Colbybogolin

Best oil to run in 2013 Honda 420 Rancher

Anything made for wet clutch is fine, I ran Honda or mobil1 4t with no troubles, still going strong with over 7k miles on my old 2012 rancher

• Like 3

The Shell Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic. The T6 is JASO MA rated for wet clutch usage. They also have a colder and warmer weight version to fit your climate. I use the 5W40 year round in Interior Alaska. We go from -40F to +80F up here... I use this oil in all three Honda ATVs. My 08 Honda Rancher has been using it the longest.

Amsoil ATV/UTV full synthetic is a great choice in either 0W-40 or 10W-40. Both are designed for our engines and wet clutchs. 

any brand, MADE FOR WET CLUTCHES !. do not use reg car or truck oil !.

• Like 2

Alright poll results  , we got 2 - T6 , 1 - T4 , 1 any certified brand ------  and I am going to eat some popcorn and think about it 

I tell people to use Honda GN4 because everyone before me didn’t know what to use. it’s a fantastic excuse to go to the local Honda shop. My people tell me it’s the best oil, amazing actually—made from only the best chemicals and the most high energy dinosaurs, you know. Everybody loves it, it’s huge today. you’ll love it too. 

• Like 1

I always use AMSOIL -- 0W-40 -- Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Synthetic Motor Oil -- high in price 

• Like 1

Oil is oil.  It's the additives.

The official Honda stuff has some nice additives.  My machine likes it.  It's real happy with it. 

I don't know if it would be unhappy with other stuff.  Got to be rated right, and all.

Amsoil is expensive.  Brand names are expensive.

My dealer has a low price on Honda oil, one thing they do have a low price on.  Loss leader, maybe.  Even cheaper than internet.  Even cheaper than a jug of Mobil1 which is about the cheapest, other than the no name brands.

An excuse to go to town.

dc

2 hours ago, Melatv said:

I always use AMSOIL -- 0W-40 -- Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Synthetic Motor Oil -- high in price 

I second this. Use it in my Honda generator also. All temp and great all weather starting.

• Like 2

You can buy the Shell Rotella T6 for $20 - 22 a gallon. Home Depot or Walmart is the cheapest up here. That is cheaper by the quart than the Honda Oil at the dealer, for a full synthetic... probably 1/2 the price of Mobil or Amsoil synthetic...

GN4 here since it's easy for me to get and cheaper.

• Like 1

What have I learned so for from this thread , hmmm , there are red heads, brunettes and blondies , short , tall and medium and there is more than one way to skin a cat  !!!!  Com'on 'Man , somebody change my mind !!!! LOL 

Most importantly, must be wet clutch approved.

The weight should match driving/climate conditions.

Oil is NOT oil and its not just the Additives. In fact most lubricant companies have access to and most use the same additves and oils. It’s more important how they are used together and how close they cut corners to just meet specifications. Some oils are most definitely better than others but that doesn’t mean the others won’t do the job. Worked in the industry too long to ignore some of these misconceptions.

• Like 1

It has become technically now , how's about them letters , are dem certification letters on the bottle ,  im'port'tent or not !!!  --- Sounds like being political correct to me  ,  it's  LBZQRST cir'cum'sized approved .... 

This is why i stay way clear of oil threads .... 

Shade put it best .... Wet clutch approved .. Simple and to the point .... Lets see now.... How many Hondas has he rebuilt from the ground up ?? 

• Like 1

I know, I really didn’t want to get into this but I couldn’t resist especially when comments are made that just aren’t true. This is it, I’m stepping out. Thanks and you guys are all great! You’ve taught me a lot on the mechanical side! Thank you!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Esterman7 said:

I know, I really didn’t want to get into this but I couldn’t resist especially when comments are made that just aren’t true. This is it, I’m stepping out. Thanks and you guys are all great! You’ve taught me a lot on the mechanical side! Thank you!

Esterman , hang in there , thread are gun free zones , LOL --- I am with you , the first to speak from the heart ...and mind , get you some popcorn , sit back and enjoy , oil threads are always good !!!! 

There are people out there that were good friends and don't talk to one another any more over oil and tire threads , some have gone to the ER even !!! LOL 

• Like 1

A bit off topic  but it does relate ot using the correct oil , Friday I changed a leaking automatic transmission hose on a Mack rolloff truck , the proper transmission fluid purchased at Truck Pro was $225 plus tax for a 5 gallon bucket , of which it took 4 gallons to fill the truck back up after the repair truck would still move so it actually holds more than 5 maybe 6 gallons , so with the taxes , it comes out to about $49.50 a gallon or $12.38 a quart = WOW , but that tranny is extremely expensive to replace or rebuild ,  so the correct oil is important no matter what the cost ,  and that is the moral of the story , don't let price influence a bad decision ---- if you want to run with the big dogs you got to pee with them too , or stay your puppy butt on the porch and quit all the barking , LOL 

• Like 4

So, I ended up seeing the shell-tella stuff. it was almost $60 for a gallon or so. So I opted out for the walmart "supertech" atv oil. It said it was compatible with wet clutches and was only $5 a quart. We'll see how it goes...

You are only using 2-3 quarts.  What difference does it make what it costs.  You know Honda oil is made for them with Honda specs.  Repair labor is $100/hr.  You figure it out.