Turbo Twister

Homemade mowers/brush hogs

Turbo , it sure does look like a shaft , but what would turn that shaft ----that pick came from Honda Hoarders in Facebook , even though that looks like a Yamaha that deck is mounted on --- I thought you would like the hitch part 

• Thanks 1

Quick update on parts..

I found an image of the blades and from that, I found a site selling all genuine parts for this particular brand of mower.

So far I have purchased the following:

8x blades, 4 left swing, 4 right swing, 6 are genuine blades, the other 2 are spurious.

A complete toothed pulley to replace the half missing one on the drive shaft side.

4 new blade screws (the allen key heads are worn/damaged on the 4 I have).

Warning stickers for curious fingers.

A few unusual washers and some spacers.

Hopefully will have the parts late next week or early the week after!

Edited by Turbo Twister
Spelling
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Turbo , it sure does look like a shaft , but what would turn that shaft ----that pick came from Honda Hoarders in Facebook , even though that looks like a Yamaha that deck is mounted on --- I thought you would like the hitch part 

Yeah, I thought that myself, maybe it's just part of a 3 point linkage? Interesting setup all the same.

There (stationary) two point hitch .... Not 3 ... And yes it's pto driven .. Not sure if it's 540, or a 1000 rpm .... 

• Like 2

I found some steel suitable for the draw bar, so I'm in the process of making that up, along with the swinging points that the mower end will bolt to. It will be free to swing up/downwards without the top link, but the top link should stop any free movement when attached to the hitch and mower, thus eliminating any friction between the mower deck and ground.

I've designed the hitch bolting point in such a way that I can fold the hitch up vertical for when it's in storage or back of the van, although I doubt it and the bike will fit in together.

I spent the last 2 hours making up 3 brackets for the 3 different cutting positions when towing, I still have to figure out if I can push the mower aswell but I might leave that idea until the engine is in place and working. Next job is to weld on the 3 mounting brackets I made up.

15860164485773482689655951678616.jpg

15860165014941561097147003389778.jpg

20200404_160754.jpg

20200404_160819.jpg

• Like 2

3 hitch points welded on and a few previously welded parts done again with bigger rods I found.

Now the waiting game for all the parts and paint to show up..

I'm going to completely redo the rear wheels so they are independent of eachother, but again, I have to wait until the parts show up for that to take course.

20200404_195229.jpg

20200404_195650.jpg

• Like 2

Best mower i ever had totally self powered, built in GPS guidance system, maintenance free, never misses a spot, cuts when wet no matter how tall grass gets, and its only 1 HP !

self storing in winter!

5DA9A9CE-4B33-443F-A4ED-D09637CEC1B1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Steviejim said:

Best mower i ever had totally self powered, built in GPS guidance system, maintenance free, never misses a spot, cuts when wet no matter how tall grass gets, and its only 1 HP !

self storing in winter!

doubles a Fertilizer spreader!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Steviejim said:

self storing in winter!

thats one of 2, in my avatar. she has grown up now. both her and her mother, are light keepers. cob's. she stand's 42 hands high. araibian blood. her mother is flea bitten red. white, with red spots. i forget what the white, with blue spots are called.

my horses cleared the fence row of poison oak. who knew. my 2 go through $75 dollars of hay, sometimes more, a winter. course prices have went up.

rain and all during the summer. hay aint got much time to dry.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

there's also another option of changing the diameter of the bull pully (engine pulley) to vary the blade speed .... just been thinking about this .... with enough horse power .. you could go with a deferent diameter engine pulley .... and actually mow at a faster speed..  also a heavier disk .. and blade combo would help keep momentum up..(depending on the thickness of the growth) just tossing out some ideas ... also... have you thought about a magnetic clutch ... instead of a manual engagement ?? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LedFTed said:

thats one of 2, in my avatar. she has grown up now. both her and her mother, are light keepers. cob's. she stand's 42 hands high. araibian blood. her mother is flea bitten red. white, with red spots. i forget what the white, with blue spots are called.

my horses cleared the fence row of poison oak. who knew. my 2 go through $75 dollars of hay, sometimes more, a winter. course prices have went up.

rain and all during the summer. hay aint got much time to dry.

Your Spotted is probably a Blue Roan??

I got 3 one in pic is Quarter horse 18 hands hes my huntin partner, hes walked me up to a few big bucks and he aint gun shy! Wifes got 2 a  Red Appaloosa And a 34 year old Warm blood 21 hands, had good luck with hay last year just got enough dry weather to get it in 3 cuts, we burn through about 500 bales a year, Cobbs are surely easy keepers, and luckily all ours have been too. Had to put down my other Quarter horse last fall he got into something poisonous and it trashed his liver, tried for 3 months to save him 2 injections every day and countless antibiotics vet was here every 3 days, good thing he is a freind of mine, but just could not get the poison flushed out so had to throw in the towel! Broke my other horses heart he still looks for him, but they are awsome animals, Freind of mine has 2 Cobbs and I can say they are really tough horses sure footed as they come. Hope ya have better luck this year with hay!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

there's also another option of changing the diameter of the bull pully (engine pulley) to vary the blade speed .... just been thinking about this .... with enough horse power .. you could go with a deferent diameter engine pulley .... and actually mow at a faster speed..  also a heavier disk .. and blade combo would help keep momentum up..(depending on the thickness of the growth) just tossing out some ideas ... also... have you thought about a magnetic clutch ... instead of a manual engagement ?? 

