Battle625

Es issues.. please help

I'm working on a 99 Foreman 450. The electric shift only works when it wants to. I can shift with the emergency shifter and sometimes that will make the es buttons work a little. I have replaced the button assembly,shift motor, angle sensor and the entire wiring harness. The angle sensor that came with the shift motor probably isn't the best quality.  I've tired everything I know.  AKATV spoke highly of everyone here and referred me. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the forum , I am not a ES guy , someone will be along that knows the ES -----

I do have 450s with foot shift , so I read a lot of the 450ES problem threads , there are two other ways to beat the ES problems , one is a wiring harness

https://hondaesshiftkit.com/?fbclid=IwAR1hbBmCwLoAmw5K32vNv-HjLz0wWDaDHrzJe2gWHeSfBR1ayzZfMYunp7I

another way is to convert the ES to foot shift , I have never done it , it doesn't sound too hard to do , you would need to find a donor bike for parts , don't think you want to buy them parts needed new 

there is always another way , a for sale sign , LOL 

First of all welcome to the forum, why not make a post in the New Members section to introduce yourself?

Next the first question that gets asks before anything, are the parts you have replaced, which are many, the cheap China stuff you can buy off of Ebay or they OEM Honda parts?  There are countless threads on this forum and others that highlight the problem with using the cheap stuff.  If they are then the chances are good the problem is still there so you may be spinning your wheels.  Also best bet is to download the service manual from the header at the top of the forum, there is a great section on troubleshooting the ES system.  I would put the original parts back in and try the manual, it also has a great wiring diagram of the whole bike.

Other than that the best thing to check is adjusting the clutch, on the front of the engine, and cleaning and packing the shift motor gears and bearings with a good synthetic grease......

Second what bcsman said.  Are the new components Honda or aftermarket.  If the latter, try using Honda parts. 

Buying new will be $$$.  I'd look on ebay for used OEM. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Battle625 said:

I'm working on a 99 Foreman 450. The electric shift only works when it wants to. I can shift with the emergency shifter and sometimes that will make the es buttons work a little. I have replaced the button assembly,shift motor, angle sensor and the entire wiring harness. The angle sensor that came with the shift motor probably isn't the best quality.  I've tired everything I know.  AKATV spoke highly of everyone here and referred me. Thanks in advance!!

welcome. when you say you replaced the shift motor, and it came with an angle sensor ?, then this tells me, that shift motor can not be oem from honda ?, reason: honda shift motors ( that i know of ? ) do not come with anything but that shift motor, the angle sensor part is separate, which then tells me, you did not buy these oem parts from honda ??. you had the right idea replacing parts ?, but you went at it the wrong way by cheaping out, and buying china junk parts from amazon or ebay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

welcome. when you say you replaced the shift motor, and it came with an angle sensor ?, then this tells me, that shift motor can not be oem from honda ?, reason: honda shift motors ( that i know of ? ) do not come with anything but that shift motor, the angle sensor part is separate, which then tells me, you did not buy these oem parts from honda ??. you had the right idea replacing parts ?, but you went at it the wrong way by cheaping out, and buying china junk parts from amazon or ebay.

Not so fast!  He could have bought a used shift motor and angle sensor.......but given that he said "it isn't the best quality" I'm guessing you're right.

It sounds to me like you have a bad angle sensor. I suggest that you get a honda/OEM replacement angle sensor. Chances are that this will fix your problems.