riverc

Jugline Fishing

Do any of you enjoy running juglines for catfish? I have always ran trot lines,so I wanted to change it up.I made 10 jugs with jumbo noodles and pvc pipe,to start will make another 10 when I get the hang of it.Ran some last Thursday only got one channel catfish about 3 lbs.Will go one day this week,this time will fish main lake and drift them across the flats,hope to do better.Seems like it would be fun if the bite is hot chasing them.

• Like 1

I never targeted catfish with jug lines before , have targeted gar fish ,  this year is a bit different as from what I keep hearing there are boo-cou catfish out in Lake Ponchartrain , talking with my crabber buddy who is working in the lake and he was saying he has been picking up 1/2 to 3/4 a box out the traps ,  of cats on a trip ----- what you using for bait ? 

I used live crawfish,next time out will use worms,hot dogs and raw shrimp.If that doesn't work will catch some perch use live and cut."

Are you having trouble with the bait gone and no catfish ?  Get some liver and a pair of stockings or pantyhose  , cut a strip of stocking , wrap the liver inside of it , tie the top with thread , you got a money bag of liver , hook the hook thru the bag 

Using perch for bait is something that over the years I have gotten mixed views if it is legal , I was told by one WLF agent that perch is listed in the creel limits , so it can't be used for bait 

• Like 2

No most crawfish were still alive when I picked up jugs,just don't think they were feeding.I  and lots of people catch and use perch for bait live and cut.Maybe you thinking of crappie.

50 minutes ago, riverc said:

No most crawfish were still alive when I picked up jugs,just don't think they were feeding. I  and lots of people catch and use perch for bait live and cut.Maybe you thinking of crappie.

I just done a quick look  at the fishing regs. , seen a couple of mentions of bream ,  bream is classified a game fish as it has a creel limit and  it says

Bream is a game fish and can not be use as bait for sport fishing 

Legal live bait for freshwater fishing crayfish , minnows and shrimp , ( Bream is a gamefish and can not be used for bait )  

There is a exception listed the only place in the State where bream (perch)  are legal bait is Toledo Bend   

Crappie are protected as well 

A trick I learned fishing for cats that suck the bait off the hook. thread the shrimp in the hook then take some cotton sewing thread and wrap around the shrimp 10-15 times. Keeps the bait in the hook. works on the lakes and rivers around here, should work on those Louisiana cats as well. I use frozen shrimp from the seafood section at Wally world.

• Like 2

i ran Clorox bottles, and other jugs, with a line about 24" long. we would throw about 17 to 20 out of the boat. fish with a pole for a while. then chase the jugs down. i made a pole with a big screw hook, on one the end, so you could snatch the jugs without stopping the boat. i used store bought shrimp, cut about dime size, night crawler, some times a bit of HOT' N SPICY fried pork skins, you gotta let them dry out a bit, bait was dipped in Papa john's garlic butter. papa john's garlic butter had a better flavor back then. fish dont like the new stuff. for some reason, i dont neither.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

i ran Clorox bottles, and other jugs, with a line about 24" long. we would throw about 17 to 20 out of the boat. fish with a pole for a while. then chase the jugs down. i made a pole with a big screw hook, on one the end, so you could snatch the jugs without stopping the boat. i used store bought shrimp, cut about dime size, night crawler, some times a bit of HOT' N SPICY fried pork skins, you gotta let them dry out a bit, bait was dipped in Papa john's garlic butter. papa john's garlic butter had a better flavor back then. fish dont like the new stuff. for some reason, i dont neither.

Well at least , if the fish are not biting you can eat the bait !!! ^^^^^ 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I just done a quick look  at the fishing regs. , seen a couple of mentions of bream ,  bream is classified a game fish as it has a creel limit and  it says

Bream is a game fish and can not be use as bait for sport fishing 

Legal live bait for freshwater fishing crayfish , minnows and shrimp , ( Bream is a gamefish and can not be used for bait )  

There is a exception listed the only place in the State where bream (perch)  are legal bait is Toledo Bend   

Crappie are protected as well 

Lol....Well I guess myself and others will be getting tickets when caught been doing it for many years in Louisiana and Kansas.

It is here to for certain times. 

April 1 through Sept. 30 fishing with jug lines prohibited on Fridays after noon until midnight on Sundays. Fishing with jug lines would also prohibited on Memorial Day, July 3-5, and Labor Day. On days open to jug fishing, each boat is limited to 10 jugs per day.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, Fishfiles said:

Well at least , if the fish are not biting you can eat the bait !!! ^^^^^ 

i have, an i did, only the pork skins. i need a lantern to cook the shrimp. 😀

i night fished. it was cooler, an less boat traffic. no skiers.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

My Dad showed me how to run a trot line. Caught a few catfish, lotsa carp and an alligator gar. It was my job to clean them. cleaning that darn gar was worse than trying to take off a wet sock.

4 minutes ago, Goober said:

My Dad showed me how to run a trot line. Caught a few catfish, lotsa carp and an alligator gar. It was my job to clean them. cleaning that darn gar was worse than trying to take off a wet sock.

Gar is good eating if prepared right , my grandfather loved to eat gar balls , sounds wild but let me tell you how you get gar balls , he use to tie the gar up to the clothes line T pole in the yard , and use a machette to fillet the skin off the meat , then cut the meat off the bones , then run it thru a hand crank meat grinder , grandma would mix a little mashed potato with green onions with the meat and make little meat balls , then cover them in fish fry and fry them in oil till golden brown , as soon as they come out the grease they went into a paper bag of seasonings , like salt , cayenne pepper , sugar , etc and shake the bag , man them were good , have not had any in a long time , oh , by the way don't eat the row ( eggs) from a gar fish they are toxic 

one thing gramps did when fishing for gar was a stainless steel wire hoop , he like piano strings , you made this circle hoop and attached the bait to the wire , when the gar ate the bait the hoop would close around his jar like a lasso on a cow , he didn't often get away  

• Thanks 1

We make a Brown Gravy (Roux) cook the Gar Balls n the gravy,add boiled eggs to it,serve over rice,with potato salad on the side with French bread.Talking about it has me wanting to go to my buddy and get some already pre made in balls.He is a commercial fisherman Bergeron's Seafood in Livonia La.

They also own ther own crawfish ponds sell both live and boiled.They also sell crabs,catfish,gou,coon's and rabbit's

We used to make Bass balls with White bass. chop up the bass form the balls with cracker or bread crumbs and a little egg, into the deep fryer, pretty ! good!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, riverc said:

We make a Brown Gravy (Roux) cook the Gar Balls n the gravy,add boiled eggs to it,serve over rice,with potato salad on the side with French bread.Talking about it has me wanting to go to my buddy and get some already pre made in balls.He is a commercial fisherman Bergeron's Seafood in Livonia La.

They also own ther own crawfish ponds sell both live and boiled.They also sell crabs,catfish,gou,coon's and rabbit's

Gapa'gou , commonly known as fresh water drum ? 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Gapa'gou , commonly known as fresh water drum ? 

Those gou are good eating in a tomato gravy baked in the oven.

5 hours ago, riverc said:

Those gou are good eating in a tomato gravy baked in the oven.

I am going to butcher the spelling , the red gravy fish dish is called cou'vee'on ---I meant to type gaspa'gou u[ above and spelled it gapa'gou