Rubicon07

2007 Rubicon Major Issues

Hey guys, joined this page after looking on Honda Foreman Forum. Saw the user too deep moved over here and was really hoping he could help me diagnose this atv, along with the rest of the members. 

This is for a 2007 TRX500FA Rubicon
Problem:
* Runs but is stuck in Limp Mode
* Currently flashes on long blink followed by 13 short blinks continuously (don't believe code due to checking mode select switch per manual)
* Unable to Clear Codes per procedure.
* Unable to Complete Initialization Procedure
* Never shows 1,2,3,4,5 N or D for Gear Indication 
* Has NO Speed Indication

Things Done:
* TPS replaced, set correctly with good continuity at ECM and correct voltage at sensor
* Angle Sensor replaced, set correctly with good continuity at ECM and correct voltage at sensor
* ESP Switch Switches have good continuity for each switch at ECM
* Mode Select Switch had good continuity in all positions at ECM
* Gear position switch has good continuity to ground at ECM
* Good continuity on all lines from front and rear VSS at ECM
* Proper voltage to ECM
* Control Motor cycles during Initialization Process
* Able to rotate motor shaft joint and move ball nut
* Meter line inspection shows good continuity on all lines
* No voltage at either VSS
* Meter line short circuit inspection shows varying continuity (Not consistently short or open) on all 5 lines
* All results are same with a spare ECM from a 2006 Rubicon

Questions:
* Not sure if this is a faulty Combination Meter or ECM due to varying continuity.  Really don't want to replace both if not necessary.  If a faulty combination meter, it does not explain the lack of voltage at the VSS.  If a faulty ECM it does not explain the lack of speed indication or does it?

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Wow, talk about doing your homework before asking a question....

I don't know that I can help you with this.  I have a couple of that generation Rubicons but one works fine and the other I haven't touched yet to troubleshoot.

@Melatv is pretty good on the electronics on these things.  So is @retro, and of course @toodeep.

I'll be following to see what you find.  Guessing you have a good strong battery with good clean connections? 

I would start with the no voltage to the speed sensors. The ECM needs the speed readings to operate the transmission. I would disconnect the meter and test again to rule out a short in the meter.

I have used all OEM Honda parts 

Battery is good, clean connections. 

Disconnected both connectors for Combination Meter.
With switch ON checked voltage at Rear VSS Yellow connector on harness side on Black/Red and Green/Yellow wires and had no voltage.  Same result on both ECMs.
Checked voltage at VSS connection harness side on Black/Red and Pink/Green got a -7.4 volts (actually was initially -8.5 volts and later was -7.4 volts).  Checked battery and it was still fully charged at over 12.6 volts.  Same result with both ECMs.
Reconnected Combination Meter and got same voltage reading between Black/Red and Pink/Green.
Checked Pink/Green to ground from both 21 Pin Gray connector and Yellow VSS connector.  Found no short to ground. 
Also had good continuity on Pink Green from Yellow VSS connector to 21 Pin Gray ECM connector.

Hi: From what I see in the FSM the rear speed sensor has a bl/O -- G/Y -- P/G at the sensor connector --- You should read near 12 vdc between the Bl/O (+) and P/G (-) also check it to ground.

The front speed sensor has a Bl/O -- G/Y -- P/W at the sensor connector -- You should read near 12 vdc between the Bl/O (+) and P/W (-) also check it to ground.

At Yellow Connector for Front VSS got 0 volts Bl/O to G/Y and Bl/O to Ground.  

Got negative 7.4 volts Bl/O to P/G...
At Black Connector for Rear VSS got exact same as Front VSS except of course P/W instead of P/G.

Have you got your meter leads plugged into meter the right way?? 

As crazy as it sounds, yes they are plugged in correctly...The other part is that I have checked this multiple time with the same results, including two different ECMS- and also with the screen connected or disconnected. I realize this may not make much sense (how in the world is he getting this reading, maybe this guy can't use a multimeter) but I'm 100% positive of the reading, and I am also at a loss, no idea where to go from here.

Only other thing -- is the battery connected up right

22 hours ago, Rubicon07 said:

does anybody have any other ideas?

A For Sale sign 

Oh man thats rough..... HAHAHA

Not laughing at your problem, want to help you get it figured out

I was laughing, as thats exactly what my buddy would say to me....

Edited by AKATV

5 minutes ago, Rubicon07 said:

Great input. Thanks.

You could always try VooDoo , get a chicken , bottle of rum and a cigar , cook and eat the chicken , drink the rum , light up the cigar , hope for the best  and if that do get it , at least you would feel better about it 

Wiring Harness 

44 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

You could always try VooDoo , get a chicken , bottle of rum and a cigar , cook and eat the chicken , drink the rum , light up the cigar , hope for the best  and if that do get it , at least you would feel better about it 

Wiring Harness 

ECM has correct voltage. Good continuity from speed sensor plug to ecm plug. I don't understand why it would be wiring harness issue if it reads good...

Check the starter solenoid -- stud going to the starter motor should only have the one large cable on it -- nothing else.