Menard_LaPue

Navigation with Tablets

I have been using a Samsung tablet with Backcountry Navigator  for mapping my route, which worked great until the tablet pooped out. I am looking for a cheaper tablet, with a built-in gps, and a model with a replaceable battery. [Tired of throwing these away just because they lose all value once the battery dies]. Any suggestions?

The Backcountry Navigator software has been great, because topos and satellite imagery can be downloaded before heading out into no-cell service land. I generally mark the trails and paths I will take before the trip, and this saves a lot of time. It has also been helpful to mark my quad when leaving it in deep brush and hiking off somewhere else... no problems finding it.  Took a 65 mile ride recently, with a lot of "short cuts", and having the satellite images really helped.

I use a Garmin Montana on my atv , it doesn't use regular batteries and is rechargeable  , but it does have a charging port built into the quick mount , so it can be hooked to power while in the craddle ----------  I have the Garmin program on the home computer , so my trip can be uploaded from the GPS , then over laid on to Google Earth or other maps to see where I went , and plan the next trip by placing way points in to the unit at the desk and then down load it back into the GPS  , the quick mounts are cheap so I have one on all my personal atvs so I can swop it from one to the other quick and easy  ----Mel is very knowledgable on GPS navigation and helped me get it set up and running with the program Garmin Base Camp 

I use my phone with the Polaris Ride Command app. Great GPS tool that has all of the State trail system on it and topo mapping.