Chevymec

Talked myself into a rear drum to disc swap.... kinda

Just like my front diff, I finally got around to fixing my rear brakes that have never worked. New Honda cables and shoes... and that's when it turned into a moment of silence. After splitting the drum open,  it came off.  Every dang thing in there was froze up. Cracked the backing plate in the process of prying the drum, I figured I could live with that. The Oring was still in place and it was on the top. Then I saw how much a used rear drum brake setup is.... looks like I will come out cheaper doing a disc swap. Is the Super ATV the only kit out there for an 05 Foreman 500 4x4?

To my knowledge it is. I bought their kits for the front and rear. Easy to swap them out. 

13971E34-9642-4CDF-84A2-D26388FBDB58.jpeg

AC91541F-5654-4E98-A362-633A618BF215.jpeg

91B670BC-7E2E-4CC8-9B2C-A59EAC2B1379.jpeg

EE36DD9C-8D5F-481A-8451-0AB2C8F32FA0.jpeg

• Like 2

The rear kit supposedly doesn't work well for long unless you convert it to hydraulic, but if you do that I think you'd be happy with it.

@SuperATV is a vendor here.  They were looking into making a hydraulic kit at one time.

TRX450 Super ATV rear conversion kit converted to hydraulics , foot pedal and left front lever both work the rear brake 

IMG_8218.JPG

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

TRX450 Super ATV rear conversion kit converted to hydraulics , foot pedal and left front lever both work the rear brake 

IMG_8218.JPG

Have a write up on how and what you needed.

29 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

Have a write up on how and what you needed.

Yes , it is in my build thread  from the old site hondaatv.com , I will look it up and paste a link to the page for you , it is 2000 TRX450SS -fishfiles 

Quick glance Yamaha Grizzly front master , Honda GoldWing foot master , Fragola hoses and fittings , TRX250 brake hose splitter and a brake caliper cap to cover the lever hole once lever is removed 

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The rear kit supposedly doesn't work well for long unless you convert it to hydraulic, but if you do that I think you'd be happy with it.

@SuperATV is a vendor here.  They were looking into making a hydraulic kit at one time.

Jeepwm69 do you know if they ever did come out with the hydraulic kit?

17 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Jeepwm69 do you know if they ever did come out with the hydraulic kit?

They haven't yet.

• Like 1

Does @SuperATV still offer a site discount? I saw mention of a discount in another thread?

Thanks for the link to the build thread! I will check it out tonight!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

Does @SuperATV still offer a site discount? I saw mention of a discount in another thread?

Thanks for the link to the build thread! I will check it out tonight!!

Yes SuperATV will give you a discount , when you order from them , if you have any problems  use Erik's name , he has a link here on this site ----your welcome , any questions I can help with , let me know 

• Like 1

So I agree that the break cable setup for the rear disc doesn’t work very well on the Super ATV rear disc break and I haven’t used the rear break much because the front breaks are awesome. So I decided today to see if I could get the rear to work better. And I have accomplished going from barely feeling any stopping power to now being able to lockup the rear breaks.  Look at the pictures I’ve added and look close at the break arm that the cables are connected to. The first picture the arm is angled forward this doesn’t work well, poor breaking. The second & third picture the arm is more vertical and the cables have more leverage now and I can lock up the rear break now. Notice that the cables no longer extend beyond the wing nuts.  To achieve this I backed out the adjustment bolt (that the arm is held on by) until the arm was free from the pressure cam then turned the cam bolt in until I got the arm to sit vertical when reinstalled. Tighten everything back up cables on and was very happy with the results. Time will tell if this is a lasting fix. 

FA559CE2-3066-407C-BC5A-CEE1A8D5497A.jpeg

819F6488-5635-4E50-B51D-5253EDDC21A6.jpeg

1ECF833E-5D24-481B-B603-62BA3B568799.jpeg

• Like 2

Kit came in today and went on in about 30 minutes. It was packaged great!  I already had the drum stuff off. In the process of replacing both the brake cables. My foot pedal was frozen up so after getting it off, cleaned up, and greased good the pedal works smooth now.  Gonna replace the hand cable tomorrow evening. Wish my camera worked on my phone, I would of taken some pictures of the process. Thanks @SuperATV  for the quick shipping and response!

• Like 3

No pics and it didn't happen , so I have been told , and I learned that  on your old site , then when I did start posting pics , they said I meet my quota and had to pay to post more pics ----  LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol @Fishfiles. The camera on my phone is broken so I didn't take any pics of the process.  I did get my foreman all back together tonight.  What I didn't like about the setup was that the lever the cables go in to actuate the caliper didn't have much rebound to relieve the caliper. I started thinking about adding a spring and came up with a temporary fix for now. I had 2 springs left over from removing them from the drum setup.  I hooked them together and went from the bleeder to the lever.  Rebounds perfect.  I did grab my tablet and took a picture  but left it in the shop. Ill grab it and transfer the picture .

Edited by Chevymec
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Chevymec said:

This is my temp fix.

20200409_193751.jpg

was doing some reading on this rear brake set-up, seems this is the down fall of this rear brake. the arm wont return, not enough spring to force it back into neutral position, others have also told super atv to make a spring bracket of some sort to return the arm.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:55 PM, Chevymec said:

This is my temp fix.

20200409_193751.jpg

Any plans to switch the fronts over to disc now?

7 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Any plans to switch the fronts over to disc now?

They are disc from the factory. 

I read you said you were not happy with the rear brake , did you adjust that bolt in the middle of the brake arm 

Late to the party.. it looks like you had to back off the adjusting wing nuts quite a bit to get the lever to where you got substantial braking. How much engagement do you have left on those nuts now?