Goober

86 TRX350A Resto

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

WOW , Smithsonian Museum Quality !!!  

sure enough a collectors dream!! nice restor goober! 

• Thanks 1

Outstanding 350 Goober! WOW!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, retro said:

Outstanding 350 Goober! WOW!

That 2000F paint was really fighting to keep from bubbling but it’s still there! Thanks for recommending it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DuckOfDeath said:

Great job, Goober.  Looks fantastic!

Thanks Duck—got yer old stator in it!

good to see you active again machinecrook .... it's about time some of the long time members show up :-)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

good to see you active again machinecrook .... it's about time some of the long time members show up 🙂

Haha yeah! This covid business had me very busy but work related things are getting a bit more back to normal. Heck I've barely been on my 4 wheeler or cut any wood in 3 months!

• Like 2

I bought an old Cycle Country manual lift kit for my Kolpin plow. It is part number 15-0015; the old part number 15-0010 will fit this quad but the drawbar is too short to clear the foot wells on newer quads. 15-0015 is called the extended manual lift kit—the draw bar is 2-3 inches wider than the 15-0010.

the kit installs on a push tube assembly that is prepped for this type of manual lift. It will have a welded on flange and eyelet on the left side tube. So here is the installed kit on the plow assembly.

i bought a set of NOS plow mounts for this old girl, too.

65525D2B-9E92-4731-9D95-AD91A458963C.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 4

i replaced the tie rod ends closest to the steering arm today. I got them pretty well aligned so I’ll drive it tomorrow and make final adjustments. Steering is still loose so I’ll look at changing the steering bushes. 

i found the lug nuts loose. Don’t know why maybe I didn’t torque them. I’m hoping that’s what was clicking. Maybe i can get it on the trail tomorrow. 

I found an original new CMP front cooler carrier for this old Fourtrax. And i put my old beat up Hondaline accessory bumper under it. i really like the look of it without the bumper and carrier—you know, the no-option look. Because now i have to install a headlight riser to see over the carrier. Well if i want to take it into the woods, I’ll probably want the carrier. 

9138A76B-D1AD-4F8D-9A74-41156A4CF492.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/11/2021 at 9:57 PM, Goober said:

i replaced the tie rod ends closest to the steering arm today. I got them pretty well aligned so I’ll drive it tomorrow and make final adjustments. Steering is still loose so I’ll look at changing the steering bushes. 

i found the lug nuts loose. Don’t know why maybe I didn’t torque them. I’m hoping that’s what was clicking. Maybe i can get it on the trail tomorrow. 

I found an original new CMP front cooler carrier for this old Fourtrax. And i put my old beat up Hondaline accessory bumper under it. i really like the look of it without the bumper and carrier—you know, the no-option look. Because now i have to install a headlight riser to see over the carrier. Well if i want to take it into the woods, I’ll probably want the carrier. 

9138A76B-D1AD-4F8D-9A74-41156A4CF492.jpeg

i have not checked to see if the steering bushings are discontinued lately ?, but i can tell you this, the upper bushing , if it is discontinued ?, do what i did, i took a bearing race that matched the outside dia, then used my dremel with a grinding stone, and made the inner dia to fit the steering shaft, yes..it took over an hour to grind it..because they are tempered..lol. but it was worth it..that steering bushing now will never wear out !..lol. as for the lower steering bushing  bearing ?, same thing..not sure if its around as well ?.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

i have not checked to see if the steering bushings are discontinued lately ?, but i can tell you this, the upper bushing , if it is discontinued ?, do what i did, i took a bearing race that matched the outside dia, then used my dremel with a grinding stone, and made the inner dia to fit the steering shaft, yes..it took over an hour to grind it..because they are tempered..lol. but it was worth it..that steering bushing now will never wear out !..lol. as for the lower steering bushing  bearing ?, same thing..not sure if its around as well ?.

I missed that steering bearing modification , sounds ike something I would like 

• Like 2

I need to change those bushings because the steering is still loose. I did get the alignment set, though. 

2 hours ago, Goober said:

I need to change those bushings because the steering is still loose. I did get the alignment set, though. 

RMATV has both the upper steering bushing, and lower steering bearing in stock, i'd advise you to buy them !.

• Like 3

Thanks @shadetreeI finally ordered two sets of steering shaft bearing and bushing. One for each quad. Not really looking forward to the work, but glad parts these are still available.

didn’t you have to make your own steering pivot bushes? #7 in photo. I remember you saying you had to make some stuff to tighten up your steering 

1F2357B6-6DE4-4596-AD58-6A1A750167F6.jpeg

On April 12, 2020 at 10:03 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I’ve used Novus on Jeep soft top windows. There are different ones depending on the polish needed. One removed the yellowing and light scratches, and another polished. Looks good!

@jeepwm69this what i got a few days ago...... As far as the deferent types these 3 are the only ones i could locate BEFORE i purchased my kit. 

@Goober Thanks tour post i finally have my kit, when ? I'll be able to get around to trying it, Well soon i hope.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Ok I’m changing the steering bushing and bearing right now. Pretty easy except i need the special bearing nut tool. What do you all use?

its like 35mm

4407AA6C-947E-471D-AEAE-051ABA7DC773.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Hi: What I have used to solve the problem -- is cut a piece of 1/4 flat bar to fit and weld a nut to it.  Hope this will help -- also square stock or tube steel will work if you can find the right size.

• Like 4

Thanks @Melatv i will go to the hardware store tomorrow. Looks like 1-inch bar stock. Thot i have a hitch nut that could fit.

super easy job even tho service manual says to pull swing arm 😂 glad i didn’t do that 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

7/8” x 3” bolt and a 7/8-9 castellated nut.

i had to take each flat about 150 strokes across a flat bas-tard file. It fits!! now to stake the threads.

E9C29641-06A6-495C-9A3D-F63445431558.jpeg

E7991A24-5633-403D-B270-0FC0EB461236.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 5