s_c_collins3

2002 350ES shifting problem

Ok y’all. I know many have had es shifting issues before. I’ve done some searching and cant find this exact issue so I’m bringing it here at the encouragement of the guys in the Honda Rancher Club Facebook group.  

I have an 02 es350 2x4. It has a new shift motor, angle sensor, and speed sensor on it. Before I put the new items on it, it would shift maybe once or twice, get stuck in 3rd gar or so, and then stop trying all together. So I replaced those items and saw no improvement or change really. I cleaned up the gears for the shift motor and out new grease on them. Nothing. So I decided it was over my head and took it into the shop. Unfortunately our Honda dealer in town won’t work on anything older than 2008, so had to use the guys they send everyone to. These guys have had it for almost a month and have told me to come get it that they don’t know what to do. They have checked all the electrical. Have checked the clutches. All things are within manufacturer specs. They have it where it shifts from neutral into 1st and then downshifts back into neutral pretty much immediately. And that’s where we are. 

Any thoughts? I hope to have it back in the next day or two after they reassemble and I can get video. They told me to tag @retro that he is the guru. Help me my man! 

Hi, welcome to ATV Honda @s_c_collins3! You'll need some Mobil 1 synthetic grease, a tube of dielectric grease, some Ultra Black (or similar silicone gasket maker) and possibly a small piece of sandpaper and/or a scotchbrite pad and a few common hand tools. If you still have all of your original parts lets plan on taking those apart. Hollar when you get your Rancher back and we'll get started.

Welcome to the board.  Hopefully yall can get these things straight.

I haven't messed much with ES machines.  I converted my kid's 05 350 to footshift, but she said she'd rather have it as an ES so I'm going to put the gears back under the shift motor and take the shifter off and let her try it that way.

Tore the motor down this morning to put a rebuilt crank in it.  I cleaned out the bottom end, did a new timing chain and top end on it a while back, but the wrist pin had a little play in it so it wouldn't stop smoking, so I'm replacing the crank now, and will put those ES gears back in when I reassemble.

• Like 1

Hi @s_c_collins3, I have made a guide on how to prep and repair Honda ES systems. Follow these steps using your original parts and be sure to ask questions if you have any. Have fun!