jeepwm69

A project for Retro and any other electrical gurus on here (MelATV?)

Lost power here last weekend for about 6 hours.  Not enough time to make me drag out my generator and hook it up, but it did remind me that my sister's ES3500 Honda generator (probably late 70's model) control box needs to be rewired.  She runs a catering business and has 8-10 fridges and freezers in her house full of food at any given time, so she needs a generator if the power stays out long. 

Picked this thing up about 6-8 years ago.  Had HORRIBLE goop in the gas tank.  Ended up having to use muriatic acid to get the tank clean.  Stuff looked like dried shoe goo in the bottom of the tank.

Anyhow, got the fuel system cleaned out and it fired right up and ran like a top.  Drained the tank, sloshed some premix around in there to coat the sides, and put in up for when it would be needed.

Back in the spring we lost power, and I got it out.  Fired right up, but wasn't putting out any power to the receptacles.  I dug into it and apparently some mice got up in the control box and nested.  It was full of a nest, and they peed all over everything, which corroded all the wiring in there.

So the control box needs to be rewired.  I found a wiring diagram, but I have a hard time following these things, especially when it concerns AC stuff.  Had two 110 receptacles and a couple of breakers in there.  The wiring just crumbled apart when I tried removing the stuff, so it was hard to tell what went where.

Think if I can post up some pics yall can help me with getting some new wire run in this thing?

• Like 1

Might be worth a shot if ya can show us the wiring diagram? Or you can mail that control box to me to refurb if it unplugs easily and is removable?

3500 watt generator would only run a frig & freezer --not 8 - 10 of them

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol. Yeah it’s out, and sitting on my shelf. Was on my to-do list before baby arrived. 

I’ll take some pics when I get back to town after thanksgiving. Headed to the in-laws now

As for running several fridges, the only time she’s used it we would rotate the fridges and freezers a couple at a time. As long as you leave the doors closed it was enough to keep everything cold/frozen.

• Like 2

I am discovering that the third row in the wife’s GX460 isn’t meant for adults. 7.5 hours so far. My knees are killing me!

Wife gets carsick back here, and her aunt and dad are too old to get back here so that leaves me. 

I need a DRANK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I am discovering that the third row in the wife’s GX460 isn’t meant for adults. 7.5 hours so far. My knees are killing me!

Wife gets carsick back here, and her aunt and dad are too old to get back here so that leaves me. 

I need a DRANK

Not long now buddy, hang in there..!! I bet your hangover will be worse than the knee pains your now experiencing haha

Hey Jeep. I Googled "wiring diagram for honda es3500 " and found what you need. It was in the thumbnails 

Edited by Misterclean
error

The capacitor is what usually goes out  , mine went out this year when I fired it up after Olga the tropical depression , got a new one  from the appliance part store , it cost me about $15 for a new one , didn't look exactly the same but work as the numbers were the same , it was a no brainer that it was bad as the wires going to it were burned black on the covering -----a old trick if the capacitor is bad and you need electricity , take a extension cord and cut the female end off , strip the wires  , start the generator , put the male 110 end in the port of the generator , touch the two stripped wires to a 12v battery for a split second , it will excite the generator and go to working till you kill the engine , then you have to do it again ---another way to do it is plug a variable speed drill into the power port , start the generator and turn the chuck of the drill backwards with your hand  , be ready for the drill to go to spinning 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah the wires in this one were all eaten up from mouse pee. 

Guess I need to fill that box with moth balls if I can get ut going again?

• Like 1

Finally got some time to start cleaning up/organizing my shop. Shadetree got a glimpse of it a while back. Let’s just say it looked like Sanford and Son.

Anyhow, I dug the control box out. @Retro think you can walk me through rewiring these outlets/circuit breakers? The mouse pee had pretty much eaten and corroded everything around the 110 outlet. 

5F62C20C-5BF4-424B-8498-8537AD3747F8.jpeg

08AC6E5A-53AE-4EA2-9900-DB08BE8A9EFD.jpeg

9340B480-F6D7-4951-B5E8-87E985C4B220.jpeg

E360E6BC-8EAE-4602-9F8A-5E17AC023095.jpeg

A959AA00-899E-4278-AB25-6E4FD0E24073.jpeg

Dang wiring diagram looks like Greek to me.

This thing worked well a couple of years ago.   Picked it up in 2013.  When I got it the carb and gas tank had stuff in it that looked like dried F26.  Worst fuel system I've ever seen.  Had to use muriatic acid and a pressure washer to get the tank clean, then sloshed some premix around in the tank and stored it dry.

It's electric start so my sister can crank it easily on her own.  Dang thing probably weighs 150 lbs too!

wiring es3500.pdf

I'll be happy to help ya make that new again Jeep. I'll be continuing to live in power conservation mode (no solar power here, active weather/troughing pattern is forecast) until at least the middle of January tho , so I won't be logged on here very often. If you want to ship that bugger to me I could probably restore everything and have it back in your hands by about the 3rd week in January or so...? Otherwise, I'll be very little help to anyone until the weather pattern changes over and I get some occasional sunshine. This is an average winter (cloudy, snowy, short dark days) so far... I've learned over the years that its easiest to just wait these patterns out. My soldering stuffs is always ready to go though. In fact, I'm planning on starting on my winter projects sometime in January... making lists out now for several supplies orders. If you'd rather work on it yourself I'll be back when the sun comes back... or maybe @Melatv or someone else can chime in often enough to help..? PM me if ya decide to ship.

Ya that diagram is a lot better. Piece of cake now.

• Thanks 1