shadetree

here's what rtv '' red '' does to a top end !.

as you can see, this is whats left of a '90 trx300fw top end, red rtv sealant was gobbed all under rocker box !!!..DONT USE THIS CRAP !!!!. IF HONDA WANTED IT ON THERE ?, THEN THEY WOULD PUT IT ON THERE FROM THE FACTORY !!!!, USE HONDABOND OR YAMABOND..STAY THE FREAK AWAY FROM RTV SEALANT ON ANY MOTOR PART FOR ATVS !!!!.

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

• Like 6

Is that all there was? That looks more to me like the result of a backwards oil filter not that little bit of RTV. 

^^^ I'm going pop me a bag of popcorn and get a coke , be right back !!! LOL ^^^

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I used to always swear by Red RTV on my Honda.. After humouring Shade, I went with HondaBond... I'll never go back! Best stuff out there!!!!!!

• Like 1

Fish you gonna share that popcorn or what? oh wait never mind you probably put some kind of Cajun seasonings on it

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

Is that all there was? That looks more to me like the result of a backwards oil filter not that little bit of RTV. 

nooooooo, i dug a lot of it out of the head and rocker box when i removed the rocker box, prob half a tube inside the head ?.

Something else that should be mentioned , even after you ditch the RTV sealant , use that Honda Bond sparingly so it don't ooze out inside the case  and covers , this is the screen out my 300 , this engine was rebuilt and powder coated by Dick's Cycles , you can see a lot of  Honda Bond , red and silver flakes on the screen , it was 95% blocked up and was running hot , no doubt way 

fullsizeoutput_ba6.jpeg

IMG_5958.JPG

IMG_5959.JPG

here's one for ya'll !, oil filter, can you see whats wrong ?.

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

It's clearly stamped wrong ... Most likely a cheepo filter ?? 

image.jpg

yep..package said honda on bag, but it was made in ti-land !!..lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just cleaned up my front diff cases. I'll be applying Honda Bond as soon as I'm done typing this.... Years ago I surely would have used red RTV.... That red stuff works in a pinch but it's crap!

That oil filter in backwards is what caused the carnage. All sealers, if you use too much your going to have a chance of issues. I've come across some shady mechanic work with the hondabond as well and had to clean it out of the oil screen and oil pump (locked up the oil pump).  I only use hondabond HT and just a light coating on the surface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

That oil filter in backwards is what caused the carnage. All sealers, if you use too much your going to have a chance of issues. I've come across some shady mechanic work with the hondabond as well and had to clean it out of the oil screen and oil pump (locked up the oil pump).  I only use hondabond HT and just a light coating on the surface.

ok, the oil filter i posted IS NOT the oil filter i pulled from motor !, the filter that i removed from motor WAS installed facing the correct way. the oil filter i posted ^^^, was brand new, removed from the package i got from my bud. wanna use rtv sealant ?, be my guess !, me ?, i'm using yamabond/hondabond.

• Haha 1

Haha! I new it was a test ... Lol but you know some newbie would think okay how can this be wrong And doesn't look at the honda bible ...  Or filter cap... Then BAM! ... That's all she wrote... 

49 minutes ago, shadetree said:

ok, the oil filter i posted IS NOT the oil filter i pulled from motor !, the filter that i removed from motor WAS installed facing the correct way. the oil filter i posted ^^^, was brand new, removed from the package i got from my bud. wanna use rtv sealant ?, be my guess !, me ?, i'm using yamabond/hondabond.

Like I said, I only use Hondabond HT. I was just saying for that carnage either they at one time put a filter in backwards or they used a lot of any sealer and blocked the oil passage to the head cover. I just wouldn't blame the carnage on the sealer but more the person prior to the damage. Either way it was from human error and they would have done it with hondabond (if they did seal the oil passage).

• Like 1

update: well, after getting the top end back together, and trying to kick start the engine, it would not kick over right ?, hmm. i changed out the head to a trx250 head, trx300 cam, and trx300 rocker box, everything bolted right up, but still could not kick start it at all ?. pulled top end back down, discovered i had installed the valves in the wrong place, i thought that was my problem ?!. nope, all fixed. bolted back on, same thing with kick starting engine !!..wth ???. pulled clutch cover back off, looked at everything, seemed right ?, all back together, same issue ?. went to my buds place this morning, got all trx300 parts, all back together, SAME ISSUE !!. i was stumped ! ( enjoy this moment ..it dont happen very often !..lol ). it has to be on the clutch side, because this motor was kicking over just fine when i first got it running days ago.

so, again, tore the clutch side back down once again, removed both clutches, after inspecting the change clutch carefully , it seemed that the friction disk were sticking, stuck, pinched ?, i took the clutch all the way down, washed it in my parts washer, air dried it with my compressor, back together, all bolted back in the engine, clutch cover all back on, flipped it right side up, got up, put foot on kick starter, felt right ?, gave it a good kick, it fired right up with out any issue on first kick !.

FOR THE RECORD BOOK: yes, you can use a trx250 head, trx300 cam, trx300 rocker box, trx300 cam chain, and it would run !.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Like I said, I only use Hondabond HT. I was just saying for that carnage either they at one time put a filter in backwards or they used a lot of any sealer and blocked the oil passage to the head cover. I just wouldn't blame the carnage on the sealer but more the person prior to the damage. Either way it was from human error and they would have done it with hondabond (if they did seal the oil passage).

i do agree, if the oil filter was ever installed backwards at one time ?, yes..it will ruin the top end very fast !.

Its not Red RTV that causes any problem, its humans who don't know how to use it that cause problems. Thats no different than claiming that guns kill people, so we must takeaway everyone's guns.

• Like 1

Yep nothing wrong with red RTV If used as intended. I always use Hondabond or equivalent  on ATV engines BUT if you get some meathead applying gobs of that where they shouldn’t the results will be very similar. 

• Like 1

Red RTV makes an excellent shifter seal.....

Who needs to buy a $2 seal when you can gob a whole tube of Red RTV on there?

shifter.jpg

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

shifter.jpg

omg !..lol. yep...its crap like that, that makes me wanna slap their momma !..lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

shifter.jpg

and let me guess, they probably burnt out the seal welding the shifter onto the shaft lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

and let me guess, they probably burnt out the seal welding the shifter onto the shaft lol

They should have known better , one little tach is all you need , then you won't need as much the red stuff afterwards  , lol --------

- everyone hates the shifter welders , I admit I am one of them , I bet you could find a couple in the yard welded , one of them maybe 8 years ago , who knows I may never have to take it apart again 

15 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

Well the end of the shift shaft is obviously ruined, and when i bought it the motor was out of the bike, top end off, and the rest of the machine had been spray painted grey, then red, then white, then blue, over the original green.  Took me about 4-5 cans of aircraft stripper to get the plastics back to the original green color.

Gotta love it when 13 year old kids get handed a wheeler with no supervision.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well the end of the shift shaft is obviously ruined, and when i bought it the motor was out of the bike, top end off, and the rest of the machine had been spray painted grey, then red, then white, then blue, over the original green.  Took me about 4-5 cans of aircraft stripper to get the plastics back to the original green color.

Gotta love it when 13 year old kids get handed a wheeler with no supervision.

those stupid 13 yrd olds keep us in bizz !..rofl.