sublime68charger

96 300 just showed up in my yard

Buddy of mine has had this 300 for 4-5 years I think.  He got it from a buddy of his who got it from Texas at a ATV park where he know the owner I think is the story.  The ATV was just left at the ATV Park and nobody ever claimed it.  Any way that's the back story of the ATV

from the guy I got it from,  "Buddy got it from a relative in Texas."

its a nothin special that is for sure but the price is right.  any way He wanted to borrow my trailer today to take his zero turn mower into get serviced for the summer mowing season and he asked if I wanted this 300,  I said what is the price and he said its a great deal it'll be on the trailer when I return the trailer to your house.  

Know Issues with the 300 is the Battery drains down if left hooked up to the ATV.  the steering is loose looks like there a bushing missing from the top of the steering stem?

pic of the 300

IMG_0475.JPG

Edited by sublime68charger
ATV back tory clarification.
  • Like 2

missing the foot brake cable but looks like new one is in plastic on the rack.

she's not total trashed out and has good Super Swamper Vampire tires! in good shape.

front and back brakes levers booth work and hold the ATV from what I can tell.

Plans/Goals is to get it running replace that upper steering stem bushing try and track down the Battery Draw and fix that.

also the key switch ignition is long gone and just a toggle switch now.

probably put a key switch back in as well

so I needed to get it pulled down to my shop and the kids was all inside the house and its snowing and windy,  from where it was in the yard I had a small hill to go down and if I just pulled it with a chain the atv would run away on me and either run into the shop or the kids play yard booth of which are not ideal.  Its been on my list to make a ATV tow bar but never got one done.

so enter in a 32" square tubing and then I had a side chain from a tire chain just laying around put snap hook on 1 end of chain put chain threw square tubing wrap excess chain around front bumper of the 300 bungee cord handle bars ends to the rear rack to keep the wheels straight and away I go to my work shop!!!

not pretty but I was able to make the trip and didn't run into any buildings.

daughter did show up 1/2 way threw the journey so I let her pilot the 300 the rest of the trip to the shop.

IMG_0476.JPG

pulled the seat off and the battery is unhooked from the ATV right now so i put on my trickle charger and it just flashes red which if I remember correct means the battery wont take a charge.  

Great I have a $10 Craigs list battery charger that I dont think actually works.  Its on my to due list to test out my Battery charger some day.

but for today I keep a old 12V truck battery around as my jump pack for when I gotta start something and I know its up to charge cause I just used it to run a 12V chains saw sharpener and had the trickle charger on it to top it off after that use.  so Hook the car battery up the the ATV battery via the jumper cables and then put the trickle charger on the car battery to try and breath life into said ATV battery.

that works as the trickle charger goes to steady red meaning its charging.  and after 20 min its at green meaning fully charged.  so I pull the jumper cables from the car battery to the ATV battery and put trickle charger on ATV Battery and now trickle charger is stead red on ATV battery meaning its charging.

IMG_0478.JPG

• Like 1

some now I'm at the point of just posting all this and having a beer and hoping in the morning the ATV battery is at Green and Ill hook it up and see if the ATV will fire over or not.  

Ill dump some gas in it and make sure the oil looks half way decent before cranking on it.

If I get it to run I'll go for a short drive to see if it shifts fine and I don't have any strange noise or stuff like that.

then back into the shop and probably start the tear down to get to that front steering stem bushing.  Looks like front rack and fenders will need to come off to get to that.

that is the plan.

comments or concerns are welcome and advice will be headed!

thanks

Sublime

RED LIGHT FLASHING usually  indicates the battery has less than 3 volts or there's not a good connection from the charger to the battery ... and that steering stem rubber (can't make the pic out too good) is shot ... are you sure this bike was just left there by the owner ?? .. that's a red flag to me .... I'd check and see if the vin is still on the front end ... 

Edited by _Wilson_™

thats the story he told me when he got it and that was over 5 years ago and his buddy did some work on it before he got from him.

He's a Middle School Teacher and always been a strait shooter with me,   Have know him for over 20 years now.  I may be off on my back story of the quad somewhat but I don't think so.  When School gets back in session I'll stop by and ask him about the ATV.  I work at the same District as he does.

Trickle charger is now on steady red on just the ATV battery so hoping that I can bring it back to life.

it more like theres no rubber there on the steering stem!

also did the 300 have the 4x4 Fourtrax sticker on the front fenders under the racks?  

as the front fenders dosn't line up with the gas tank very good.

I

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

• Like 2

red is charging (thumbs up) .... the vin is located here ( 1st pic) credit goes to goober ... as you can see he's blacked some of his out for the pic (second pic ) is the sticker ... but you can kind of make out the vin number ... and yes ... that bushing is gone! ... there simple to put in... there split on one side ... just make sure to add grease to the inner side (between the bushing, and steering shaft) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

thanks Wilson will due when I get to that point and I'll pull the vin from the machine.

also I would like to get the front fenders to line up better? 

they have been cut for the rack supports to fit and I wonder if the front fenders are even for this year 300

I know more once I get the fenders off but want to try and start the machine first and drive it around just to know there's not a bigger rabbit hole awaiting me on something else.

I get to working on removing the front fenders and such I'd like to put the ATV up on Ramps to make it easier to work on.  My old bones just don't flex like they use to!

some pics of the font fender and gas tank seem not very pretty at all

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

• Like 2

I am headed to the house for tonight wont be any more Pics but I'll check in on this thread with My Ipad in a bit.

thanks for all the replays and stay safe where ever you are out there tonight!

after a night on the trickle charger the battery is at 11.38Volts according to my Multi meter this morning.

