Steviejim

Slip on exhaust mods !

Wondering about slip on exhaust mufflers?

I put a D&G performance muffler on my other ATV, 01 Sportsman 500H0 and it seemed to give it just a little bit of extra on the throttle response as far as coming on instantly.

Not to mention the sound was awesome, sounds like a Hemi Jr !! LoL

I am thinking of one for Ruby, as again the sound alone is great!!

my question would be should there be any jetting etc, done to make any compensation for a performance muffler only?

I did pay attention to the color of my spark plug and did not notice any changes in color, but only put about  200 miles on it with new exhaust, so wondering if over time there could be any ill effects from the change of exhaust flow, or whatever difference it does make to system.

Thanks 

Keep in mind there are alot of factors in jetting. Altitude, ambient air temp, and barometric pressure. But my experiance with polaris has been they are jetted rich out of the box. Not sure how they got away with it with emissions regulations so strict. But they did. Now honda is the polar opposite. They are lean right out of the box. So any and i mean any modification should require atleast minor jet size increase. But your altitude could change all of this or any of those other factors for that matter. Look at an engine like an air pump. Anything that changes flow in or out will require more fuel. Its just an air/fuel ratio for optimum burn. Only thing that can change this is if it has been jetted up already or came from the factory rich in expectance you will be adding mods.

Yes Polaris was always rich, 

and Ruby lean. 
Typically run at around the 2000 ft mark in elevation on the mountains we run around on, but we do get up to 3500 ft when running the tops ,

and also down in the valleys it only around 1000 ft .

so we are running between 1 - 3500 ft as a rule, with right in the middle as the norm!

Thanks