Hondaforeman93

2004 Honda foreman 450 ES, won’t start

And I agree everything does have its breaking point , just seems kind of ironic it happens at that time lol, 

I’ll take the top off and peak at the valves , I’m sure they are fine , and the bike shouldn’t have jumped time or anything either 

• Like 1

Hondaforeman , is that your thread on honda.atv on this same subject  , that has not got a reply yet ? 

That's good news that you found you way , a majority of us were over there , and now we are here , also there are guys from Hondaforeman .com and other sites  there are some very knowledgeable guys here , so it is turning ot to be a smar'gous'borg , all have their specialties , my major  is in BS , hope you find the problem and stick around , pics draw attention , show us something !!! 

• Haha 3

Haha surely noted lol.

put gas in the spark plug hole, still all it will do is roll over , I’ve never had this problem before , got me baffled , I can’t see it being the valves , like I said it was running before I changed carbs 

image.jpg

Edited by Hondaforeman93

Soooooo guys , I have tried the old carb , a brand new carb from amazon, and the carb off my other foreman which I know works . Still won’t start !!! Poured gas down the spark plug hole , tried another brand new spark plug , still a no go. Pulled gas line off carb and plenty of fuel flow , don’t hear any engine knocks , motor is rolling over fast and spark plug is bone dry . Oil temp sensor underneath the bike the plug is off of it, would this stop it from starting ??? 

has spark still , good compression, I’m lost lol, it is getting everything it needs, If it was running before the carb replacement , it should run now, but it won’t. 

cant see why it would jump time or bend a valve or valves would need adjusting if it was running prior. 

any more ideas ?

33 minutes ago, Hondaforeman93 said:

Soooooo guys , I have tried the old carb , a brand new carb from amazon, and the carb off my other foreman which I know works . Still won’t start !!! Poured gas down the spark plug hole , tried another brand new spark plug , still a no go. Pulled gas line off carb and plenty of fuel flow , don’t hear any engine knocks , motor is rolling over fast and spark plug is bone dry . Oil temp sensor underneath the bike the plug is off of it, would this stop it from starting ??? 

has spark still , good compression, I’m lost lol, it is getting everything it needs, If it was running before the carb replacement , it should run now, but it won’t. 

cant see why it would jump time or bend a valve or valves would need adjusting if it was running prior. 

any more ideas ?

and what is the compression reading ?, don't assume its ok !!!, do a compression test, you need at least a min of 100 psi to run. once again, if it wont hit off starting fluid ?, then this tells me the timing is off ?, of not enough compression ?.

I am going to get a chicken , a bottle of rum and a cigar -----  cook the chicken , drink the rum and then have a cigar and think about for you , something I learned from my ex , she was a Voodoo Princess

Quick thought , if you do have good spark and you dumped fuel into the cylinder , and it didn't pop , then it would have to be compression or timing  ---- I think I would want to see the compression reading on a gauge , I know when my 300 gets right below  100PSI , it won't run any more , it still has compression , but not enough -- the 450 is 178-209psi  decompression  not affected   and 78-12psi  with compression affected 

Shade ,  you beat me by milli-seconds , but I had to catch that chicken 

• Like 1

Just now, Fishfiles said:

Shade ,  you beat me by milli-seconds , but I had to catch that chicken 

haha..and the rum too !..rofl.

• Like 1

Hahahahahaha , made my day lol.

but I can’t see why it would be compression or timing if it was running fine prior to changing the carb 😞 

I’m soon gunna smash the bottle of rum over my head and let the woman beat me with the chicken and put the cigar out on my forehead 

• Like 1

Do you have the manual for your bike , I think we can get you a digital down load around here , the test procedure for that 450 is a bit different as it has a decompression device built into it for easy starting ---------  that is why I listed two different specs above

Did you hold the throttle wide open when you done that test ?????  It will give you a bad reading  if not ...

40 ain't too good , eh ... 

