sublime68charger

96 300 just showed up in my yard

you better worry about the wire gauge on that switch !!!!, its so small , it may not carry the correct voltage ?..then it will catch fire !!!.

switch not going to work it will only connect 2 wires when in the on position!  the other 2 are then open and then in the off position the 2 wire are connected not really gonna Help me get what I need.  

so Back to ebay for a OEM part or due you guys have a place to recommend or I can call my nearest Honda Dealer which is a 40 min drive away.

thanks for all your help.

3 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

sorry don’t know how i did this text thing

bud I wouldn’t use that switch; buy the OEM switch. Go to Partzilla or Rocky Mountain and get the part number you need. Then buy it from them or get a used part.

looks like you’re going to need to replace those bullet connectors anyway.

switch not going to work it will only connect 2 wires when in the on position!  the other 2 are then open and then in the off position the 2 wire are connected not really gonna Help me get what I need.  

so Back to ebay for a OEM part or due you guys have a place to recommend or I can call my nearest Honda Dealer which is a 40 min drive away.

thanks for all your help.

here ya go ----> https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/35100-HM5-671?ref=4c5988b989eb2ca03af5f288c1b678a177a1d70a , next time...don't be so cheap !..lol.

• Like 1

Parts on order from partzilla, thanks for the link

for my notes car battery is at 12.92 volts off the charger and just sittin by atv on a bucket.  Want to hook said battery up to atv and try and find the battery draw that happens when atv is off.  This is a older car battery and want to make sure it's note self discharging hence my note thati it's at 12.92 tonight will see what it's says in morning then and if at 12.92 will hook into atv and system and check voltage every day or so and then start unplug things to try and find the drain on the battery.

thats my plan!

i had 2 beers tonight and last ate at noon so plan may be under the influence!

i was only gonna have 1 but daughter had already opened the 2nd!

new glarus spotted cows!

Thanks for viewing!

Battery at 12.82 today just battery sitting on its own not hooked to anything,

i thnk that that is what it was at when I checked it yesterday but don't remember so for today I'll now have a record of what it is at.

maybe tomorrow if it still at the 12.82 I'll hook into the atv system and then look for the draw down rate after a day.

Hook your + cable to the battery.

Now take a test light and hook the alligator clip to the - wire, and put the probe on the - battery terminal.  If you have a drain the light will come on.

If it does, start unplugging things one at a time until the light goes out.  There's your drain.

• Like 1

Got new Orem switch in and she's hooked up to car battery and my inline test light is not lit up at all and when I turn key on I get neutral light and oil temp light for 3 seconds then oil light goes off,

battery voltage is 12.8 for now.

so maybe the ad hock toggle switch was my drain problem, or just a crappie battery that was in it?

time will tell if my car battery starts to show a drain in the next few days

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Checked tonight battery still at 12.8!

so that a good sign I think just wonder how many days due I leave this test goe on for?

It looks like you won this round!

• Thanks 1

The way you are testing the battery draw down , I would give it a week or longer , you can put a volt meter in between the battery terminal and the disconnected battery wire and see any draw immediately 

• Thanks 1

so put the meter inline and set to read the amp draw.

with it all off the meter reads 0.02 mA and with the meter not hooked to anything it also reads the same.  "its a 20 year old Fluke Multimeter III 87"

so the calibration might be off some on the old girl.  

turn the key on and I get 233 mA for a few seconds when oil light goes out it drops to 129 mA

so that's where im at with the amp draw thinking its all looking good on that side of things.

Battery Voltage is at 12.79 so that holding steady and I've turned key on/off half a dozen times or so.

any way just logging my progress as I try and work through breathing life back into this old 300 again.

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

Edited by sublime68charger
  • Like 1

so have had a new battery in it for a few weeks and it starts up just fine and runs good for the most part.  I have a small oil leak at the top of the engine that'll need to be fixed as well. need to get a pic of that to get some advice.

been 2 weeks sitting and it started up no problems.

I was going down a steep hill with the 300 and just along at idle and after about 10 yards or so it will free wheel down the hill while in first or second gear.  Is that a major problem looming or can I just run it acting that way?  A quick blimp of the throttle and it slows right back down but if you don't know that its gonna release on you it can be a OMG moment and your praying that there are enough brakes to hold you. I can go down the hill at fast idle in 1st and be okay, which I would rather due vs riding the brakes down the whole way.  

