sublime68charger

96 300 just showed up in my yard

A reminder well maybe we didn’t cover this here

don’t run it too long with a bad battery you could blow the reg/rec and or stator. That battery you’re using—it sound like you should give up on it.

• Like 4

after I got it running with the big car battery hooked up to the wires,  I shut it off hooked up the atv battery and it had enough to start the atv on its own and went for my little ride till it died and then didnt want to turn over on either the atv or the big car battery,  at that point it was starting to rain so it got dragged back to the shop pushed inside and put up on the ramps.

found out also the choke is stuck in the choke position. as I set it out to choke when trying to get it started and then it would not return.  that probably not doing me any favors either. 

just making a list of all that I'll need to get sorted out on this thing.

yep I have a feeling a new battery is in the works for this ATV.  or I'll buy a new one for one of my Winter Plowing quad's that I need them to start when i want them to start and give this one the battery from that one.

got the vin from the machine,

any body have any good website that they use to run the vin threw and stuff like that?

my quick search came back with,

https://www.faxvin.com/

any body else got any that they use?

its $8.95  for the report from them.

also the battery been unhooked since yesterday and is down to 9.25 volts so i'm a thinking that the battery is toast.

I think the place to start with would be the Texas State Troopers and the Sheriff Department in the county that 300  was  " found " in . But wonder if that is a good idea for you to do at this point  , they will most likely ask why did you take it ( the other guy did it ain't going to get it  ) -------- over here Possession of Stolen Property is something they give out more than Theft of Property , cause it  is real easy to prove possession , but would guess if there is no police record of it of it being stolen , it isn't stolen , but who knows , the guy could be in the  grave ,  jail or Iraqi  ----around here I think the way it works is ,if it was taken in to storage by a licensed tow service on a police report of being abandoned and after it was not picked up in so many months  , they can apply for a title  ------   I know I would have left it be  .....

• Like 2

If I can get it all fixed up,  I would like to use it for plowing snow In town and Ill need a wisconsin DNR Department of Natural Resources Sticker to run on the roads in town and not be hassled by the police.  Need current Reg sticker and Flashing Yellow Light and ATV can go 2.5 miles on City road's for the purpose of snow removal.  I currently use a 02 Honda Rancher 350ES but sometimes the ES gives me problems and the Wife likes that Quad for the ES shifting when we go riding around the trails I have at home.  Having the Rancher on Plow duty takes away from the winter riding times from her.  Its only 7 miles away in town but if we have a free afternoon in January and the temp is warm enough its to go for a ride its 1 hour of hassle to go get the ATV time I fish trailer out of snow bank hook it up go to town load up ATV and return home drop plow etc.... already have to drop plow from my atv for the trail ride.  I don't mind dropping 1 plow to go for a ride and having to hook back up when I need it.  But having to due 2 gets to be a bit much.  At home the ATV is in a nice warm shop and hookup isn't a big deal.  In town if I drop plow there its cold unheated cement or I bring it back home and drop in the shop at home and hook back up and then take to town so it's there ready to go.

I'll talk to the guy I got it from and find out more of the backstory if I can.  I thinking it was left abandoned at some point.  if I have the story correct.

but being stolen and abandoned is different than being just abandoned.  

may pay the $9 for the report and find out what that say's.

thanks for all your thoughts I should have just kept the backstory part to myself.

I may have the whole story backwards or side ways as well. so who know's.

my saga will continue I guess.

plus one , fish ..  i would have left it ..now.... i don't know the law .. but as it goes possession is 9/10 of the law .AND BESIDES the law .. think about the owners loss. 

let me lay out like this .... if i had an item i HAD to leave for some reason... i still would like the respect of knowing i could get  my property back ... besides that ... i would not be comfortable not knowing the complete back history.... the manager of the park had a responsibility of contacting the original owner ... and give him notice to remove it ... or have it removed ... where it would become property of the county / state .. that's how it is here with public property / land 

Buddy of mine has had this 300 for 4-5 years I think.  He got it from a buddy of his who got it from Texas at a ATV park where he know the owner I think is the story.  The ATV was just left at the ATV Park and nobody ever claimed it.

my question is ... why did bike swap so many hands ... and be stored for 4-5 years ?  plus the fact this has been posted online ... where any one and there mother can veiw it .... kind of sounds like you had dealings with a few with no morals what so ever. especially the director of the Texas mud park .

• Like 1

i'm gonna toss in my .02's worth, and you can take it for what its worth. do not do anything to it, do your home work, research who the owners are/were ?, and try to find out who it belongs to ?, if this means going to your local police station with it, and have them check/run the vin number ?, then by all means...DO THIS !. you dont want to be holding a piece of property that belongs to some one that has had their atv stolen !!!. if your local police station finds out its been reported stolen ?, then by all means..HAND IT OVER TO THEM WITHOUT ANY QUESTIONS !!!. give the names of who you got it from, how you got it, and walk away !. do as you wish ?, but in my eyes..it does not belong to you legally...yet ?!.

• Like 2

this from the Guy I got it from,  so its a free and clear machine,  sorry for all the confusion about this, that's what you get for trying to remember a 10 min conversation from 4 years ago about things. His words below.

