pinions are different. So yes they might all be geared the same and you swap them out but the assemblies are not identical 

thats my understanding anyway I could be mistaken 

looked at Rocky Mountain the pinion and gear are diff part numbers.

Edited by Goober

Oh just keeping track on this 86 thread did you ever get the front rack you wanted?

1 hour ago, Goober said:

Oh just keeping track on this 86 thread did you ever get the front rack you wanted?

I actually decided not to do that. I like the look without the rack much better. I did paint some trim pieces though! 

IMG_20200509_164129533.jpg

IMG_20200509_164137086.jpg

IMG_20200509_164142770.jpg

IMG_20200509_164150536.jpg

IMG_20200501_105611415_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Goober said:

@Shadetree told me the front and rear ends are similar but the pinions are different. So yes they might all be geared the same and you swap them out but the assemblies are not identical 

thats my understanding anyway I could be mistaken 

looked at Rocky Mountain the pinion and gear are diff part numbers.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/41310-HA0-300?ref=eb891cd5c1cd5b7dbca2bab47dc18edd4676bdf5

Gears are same 86-89 as well as the BR250 and 250A Fourtrax

The PITA pinion bearing on the 250A and BR250 is different than the 350A/350D pinion needle bearing, but they're the same in all the 350's.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/91061-HC4-003?ref=eb891cd5c1cd5b7dbca2bab47dc18edd4676bdf5

That "related fitment" that shows up on Partzilla down at the bottom right corner is great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do any of you guys have suggestions or experience upgrading the suspension on the 1986 TRX 350's with some more modern shocks? Nothing wrong with mine just considering a change. Not looking to lift it just want to make it ride a bit better. Thanks!

1 hour ago, bladams85 said:

Do any of you guys have suggestions or experience upgrading the suspension on the 1986 TRX 350's with some more modern shocks? Nothing wrong with mine just considering a change. Not looking to lift it just want to make it ride a bit better. Thanks!

Too soft for ya huh?

lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Goober said:

Too soft for ya huh?

lol

Oh yea lol no I don't mind the rough ride it's just hard on my girlfriend and son when we are all on it together. 

Some guys are using the 1998-2001 Foreman 450 shocks.  Supposedly give it a better ride and a couple inches of lift. I'm asking the guy who posted this pic if he used front and back or one size for both.  Also asking if he had to grind on them to make em fit.

101055838_10158635117659206_5146346693012226048_n.jpg

• Like 1

I have cut the shock mounts many times to make them fit on 300s and 450’s. Works fine.  The best job is done with a hand held band saw.  You just need to not let it build up to much heat at one time or you’ll mess up the rubber bushing. Saws all works fine also. I have a herd of them 450 shocks.   

Ok. The guy who's picture I included above replied back. He's not using the 350 front shocks in back. Here's whY he wrote"

" I used both. The front 450 shocks I put on the back. And the back 450 shocks I used on the front of my 350. The shock lengths match up better that way. Had to grind on the eyelets of the shocks to make them fit the front of the 350. I also had to swap upper bushings around in the shocks. I was surprised how easy it all went together."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Ok. The guy who's picture I included above replied back. He's not using the 350 front shocks in back. Here's whY he wrote"

" I used both. The front 450 shocks I put on the back. And the back 450 shocks I used on the front of my 350. The shock lengths match up better that way. Had to grind on the eyelets of the shocks to make them fit the front of the 350. I also had to swap upper bushings around in the shocks. I was surprised how easy it all went together."

I read about this years back on the highlifter forum.  If you are doing a lot of trail riding this would probably be a good idea.

I saw someone on bookface who used 05-11 500 shocks.  Wonder how they measure out to a 450 shock?  I have 500 shocks I can measure.  @Fishfiles you mind measuring your 450 shocks?

Jeep , the front OEM shocks on my 2002 450 are 13 1/2 inches  from center to center of mounting holes ( shocks on the bike ) 

• Like 1