I have several other ATV and non of them due that going down this hill.  Most time's its idle down the hill in 1st or 2nd gear and let the engine hold you back.

86 200sx

2000 Recon

2002 Rancher

2002 Foreman

2003 Foreman

Your one way bearing on your clutch is going bad.  I have a couple that do it too.  I just blip the throttle on them.  That said, if I had a bike with no brakes I'd fix it for sure.

I'll replace mine when I'm in there, but am not going to crack it open just to fix that bearing.

• Like 1

thanks Jeep good to know,  Bike has brakes just not the best of brakes and this is a hill that I will be going down alot with said bike but if I know that the free wheel will happen I'll just run down in first gear at high idle enough to keep the auto clutch engaged and doing its job.

just wanted to know if I can keep driving it that way and not due any more damage than already done.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, sublime68charger said:

thanks Jeep good to know,  Bike has brakes just not the best of brakes and this is a hill that I will be going down alot with said bike but if I know that the free wheel will happen I'll just run down in first gear at high idle enough to keep the auto clutch engaged and doing its job.

just wanted to know if I can keep driving it that way and not due any more damage than already done.

Yep.  I've been running my 06 Foreman like that for 4-5 years. LOL

been using this 300 some around the house,  

I did end up taking it into a shop to have the clutch looked and some carb work but its been fine since I got it back.

now looking at putting a winch on the old girl and having the debate of due I get a bracket and put it up under the front fender or put the winch up on top of the front rack?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sublime68charger said:

been using this 300 some around the house,  

I did end up taking it into a shop to have the clutch looked and some carb work but its been fine since I got it back.

now looking at putting a winch on the old girl and having the debate of due I get a bracket and put it up under the front fender or put the winch up on top of the front rack?

Bracket under fender.  Winch on the front rack will result in a ripped off front rack if you ever try to pull anything with the winch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Bracket under fender.  Winch on the front rack will result in a ripped off front rack if you ever try to pull anything with the winch.

The Most the winch will be for is pulling the 300 out of a hole when stuck, or lifting snow Plow up/down.  I have a 02 Honda Foreman with a Warn A2000 winch on the front rack and has never given me problems.  I like that winch up there for watching if the wire birds nest on the spool.  I have rope winch's on a rancher  and a Recon and that is under the front fender and I don't worry so much about the rope getting bird nested.  I have a Warn A 2000 on my 03 Foreman that is my logging ATV and I hardley use that winch.  

I'm just on the fence on what to due on the 300.  

if I due go with under the front fender what is the best mounting kit to get for it?

I already have a Warn A2000 wire winch that will be going on it regardless if I go front rack or under the fender's.

thanks for any and all thoughts or comments

I like the KFI plates.  They seem to be the cleanest and easiest to use from what is available.

• Like 2

Thanks Jeep, I'll probably go with that one then.

want to get the winch on and Heated Grips and then put the front fenders back on the ATV,  I have a Gen 1 Moose plow mount plate for the bottom and a set up Push tubes and the a V Blade I want to put on the push tubes then get small Hydro Pump and some light duty Hydro cylinders I have a 3 way valve setup from a old Garden Tractor and want to make it so I can change blade angle from the seat from V to either way Wing or scoop.  I want to use this as my intown ATV Plowing.  Also gonna due a 3rd cylinder that I can put down pressure on for back dragging snow away from garage doors but most the time the winch will due the up/down on the plow as I don't know how fast the hydro will work and want the plow to float for plowing the driveway approach's from the street.

Have alot to get done to have this ready for winter plowing.

• Like 1

My Lil Green Fishing Buddy (93 TRX300FW has a KFI plate and ST1700 winch—shoulda got a Warn but this was on sale for $180.

BA6429EC-014D-4D6F-BBE8-4D2EC87A249E.jpeg

0D3B5281-F3A9-4222-87AF-CD3AF6AC6505.jpeg

6141954E-2FFF-4035-AA38-E31FDF86FF4F.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good !!!!   Fishing and four wheelin' at the same time is a double win ......   don't know if it is a optical illusion or not , but your left front tire looks like it is towed out and leaning in on the top 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, sublime68charger said:

I have had the one way bearing go completely out  , and I kind of like the way it rides , it coast , left it like that for a long time ---  but , we don't have any hills around here to worry about , so braking is not really important unless your wide open all the time --- but it is nice to have engine braking ---- do you know , therre are two one way bearings on a 300 , the one way bearing behind the clutch is for engine braking , where the one behind the flywheel is for the kick starter