"Never got around to trying to register it, but I don't think there would be a problem. Buddy got it from a relative in Texas. 

Ran for 4 minutes? I wonder if flipping the fuel petcock the other direction would do it. Not sure. Do I remember having trouble with that? Seems to me I ran it more one direction rather than the other. Wish I could remember which way. (2 years ago)
I did think it would run. I should look. Might have another air filter in the garage. Will check. If I do, I will send it with Shele."
  • Like 1

That’s awesome! mebbe he can give you a bill of sale—abandoned property?

You might need a bill of sale to register it.

sitting that long the petcock might be bad.

shine a light into the fuel tank and see if the tank screen is rusted; there’s also a small screen in the bottom of the petcock.

If you try to pull thr petcock remember It might have a separate flange. If so use a wrench to hold the tank fitting steady while you loosen the petcock flange.

so i have contined on my tear down and am working on the choke cable as it dosn't return to the non choke setting at all.

2 pics of the choke in the off position,  I have the handle bar rotated upside down to make it easy to see what is going on with the choke lever.

pulled the choke line out from the carb and its just sitting up on the frame rail. for the pics

pic 1 is the lever end pic 2 is the end for the carb.

Choke Off lever.JPG

Choke Off pulled out.JPG

so then I put the choke lever in the choke postion for when you want to start the ATV and get this following

Pic 1 is the lever end, Pic 2 is the carb end all seems to be fine and dandy yet.

Choke In Lever.JPG

Choke In.JPG

now is where I run into problems is when I try and return the choke to the off postion it wont return the line binds up and crimps at the lever end,

the cable is free as I can pull it back by hand with a little effort but the spring on the carb end of this just dosn't have the power to pull the choke lever back. 

is this I need a new choke cable?  like I said I can pull it back by hand and it moves but I have no reference point to how free are these cables suppose to be?  or is there an adjustment that I can make that will give the spring some more springing power to pull the choke lever back to the no choke condition that you want when the engine is running?

I hope this all makes sense and I used the correct terms.

I'm far from a good engine mechanic I'm a learning as I go on these.

I thinking I'll just get a new choke cable and see how that goes for me on this.

thanks for viewing and your thoughts on this.

pic 1 is the lever end where it is crimped and not pulled back straight,  

pic 2 is the choke end where the spring has not pulled back the cable from the lever end at all

sublime

Choke Lever off crimped.JPG

Choke off end not returning.JPG

Edited by sublime68charger

I always lube my choke cable with 3 in One oil. If I can’t get it free with that I replace it

i see one problem already ! ( never can figure out how ppl miss it ? )..lol. there is suppose to be a metal clip on the switch housing, clips over the end of housing, around the grooves in the cable, # 36, https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1996/trx300fw-a-fourtrax-300-4x4/handle-switch-cables . it keeps the cable from moving, and lets the inner part slide.

• Like 1

Tonight had some shop time and worked on trying to remove a broken bolt,

had ad done the pb blaster spraying it and no luck for the last week tried to weld on a nut on the stub of broken bolt still no luck, my welding is not the best,.  Used knee pad to try and protect electric fittings below where welding.

Final just drilled it out with some left handed drill bits I have.

gonna have to put a nut on the backside but the broken bolt is no more!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by sublime68charger

Sorry not the best pics, but on top one you can look for vise grip holding nut over broken bolt in the light.

bottom has ground flush and drilled hole.

some days it's the small victory's!

now I'm on to the key switch,

looking at the wires on the ATV I have 1 red 1 black and then 2 that are white or faded pink that was not hooked up to anything.  There was just a toggle switch for the key.  the red and black was on the toggle switch.

IMG_0520.JPG

so then for the key switch I have a 1 Red, 1 Black, 1 Red/Black Stripe, and 1 Orange.

just wondering if anybody can tell me what should be hooked to what or point me in the direction of a wiring schematic?

IMG_0521.JPG

• Confused 1

The diagram in my copy of the FSM is not very good but hopefully you can read enough of it to get the job done.

ign-switch.png

95-97-wiring.png

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sublime68charger said:

so then for the key switch I have a 1 Red, 1 Black, 1 Red/Black Stripe, and 1 Orange.

just wondering if anybody can tell me what should be hooked to what or point me in the direction of a wiring schematic?

IMG_0521.JPG

that is not a oem key switch, can't help ya with that china junk. an oem switch would be solid red to solid red, solid black to solid black. solid pink to solid pink, then pink wire with white stripe to pink wire with white stripe.

thank you retro I think I can make it work with what you posted.

shadetree I'm gonna need to due better when ordering parts off of ebay and they often don't mesh up and be what I was thinking they should be!

Lesson learned!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sublime68charger said:

thank you retro I think I can make it work with what you posted.

shadetree I'm gonna need to due better when ordering parts off of ebay and they often don't mesh up and be what I was thinking they should be!

Lesson learned!

yeah, don't believe everything those dummies post on there that claim to be oem !!!!..lol. when you do this for 29 yrs ?, YOU KNOW YOUR PARTS !!!. ebay is full of scammers left and right !!!!.