Akunin

What pays the bills?

IT guy..been doing something computer programming since 1977. Worked my way up through management through the years to a global director with 14 operations across 9 countries at one point..lotta travel..not so glamorous.  But a privilege to meet folks from all over.

also always been a musician on the side.  Clubs, wedding bands, etc since I was 15.

Was fortunate to get a few national act sideman gigs over the years.

That translated into an unexpected business that some national level production folks asked me to consider.

the next 2 decades I owned/operated a pro concert "backline"  biz... in the music concert biz, the drums, keyboards, guitar amps etc are called "backline"  so touring acts that aren't bringing their own gear rent from us. 

Had a warehouse full of all the gear..heaven for a gear head like me.

long hours, hard work , and crew of rough necks that take a bit of fatherly love to keep them straight. But very rewarding and got to work with pretty much every act I grew up listening to.

4 years ago, a larger national company called and 8 months later they handed me a check for my biz and backed the truck up to my warehouse.

I am blessed that a year after that, Covid hit and the world shut down.  Talk about timing!

So there I was, age 60, and "semi-retired"  with just my day job in IT to keep me busy 5 days a week.

So when my church called and asked me to step into the role as their worship band director and audio lead....well...the wife knew, sooner or later, I'd find something else to fill this work-a-holic lifestyle.

So, while I no longer play guitar on national stages, or club gigs, I am on deck weekly getting at least that much play time in and that pays nice extra money as well.

I still get to play and I get to enjoy hands on the mix consoles etc.

I don't know how long either of these jobs will last.. I just turned 66 and I'd like to continue to work for another 2-3 years at my day job..it's good money and certainly not physically challenging.

The church gig... I woulda thought I was already too old to be that guy, but our demographic still includes plenty my age, and while they see me as an "old rocker" the kids enjoy our music platform too.  In fact, my son is our primary drummer, so good to be playing with him as well. He did a lot of stages with me through the years.

so, if they want me, I'll continue there for a couple more years.

but at some point, I guess i need to start acting my age (grin)

When I sold the pro backline concert biz, I did keep the private events segment...so, think wedding or corporate event that needs to bring in a semi-pro live band. I can provide sound gear to cover a 500 seat ballroom at hotels, and we do a fair amount of wedding events...from small outdoor ceremony mics, keyboards, etc to full out bands

so I still have that rig (48 channel digital), cargo van and trailer to haul it all..and I still have drum kit, bass/guitar amps, several keyboards , just not the huge inventory of every toy that the pros demand.

As the covid market comes back to life, I'll likely sell that rig and call it a day.  What used to be $30-$50k there has been more like $15k this past two years.

And with the church paying me what I used to gross with the PA rig..yeah..easier on the body to just walk into church, plug in , turn their rigs on and go for a couple hours.

I'm ok that it's about retirement time..it's been a heckuva ride.  Good memories, broken/worn out body, but glad I ran that hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chief mate on a 300' offshore support vessel for the oil industry in the Gulf of Mexico.. Been out here at sea for 12 years doing 4 weeks on/4 off.

*Currently posting from offshore via ship satellite.

PXL_20201117_145358929.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SailRedemption said:

Chief mate on a 300' offshore support vessel for the oil industry in the Gulf of Mexico.. Been out here at sea for 12 years doing 4 weeks on/4 off.

*Currently posting from offshore via ship satellite.

PXL_20201117_145358929.jpg

For 4 years I was a crane inspector/ mechanic for Offshore Crane and Equipment Co ,  the Unit Mariner crane dealer ,we built , installed , repaired and certified cranes , work that  till about 1991 when Chevron started using the boats more for crew change I quite , the McCall boats were the ones Chevron was using in the fields I worked , went to about every field from Matagorda to Mobile Bay , I did not like riding the boats , but did like riding in the bridge on a calm day  , one boat I remember , which I think was named the Arron McCall , 155 ft , 6 engines that they ran on JP5 ( which I think is helicopter fuel / kerosene ) , it would come out the water with a black cloud , bet they can't blow black smoke like that these day , it would do about 35 knots ,  the Captain had a pipe cut with a slot and could slide it over the 6 throttle handles and link them  and fuel up all 6 engines in sync , that boat would hop up on top the water and roll , I was reading a magazine at the hydraulic store  and seen that boat was moved to  Saudi Arabia   --- I came real close to going to Nigeria and work for Chevron , glad I didn't , long story 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1