slowindown

2002 Rancher 4x4 ES shift issue

I don't have any advice, than the other's.

I have  2002 Rancher ES with 7,500 miles on the clock and every now and then my shifter don't want to work either.  I have had the angle sensor replaced and still have the same problem.  sometimes it wont want to shift into Reverse or shift down if you shut it off in gear.  This is not a daily problem but out of 20 days 1 day will be this way.

I bought this 

http://hondaesshifter.com/

put on where the emergency shifter goes and for that 1 day I use the foot shifter to get the gear I need.

The Foot shifter is not as nice as the regular foot shift but it beats the heck out of using the emergency shift lever.

I use this ATV in winter for snowplowing and not being able to shift 1st to R is a big deal when plowing snow.  Also keep a top level battery in it as well and keep it charged up mine has a trickle charger on it when parked in the winter.

best of luck in getting this to work.  just thought I would give you another option to consider.

the Hondaesshifter is not the greatest thing but it has worked and saved me and kept the ATV going where I would have been forced to shovel by hand and drag the ATV back home and invest more $$$ into making it work better.

For reverse if that wire on the back case isn’t making a good connection it won’t go into reverse. 

I’m probably going to just permanently ground it on my kid’s rig. They won’t go into reverse without that red button being pushed on the handlebars so to me the wire seems to be redundant 

most of my ATV's for the reverse I have put a couple of Zip Ties on the cable up by the handle bars that takes care of having to use the button to shift into reverse.

Its a quick 2 min fix of that problem for me.

IMG_0489.JPG

Well I got the diff loose and the front drive shaft disconnected.  Waiting on someone to help me lift up the front and stand it on its rack...

• Like 1

I have a house full of women so I have to be creative.

i put a brick behind the rear tire, jack the front up as high as it will go, then have a woman get on the very back of the rear rack and put all their weight on the back. I can usually flip it up from there 

• Like 1

Got winch ?  Roof rafter , punch a hole if the celling is sheet rocked 

I got it lifted, barely. Lol. 

We’re doing family stuff so I probably won’t have a chance to get back to it til tomorrow. I picked up some left handed drill bits at harbor freight. I’ll probably try welding a nut on it first since I can get at it better now. 

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

Well I got it out. It sure didn’t come willingly. Tapping it. Liquid wrench. Rocking it back and forth til it finally moved. Then rocking it through a half to one turn. More liquid wrench. Etc. 

I never would have gotten it without taking the cover off. 

55185BC4-2615-4368-8208-C77069AFA510.jpeg

95EA2802-DDFD-45E4-8EFA-FDC1531E4083.jpeg

57A06683-DC36-4DC2-9B18-1C05CE963C72.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, AKATV said:

. . . speaking of fiddly-those brushes are a bit of a trick getting back in the motor but since you have it apart, it good to clean and lube the armature bushings

as well with synthetic lube, it will will help too

What is this bit of a trick that you speak of?:classic_unsure:

I put the front cover back on and am going to try and regrease and put the ES stuff back on in a bit.

@slowindown, hold up for a bit.... I am making a full ES system prep guide right now. It'll be posted in about an hour or so.

Yessir. Thank you. Before I saw your post I cleaned the innards of the motor with the some CRC electrical contact cleaner and was able to hold the brushes in with 2 pieces I cut off an old insurance card and a rubber band and drop the armature in. But I’ve stopped. I’m kinda semi-educated guessing at this and look forward to your write up. 

EE74255A-8FC0-4E26-8091-2D4B9F79ECC1.jpeg

7C61E2EF-6D37-43A0-BB43-34C213DFF1BF.jpeg

HAHA you are the man!- I like the busines card trick, mine was similar, but I used bent paper clips

Sorry I was slow in reply, but I see you got the armature back in !

I ran into the same issue when I took mine apart-dont forget to lube the armature bushings in both ends with a dot of synthetic

Let us know how it works when you all back together

Edited by AKATV

Here it is @slowindown, follow those instructions thoroughly and completely and you'll never have to touch your ES system again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retro said:

Here it is @slowindown, follow those instructions thoroughly and completely and you'll never have to touch your ES system again!

Very well done up my friend --- I have copied it and put it with my ATV notes

• Like 1

After I replaced my swing arm boot, I got to put the machine through its paces.  I could not replicate the problem.  It shifts great. Thanks so much!

• Like 4