CasperA

Trx420 ES. Not shifting

Hi everyone. I've got a 2013 420 Rancher FA that is sometimes shifting and sometimes not. Checked all the solenoids, sensors, codes according to the workshop manual. Cleaned the  gearshift reduction gears, cleaned the es shifter and still it get stuck with a neutral light on and gearshift indicator showing this - (not flashing) Manual shift works fine. Honda workshop said they had two doing the same. They replaced valve bodies on both and the problem was fixed. Does somebody have any experience with this? 

Did you by chance try shifting it manually when the shift motor reduction gears was removed? They have a stopper bolt that can break internally and the shifter won't return to its neutral position (shift lever returns on its own/springs back) and cause issues. With the reduction gears in it there is too much resistance to do a true test on that.

If the mechanical side checks out is it indicating reverse and drive on the lights when it's messing up?

EDIT: To clarify this is the automatic (FA) and not the electric shift (FE) correct?

51 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Did you by chance try shifting it manually when the shift motor reduction gears was removed? They have a stopper bolt that can break internally and the shifter won't return to its neutral position (shift lever returns on its own/springs back) and cause issues. With the reduction gears in it there is too much resistance to do a true test on that.

If the mechanical side checks out is it indicating reverse and drive on the lights when it's messing up?

EDIT: To clarify this is the automatic (FA) and not the electric shift (FE) correct?

TX for the reply. It's an automatic with esp. I worked on it today again. If you press the shift button it goes into Drive but the moment you press the throttle it drops the gear and the neutral light comes on BUT the gearshift indicator doesn't go back to N it just displays (-) and it's not blinking. If I switch it to ESP and press the gearshift button it engages 1 gear and will shift through second to third but will not shift to 4 and 5. If the neutral light is on and the gear indicator displays N it will start. If it displays only a (-)  it won't start as soon as I give a slight shift with the manualshift tool the shift motor will shift it properly into neutral. If the gearshift indicator displays N and neutral light is on it'll fire up immediately. I tested the angle sensor and it measured 3.84 K ohm the spec is 2-3 k ohm. Could that be the cause? I bought the bike for about 500 dollars from a farmer here in the South Africa. 20000ks on the clock. But it had a hard life. 

I would remove the shift motor and gears and shift it manually to check that stop bolt. If you shift it, let go of the tool and it returns by itself it's good. If it doesn't it broke and the shift return spring isn't doing it's job.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toodeep said:

I would remove the shift motor and gears and shift it manually to check that stop bolt. If you shift it, let go of the tool and it returns by itself it's good. If it doesn't it broke and the shift return spring isn't doing it's job.

I'll do it today.