toodeep

Wiring connections

What's everyone's go to method for repairing damaged wiring? I'm an old soldier, shrink tube kind of person but I have used barrel clamps and scotch locks in quick repairs. I just started using these solder seal connectors and I wished I would have found them years ago. A solder and shrink tube fix in one step. Yes, I did use just a chunk of wire for pics or the connector would have been on the wire. 

20200322_215748.jpg

20200322_215839.jpg

• Like 6

I saw those, would like to get some, and yea I'm a soldier shrink tube guy also.

I have used them , great idea , think the outer clear coating needs to be thicker / more durable  ----  find it is very easy to over heat them and it mess up  the plastic coating , but I just taped over the ones I have messed up ---  I used a heat gun to do them , maybe  one of them small propane torch style cigarette lights would be better ----what did you use for heat 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, toodeep said:

What's everyone's go to method for repairing damaged wiring? I'm an old soldier, shrink tube kind of person but I have used barrel clamps and scotch locks in quick repairs. I just started using these solder seal connectors and I wished I would have found them years ago. A solder and shrink tube fix in one step. Yes, I did use just a chunk of wire for pics or the connector would have been on the wire. 

20200322_215748.jpg

20200322_215839.jpg

I seen those advertising that product a wk or so on tv. That’s pretty cool and would like a few of those in my tool box. 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I have used them , great idea , think the outer clear coating needs to be thicker / more durable  ----  find it is very easy to over heat them and it mess up  the plastic coating , but I just taped over the ones I have messed up ---  I used a heat gun to do them , maybe  one of them small propane torch style cigarette lights would be better ----what did you use for heat 

I just use my lighter and work the heat back and forth with a little extra in the middle/solder on each pass. So far it's worked good. 

22 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I just use my lighter and work the heat back and forth with a little extra in the middle/solder on each pass. So far it's worked good. 

Can you observe the solder melt and transfer thru the wire strands? Or would it end up like a cold solder joint, just covering the outside of the wire?

You cant see it working through the wires like conventional soldering so I would say more like a cold solder joint. It is a tough connection as long as you let it cool before doing a test pull on it. My first couple I wanted to see how tough it was and didn't wait for it to cool off. I about threw them away but then did it right and waited. 

I had those pop up on my camelcamelcamel today from Amazon.  Think you can get 180 pieces for $12.99 or something like that.

Nice---I liked the idea when I first saw them, but wondered how well the solder flowed into the joint and if it made a cold joint

Looks pretty good to me on that last picture where you cut it in half

I might put a little flux on the wires to help the joint, but I am going to pick some of these up for sure

• Like 2

I wish I would have seen these before. I used some liquid electrical tape over tube connectors. Im not sure how good the stuff is and It doesn't give as clean of a look.