To be honest, I haven't thought about the engine much, but my thoughts on it was to use a spring loaded pulley to engage the drum blades. I think the best thing to do would be to get the engine first, then mess around with various pulley sizes and see what works best for this deck.

I ordered a load of paint lately, etch primer, black, yellow and red gloss.. going to paint the outside of the deck yellow, the underside black and the rear wheel linkages red to match the top links that came in the post, so it might be painful to look at lol

The top links are quite short, 320mm at the shortest, 480mm at the longest so I should get decent clearance front to back and left to right. I have done as much as I can with the block wall as I ran out of material, so I'm going to concentrate on a few indoorsy projects with rain expected tomorrow, then get back to the mower next week. 

20200411_162108.jpg

20200411_162525.jpg

• Like 2

chevy if he was closer .... I'd do my best to talk him out of it .... if cuts like i think it will (like a disk mower) shes going to be one bad animal!! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

@_Wilson_™my work sold a pull behind mower that they used behind an Argo. Stuff goes for stupid prices. Employees have no first dibs, it all goes on gov deals . You usually can't afford  it with all the people bidding.

• Like 1

Turbo, I had thought the same thing as that picture because I have 2 push mowers here at the house and saw that same picture this morning! 

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:02 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

There (stationary) two point hitch .... Not 3 ... And yes it's pto driven .. Not sure if it's 540, or a 1000 rpm .... 

That setup would be sweet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chevymec said:

Turbo, I had thought the same thing as that picture because I have 2 push mowers here at the house and saw that same picture this morning! 

Half the battle I guess if you have a lot of grass to cut!

check this one out 

Double-Wide Push Mower

"It took too long to cut my lawn with a single 22-in. wide push mower so I built my own `double-wide' mower out of two push mowers. It mows twice as fast as a single push mower and works better than a riding mower," says Charles Roth, Greencastle, Penn.
Roth built the "double-wide" push mower by building a deck that ties the 22-in. wide mower and a 20-in. wide mower together.
"It really cuts grass in a hurry and didn't cost much to build," says Roth, who made the mower 6 years ago. "It cuts 40 in. wide, but actually cuts more than twice as fast as two 20-in. wide mowers because I'm making fewer passes and not over-lapping as much grass. It does a better job than a riding mower because I can mow right around trees without missing any grass. Also, there are no belts to break. Although it weighs about 100 lbs. and isn't self-propelled, I can push it as fast as a single mower because our lawn is relatively flat."
The "double-wide" mower uses the two mowers' original 3 hp Briggs & Stratton engines and blades. Roth removed the steel frames from both mowers and re-placed them with a 40-in. long, 20-in. wide, 3/4-in. thick plywood deck. He mounted the left motor and blades about 6 in. ahead of the right motor which allows each set of blades to overlap with-out interference. He bolted a pair of angle iron brackets to the top of each side of the deck and attached four mower wheels to them. A 16-in. long, 1 1/2-in. dia. roller at the front and rear keeps the mower from hanging up on uneven ground. Roth lengthened and widened one mower's handlebars and bolted the lower end of each side to the angle iron wheel mount brackets. "Both ends of the handlebar pivot on a bolt, allowing the handlebars to swing about 10 in. up or down as the mower goes over bumps."

it would be even better self propelled. 

https://www.farmshow.com/archives.php

lots of slick home builds here ^^

image.jpg

Its my mistake, for thinking ya wanted a motor on the deck, that you could use the drive the blades. i think Kohler, has the right motor for that, on a hill., the oil problem of motors, on an incline. with that being said, you are still making progress, and it looks good. better than i could do, on any given day.

dont know if this is a compliment or not, it's meant to be.

On March 26, 2020 at 4:24 PM, Turbo Twister said:

Would I be right to assume that a full pressure oiling system type engine would be somewhat more expensive and possibly a good bit heavier than a stationary engine?

yes but that being said .. most of the higher horse power (small) engines .. 18 hp and above would most likely be full pressure oiling ... oil starvation wont be any issues on 30% grades ... if you wanted to really keep a eye ... you could always add a pressure gauge .. and as toodeep stated ..  some come with a low engine oil shut off,  my 35 ton wood splitter has a Kohlar ...built in  safety switch ... but sense it's astationary unit .... i use a bubble level to completely level the machine before splitting ..  

• Like 1

Finally getting back to the mower project as I have run out of epoxy resin for now! The weather is beaming today, so an ideal time to get some painting done. You might think I'm colour blind but yes, I am painting the deck yellow and the hitch bar red lol!

More to come on this over the coming days, I have to sort out those rear wheels, as I'm not happy with the rear axle crossing the area of the rear chute!

15873988859642024549552385757054.jpg

• Like 2