Did you hold the throttle wide open when doing the compression test? First thing I read that caught my attention was the backfire every now and then. Most of the time (not always) a faulty spark plug will do that. Have you tried a different plug in it (I  might have missed that part if you did)?

Yes I held throttle wide open and has new spark plug , ask just checked timing , it’s showing the T mark in the centre of the hole and the piston is at top, so it’s in time , gunna check the valves now

31 minutes ago, Hondaforeman93 said:

Yes I held throttle wide open and has new spark plug , ask just checked timing , it’s showing the T mark in the centre of the hole and the piston is at top, so it’s in time , gunna check the valves now

please make sure you put the T mark for the timing , WHEN ONLY ON COMPRESSION STROKE !. then set / check valves adjustment.

I think I was on compression stroke, I just put cover back on , both valves set to .006, putting back together and gunna try to start it up, exhaust valve was tight , couldn’t fit anything in there

10 minutes ago, Hondaforeman93 said:

I think I was on compression stroke, I just put cover back on , both valves set to .006, putting back together and gunna try to start it up, exhaust valve was tight , couldn’t fit anything in there

please read this ---> 

How to set and adjust valves ( any 4 stroke motor ) 

We seem to be seeing alot of members joining..or already here ?..and buying..getting thier hands on ?..lol..an atv..then they ask us..ok..i bought..begged..barrowed my buddies atv ?!..lol..and now i need to adjust the valves...because it's making a loud tapping noise !..ok..maybe even a slight ticking noise ?..lol. well..the main thing i'm seeing..is when eveyone get's done with thier valve adjusting..then they come back and say..'' hey..i adjusted my valves..and not only is it louder now '' ?..but it won't even start '' !. ok..well..this is simple folks..when you did your valve adjusting ?..and you thought you had your piston on top dead center ?..you more than likely had the piston on top dead center on the exhaust stroke !!. 
and now your asking me..how do i know the difference ????..right ???..lol. simple..this is a golden rule i learned many..many moons ago !!..( and yes..if you searched alittle..this has been covered many times here ! )..when you think you have the piston on the compression stroke to set the valves ??..do this...turn the crank backwards..as your doing this..watch the intake valves...if they start to move any when you are turning the crank ?..then turn the crank back the other way...until you see the index on the flywheel line back up where you first had it..then set your valves. iffffffffff..for some reason when you start to turn the crank backwards from where you first started..and the intake valves never moves at all ??..then turn the crank back to where you first started on the index...then keep turning it all the way around..until that same index line ..lines back up inside the case and flywheel...now your piston is on TDC on the compression storke !. again..always...always turn the crank backwards from when you first start..if the intake valves start to move when you do this ?..then you had it right to begin with..just turn the crank back the other way..until your index is back on the line/marks..set your valves..button everything back up..all done !. ifffff they never move ?..then you go back to the index..keep turning..all the way around..index lines up..piston is on TDC..set the valves..button it up..all done !. added : seems I forgot how to tell you to turn the crank backwards ? ( sorry..i'm old..and thank you.. to a member here for pointing this out that I left this part out here ). if you have a pull starter rope ?, remove the pull starter rope cover, now you can use the 17mm center bolt with a 17mm ratchet and socket to turn the crank backwards .

• Like 3

New spark plug doesn't always mean good spark plug, that's why I asked if you tried a different one.

Okay, so reset the valves And engine was on compression strike TDC, I have tried 3 different spark plugs ?

Could voltage regulator be the issue maybe ?? just a thought 

will roll over all day long just won’t start!! 

AB3BD96F-EB93-4CB6-A5E5-48E235E13552.jpeg

Hi, check the exhaust system... see if a rodent crawled into your muffler and plugged it up?

Any suggestions for cleaning valves without removing the cylinder head ? 

and there’s nothing in the exhaust system :(, I wish it was that easy lol

Just wanted to say thanks for all the helps guys , it’s going to a shop, compression is to low , has to be something more internal.

thanks again