Did you get the O ring out before you started trying to pull the drum off?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, You make it I break it said:

Its stuck

the o-ring is just semi-pressed in, around drum and axle, easy to pry out, its rubber !.

• Like 2

Let's see some pics of what you are working on and maybe I can dig up some more pics 

• Like 1

See number 25 here?

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1996/trx300fw-a-fourtrax-300-4x4/rear-brake

There's a rubber seal/oring that goes on the axle after you slide the drum on.  On a lot of these you can't even see it anymore without really looking because of dirt/grime, and it will work its way up in there.  You have to get a pick and get that out of there before you can get the drum off. 

Even once you get that out of there, the drum might be rusted to the axle splines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

See number 25 here?

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1996/trx300fw-a-fourtrax-300-4x4/rear-brake

There's a rubber seal/oring that goes on the axle after you slide the drum on.  On a lot of these you can't even see it anymore without really looking because of dirt/grime, and it will work its way up in there.  You have to get a pick and get that out of there before you can get the drum off. 

Even once you get that out of there, the drum might be rusted to the axle splines.

Oh it's a little more then that I just found out that the breaks are stuck on

So the cam pin (#7 in that schematic) is stuck?  You might have to soak/heat it and try working it back and forth.

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

So the cam pin (#7 in that schematic) is stuck?  You might have to soak/heat it and try working it back and forth.

The breaks are stuck on like when you pull the handle 

Edited by You make it I break it
Lack of Information

I think you need to look at how the brakes work so you can better understand it.

When you pull the brake lever, the cable from the lever pulls #9 in that schematic forward. 

#9 is attached to the splines on the end of shaft #7.  

When #7 rotates, it pushes out on the brake shoes, pushing them against the inside of the drum.  That's what makes you stop.

So let's start again.  Have you removed that o-ring?  Yes or no?  

If yes, then move to the next step

Remove the two wing nuts off of the brake cables.  Now pull back on #9 and see if it will move forward and backward.  If it does not, you'll have to spray some penetrating fluid around where that shaft goes into the backing plate (#5) and keep working at it till you can work it back and forth a bit. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I think you need to look at how the brakes work so you can better understand it.

When you pull the brake lever, the cable from the lever pulls #9 in that schematic forward. 

#9 is attached to the splines on the end of shaft #7.  

When #7 rotates, it pushes out on the brake shoes, pushing them against the inside of the drum.  That's what makes you stop.

So let's start again.  Have you removed that o-ring?  Yes or no?  

If yes, then move to the next step

Remove the two wing nuts off of the brake cables.  Now pull back on #9 and see if it will move forward and backward.  If it does not, you'll have to spray some penetrating fluid around where that shaft goes into the backing plate (#5) and keep working at it till you can work it back and forth a bit. 

if the brake cam is seized ?, it will take a hammer to move it back and forth !..lol.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, You make it I break it said:

20200407_150409.jpg

first thing: remove the brake cables from the brake cam arm !. second: take a mallet, hammer, whack the brake arm backwards a tad or two, try to center the brake cam/shoes to allow the brake shoes to clear the brake drum ?. if the shoes are spread out from the brake cam ?, they wont allow the drum to slide off the axle, so you must first make sure the shoes are compressed inside the drum before you go working on getting the drum off the axle !. and make sure you got the o-ring out from around the center of the brake drum/axle !!!.

• Like 2

Alright some pics , really don't look that rusted up  , one thing I see is the top brake cabe still might have some tension on the arm , loosen up the wing nut and make sure that brake lever is free and centered 

• Like 1

I have used a slide hammer with a single hook on the end , went into the hole in the drum and got them off like that -------------  also have got them off with a three leg puller ----------  then sometimes when they are really stuck bad , I have cut the drum , then washed the drum hub away with a oxy/acc torch , this takes a lot of practice to not nick the axle , you loose the hub but save the axle  ----you can see in the last pic how the drum hub made marks on the splines of the axle where it sat and rusted up 

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

• Like 1