Akunin

What pays the bills?

In short, what do you do career wise that pays your bill's? Not interested in how much you make just curious what everyone does for a living.

• Like 1

I work with Biohazard. ☣ 

I gotta say, it's not a glorious job to be sure but it pays the bill's. With all the chaos going on right now I'm not exactly in danger of being laid off and I feel for those who are suddenly without.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, retro said:

Retired

Are they hiring at your work !!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Retired now but 18 years in commercial printing, some HVAC, and 22 years in a paper mill. My wife is laid off from her retail job until this is over.

Edited by PROV
  • Like 4

Commercial Kitchen Fire suppression systems, paint booths, fire extinguishers and emergency lighting. Family business going on 16 years this year. At this point I’ve been doing it over 1/2 my lifetime full time.

• Like 4

Retired farmer / equipment mechanic ... now ... me, and my father  own over 2000 acres ...a few rental houses ... we rent our land for farming , and hunting .. trying to keep farming alive around here ... 

• Like 6

Also retired, not hiring at my retirement area...lol

• Like 4

Industrial Electrician.  I build new and repair CNC machines now.  Have done commercial and some side work as residential electrician in the past.

• Like 3

Appliance repair technician. Family business. Been full time there for 15 years. We are closing permanently after this virus situation. Going to work in the hvac field full time. Job is lined up.

• Like 5

Heavy fleet mechanic. Had almost 10 years at a Chevy dealership before it closed.  Opened my own shop at my house up until I started my current job where I have been for 6 years in just a few days.  

• Like 4

retired, when i'm not on my full time job on here, helping members fix their atvs !..lol.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

shade ! has the job security going on!! lol 

lol, as long as owners keep old school honda's ?, i'll always have a job on here !..lol.

• Like 3

commercial construction for 44 years, retired for two. 

• Like 5

Pipefitter currently working for CNOOC (Chinese National Offshore Oil Company) at the Long Lake SAGD (Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage) Facility in Northern Alberta. 

I also have my Plumbing  ticket. 

• Like 3

I see why this board has someone to fix everything now.

I work for a university on the administrative side of a regional campus.  Main campus is in the Little Rock, and there are regional campuses scattered all over the state. 

My main job is managing the budget, although I've had to take on local HR duties, and recently I was more or less promoted to "Administrative Director" which is who is running the other sites as the old guard Directors retire.  My Director isn't retiring, and won't be anytime soon, so I have the responsibility but not the pay.   Hopefully my official title will change soon.  If it doesn't I'm going to be looking.

My dad ran a bank, and told me to NOT go into banking.  He said with my interests I should look at gunsmithing or perhaps auto repair, and go to trade school.  I didn't listen.  After all, the money is in finance, right?🤪

So instead I got my degree in Finance, and am making probably 1/2 what anyone in the trades is making around here, and am chained to a desk every day.  The bright side of it is I have good benefits and my hours aren't bad, so lots of time to spend with the family.

It's amazing how much smarter my Dad gets as I get older......

• Like 5

Our first payment of $600/week from Feds to augment unemployment was deposited today. They didn't waste any time.

• Like 3

Took, my machinist in college,  but had to leave that and go back pipelining, did high rise construction with the labourers union after that, now I just tinker on the farm.

• Like 5