I wish I would have put the meter on last night to know what it was at when I put the charger on it to have a reference point but oh well.

I'll check it at noon and find out if it has made any progress by then.

It’s a 4WD? Because that fender looks like it came off an early 2WD. No fender guards and no drill holes for fender guards? The body gaps between the 2WD and 4WD front fender and fuel tanks don’t mate well. You might confirm this if you look at parts diagrams —they might be different numbers.

that ignition switch might be the current draw problem. Two circuit wires and two ground wires on this switch—intended to be separate circuits—are sometimes wound together.

nice project but yeah like Jay says verify that VIN before you start buying parts because a 93 CDI will not work on a 95 model 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

The marks on the fenders are a little odd—maybe the PO bought some random stickers. To my knowledge the following looks out of place:
4WD models had large 4x4 stickers on the side of the rear fenders.

this one has 4x4 in the middle of the top of the front fender—usually you see a small 4x4 sticker on the cowl section of the fender.

Those knobby fender guards weren’t offered until 96?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goober said:

It’s a 4WD? Because that fender looks like it came off an early 2WD. The body gaps between the 2WD and 4WD front fender and fuel tanks don’t mate well. You might confirm this if you look at parts diagrams —they might be different numbers.

that ignition switch might be the current draw problem. Two circuit wires and two ground wires on this switch—intended to be separate circuits—are sometimes wound together.

nice project but yeah like Jay says verify that VIN before you start buying parts because a 93 CDI will not work on a 95 model 

it is a 4wd model and the front fender has the 4x4 sticker on it.  Heck could it be it has a 2wd fuel tank on it?  I don't know enough about the 300 difference in year to year and 2wd to 4wd. I was looking at the front push bar this morning and there is a bolt missing from the push bar to the frame and the push bar is moved back some.

thanks for the idea about the Ignition Switch that very well might be the problem.

I had a 1993 300 4x4 for a couple of years back in the late 90's and it was a nice little machine it got sold and money put towards my 450ES Foreman.

Gobber yep the rear has the fender flairs but the front dosn't at all.

so yes I'm thinking this machine might be a hodge podge of several machine's put together to make 1 unit.

Yeah i see you have the prop shaft for 4x4 here’s the fenders and guards as i think they were in 95

If there’s rust in the tank you can remove that petcock and cap—and use a pound of BBs and a couple gallons of cleaning vinegar to dissolve the rust. I ran mine in my cement mixer for three hours. Just dont let vinegar sit on the paint and rinse it with a high pH solution 

if you want to know the doos and don’ts on this LMK.

95006116-0E83-45F5-A53A-4216E5473AB0.jpeg

No fender guards and no drill holes for fender guards?

thats one thing that cought my eye ^^

Those knobby fender guards weren’t offered until 96?

correct ^^^ and the rear fender guards don't match ether .. they should be the smooth (95 or pre) same with the trunk lid. 

are you sure this is a 95 model ? 

Okay so it a 1996 I had it wrong I'm gonna blame the bifocal glass they still get me sometimes and I've had them 6 months!

can a mod change my title? Or can I due that?

never mind got the title changed so I'm thinking the 96 Front Fenders would probably fit on this better than those that I have?

just another thing to add to the shopping list.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

The ATV Battery is still only at 11.35 volts according to my meter.

will let that go over night and see what it is at in the morning.

I did have a few minutes and put the jumper cables onto the ATV terminals and spun the motor over with the start it would go for a bit and then kick out.  but then would go again and kick out.  pulled the air cover off and that was pretty full of Mouse nest stuff it looked liked.  The air filter is pretty dirty gonna take that off and spray some starting fluid and find out if I get it to run at all.

I did fill the tank up 1/2 with gas as well and glad that hasn't leaked out all over the shop floor!

so that's where I'm at didn't have much time to work with it. 

Took the kids and wood trailers and went and cut up some fence line tree branches 1 mile down the road for my uncles corn field.  Kids got to pull branches threw the corn stubble and the stubble is slippery its hard to get traction to pull branches. has to double up on some pulls to get them to the top of the hill and then down hill to the ditch line where we cut of the brush and put the rest in the trailers to haul home.

My back say's that I'm not a young guy to be running chainsaw all afternoon like that!

• Like 1

Great to know it’s a 96

now check that carb should be a VE91D?

just to make sure cuz aftermarket carbs are a pain to rebuild 

You could pull that front fender and take a look at the wires. Then take a perk at the 2 fuzes in the rear—mice love to chew those up and lotsa folks don’t like to fix it right

had just a few minutes this morning pulled off the air cleaner and sprayed some starting fluid I had it running for about 10 seconds then remembered hadn't checked oil yet.

so I shut it down and checked oil yep it's got some oil in it.

I have rain incoming for all day tomorrow and will hopefully get to work on this then,

but since its nice outside right now I have outdoor work to get done before the rain gets here.

Goober where on the carb am I looking for the VE91D at?

thanks will check out the rear fuse's as well.

was just glad to here it running if even for only 10 seconds

Here’s a pic of where to look:

VE91C

Added a cross-reference topic

60561AE7-2627-4F68-93FD-C949095DDDA5.jpeg

61F7DC30-4069-45F3-99BA-C900F0F8E88A.jpeg

1B6E6B02-9AE5-44F7-A142-C4E640B121F7.jpeg

Edited by Goober
Added pic of carb
  • Thanks 2

So I got it to run and seemed fine took it out of the shop for a quick spin and it ran for about 5 minutes and then died,  then didn't want to even crank over.

did shift fine and no clunking noise when moving or anything like that.  

Brakes are booth weak front and back but working.

grrrrr.   pulled back into the shop and up on the ramps it goes! for a somewhat teardown.  

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG