Mac102004

What’s your favourite Penetrating Oil?

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Package sent , arrival Wednesday ,  enjoy !!! 

ty bro !!.

• Like 1

I was sold on Deep Creep after the first time I used it. I've used Kroil, didn't make me want to drop my deep creep.  

• Like 1

Some time back I was swapped the transmission in my truck and I had a bolt that just wouldn't budge, and remembered and old tip using brake fluid  and figured why not so put a few dabs on it and went back to it a few days later and that did the trick. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jeffo21 said:

does Vaseline count?

Bet you ask cause you  got a 5 gallon pale at the house , LOL 

• Haha 3

dang I am so sory you meant a very different type of penetrating

On 3/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, Mac102004 said:

I took about a dozen 5/16 bolts and nuts today and sand blasted them, they were zinc coated or whatever it is. Going to drill a piece of flat bar tonight and put the bolts through it. Tighten them up and dump them in ocean water lol, I guess I'll torque them to 15-20ft-lbs so I have a reference point, have to look up actual torque spec for 5/16 UNF.

I know similar tests have been done, seen it before on YT, just want to see first hand. 

Project Farm on you tube did it a while back. The guy is very thorough. 

^^^he started out good with his test , but  his test it only for the breaking off the torque , where it really makes a difference is after you break it loose and it is hard all the way till the end compared to being able to spin it with your fingers , that is what I am looking for 

• Like 2

I don't think I ever seen bob the oil guy -----

once the nut is broken loose but is still hard to turn  from the rust , and you apply the penetrant as you are turning the nut , that is where you can see a difference , I see nuts that would have broken off if I continued turning and they were not sprayed along the way coming off --- 

• Like 1

Wilson , I watch one video , cool , there is a lot of info and videos on that site 

• Like 1

I have had good luck with PB Blaster and have stuck with it

Going to try some Deep Creep this summer just to see if I can tell a difference

Back in the day an old mecanic friend gave me a mixture of (he said) ATF, diesel,and acetone? in a spray bottle

to work on my minibike when I was first starting out

It seemed to work well, but I  also seem to remember getting it all over the place and me too

PB Blaster my go to, that and a little Permatex Anti-seize when pttin back together and next time comes right off easy!

Anti-seize is the best ! you can buy for keeping any bolt from locking up and it last for years, even works on exhaust bolts for quite a while!!

gota be Permatex though!!

used to use wd also but cant get more than half of it out the can lately before it stops spraying out, the new nozzles on wd re total junk!!

image.jpg

Recently read about wax , either canning wax , some say bees wax , heat the nut up then melt wax into the threads , supposivley it soaked into the threads , never read anyone that said it did work great , might have to give that a try one day 

• Like 2

I heard my friend's uncle's cousin's estranged drunk dad heating a bolt up with a torch then peed on it. Said it worked like a charm. But,I dunno....

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If I’ve got a rusty mess to work on, I’ll mix up either H5606 (aviation hydraulic fluid) or ATF 50/50 with acetone. I’ll put it in a pressurized spray can and go at it. Smaller jobs are either Kroil or ACF-50/ corrosion X...those last two are identical except one has the mil-spec #.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

I heard my friend's uncle's cousin's estranged drunk dad heating a bolt up with a torch then peed on it. Said it worked like a charm. But,I dunno....

It that works , on the weekend I could get rich filling bottles , LOL 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Recently read about wax , either canning wax , some say bees wax , heat the nut up then melt wax into the threads , supposivley it soaked into the threads , never read anyone that said it did work great , might have to give that a try one day 

South main Auto tried that trick......didn't work for him. He has an automotive repair shop in upstate New York. I is always fighting rusty/seized/broken bolts because of the salt. Heat seems to work for him. hes has many different Heating devices. One is an electric heating element that wraps around a nut.........it worked on that special occasion.

• Like 2

That wax trick probably works, and was probably a great idea prior to modern day penetrants, but now is probably best suited for a "world ended, no penetrating oil left" scenario.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I tried to find some "tests" on the stuff I use (torq cb) and didn't find anything with rusted stuff but i did find this one. I've used pretty much all the common stuff and this is still my go to. When working on belt drive machines this is my go to cleaner as well. It cuts and cleans the stick to everything grease used on the weights fast.

• Like 1