sublime68charger

96 300 just showed up in my yard

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Looking good !!!!   Fishing and four wheelin' at the same time is a double win ......   don't know if it is a optical illusion or not , but your left front tire looks like it is towed out and leaning in on the top 

Maybe camera angle. How’s this look? My tires look low.

let my friends ride this one all around the river—that box was filled with catfish several times.

DD3EF436-96A8-473F-8C21-A4F51260DCCC.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Ohyea , that looks a lot better  ^^^^^!! 

Dang thing looks like a mud bug

• Like 1

Back to the vin number deal. You can go to Vincheck.info and find out if the bike is clean or not. I have ran both of mine through it and it tells me all the info on the bike and gives you a clean check are tells if it's stolen. Is there any new updates on your bike. 

been a while since I posted but Still have the old 300 and slowy getting it setup how I want it to be for a plowing quad,  Hoping for next winter I'll have it how I want.

But Have heated grips on it now which are plugged in the Accesory Plug.  Found this on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/203763367253

is there a better place to get this end at?  Want to use this to power the Heated grips and gonna put a mini Warn Rocker switch and solinod for winch operation.

Pic of the old 300 out stuck in a snow bank and had to winch myself out.300 stuck winch out.jpg

• Like 2

Suppose to Have 6-8" of snow this week so I got the old 60" Moose plow put on the 300 to give it a try.

Have been using a Honda Recon 250 for snow removal so far this winter which works but the 6" plus might be a bit much so gonna give it a try with the 300.

300 and plow

300 4x4 with plow.jpg

• Like 1

For the roller fairlead I ended up just drilling holes thew the front bumper and bolted the fairlead right to that.  What have others done?

On my other ATV I have made brakets that I U-bolted to the front bumper then the fairlead bolts to that but the fairlead bolts lined up close enough to the front bumper supports so just went right threw them instead.

300 bumper fairlead.jpg

• Like 1

also when I had the rear end up off the ground the right rear wheel was loose thinking the Hup is loose on the axle is that a common problem on these?  

Due you just order a new one from ebay?

or is there a fix like take a pop can cut it up wrap it around the splines and put the hub back on so it takes up some of the slop?

This old 300 is never gonna be a show queen its a beater quad at this point but want to try and get it back to good working order.

As far as fixing  a loose hub on a budget , it is a spline that wears out , there was a first style were the hubs had shorter splines , the later ones have  longer splines , they don't interchange , you need the right axle and hub together ---------   welding the hub to the axle  is one way to buy time  , some say never weld it , but the axle and hub are ruined any way , so when you need to go into it for bearings , etc then fix it right , which who knows that time may never come anyways  --- another way I have bought time is JBWeld or other type of steel putty  like MinuteMend , clean the axle and hub splines very well , apply putty , install hub , let dry and ride , it last a long time for me 

• Like 2

Thanks Fishfiles I just may due the JB weld trick.

I really don't have anything to loose on this ATV Like I said its a beater quad that starts and runs and just works. Its had a hard life before I got it and I don't have the time to restore it back to its former glory.  I just want to make it Mechanially sound and usable.  It'll be used for snow plowing and Pulling logs in the woods threw the brush and letting the kids ride around on it.   Its a fun ATV to ride around on.  Not the lumbering beast's that my 450 foremans are.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

For the roller fairlead I ended up just drilling holes thew the front bumper and bolted the fairlead right to that.  What have others done?

On my other ATV I have made brakets that I U-bolted to the front bumper then the fairlead bolts to that but the fairlead bolts lined up close enough to the front bumper supports so just went right threw them instead.

I did the u-bolt thing on my blue 300 ,  as the bumper is kind of rare and I did not want to drill holes thru it 

IMG_8719.JPG

IMG_8720.JPG

fullsizeoutput_f74.jpeg

• Like 1

That's neat Fish.  Very nicely done.

I drilled holes in my kid's 300 bumper.  Little lower than OP's, but same principle.

I'd weld that loose hub.  If it comes off again, new axle and hub time.

As for heated grip power etc, the plug linked would work, but if you're looking at beater stuff, I wouldn't drop that kinda coin for a NOS OEM plug.  Is your existing accessory plug missing or ?

Just tap your winch + wire to one of the pink wires coming off the ignition switch.  You could hook your heated grip + up there as well.

• Like 1

Jeep I have the bike side of the ACC plug and for right now i have the Heated grip wires just jammed in there on spade connector and it works.  Till they fall back out.  

If I could find the male and plug for say $20 I'd go that route but the $50 for it is pricey.  I'm thinking I'll need power for the Heated Grips/ Mini Rocker for winch and want to add some extra lighting for the Plowing snow as well. 

Long term plans is I want to get a mini rocker switch to run the Warn Winch on the quad for the left thumb to run.  I have the big old Rotary switch bolted to the front rack that is running the winch right now.  But I want to put a winch down on the push tubes of the plow and use it to be able to change blade angle from the seat of the ATV. Thats probaly this summer still need to find a 50" First Gen Moose Plow that I can put on this.

Mini rocker is alot nicer for plowing can go up/down and still have hand on handlebar where its warm.

its a slow process but hoping by next winter I have this all setup and ready to go.  

Gonna run Stock 25" tires with chains from a 450 Foreman as well to give me a bit more ground clearance and I dont' wanna burn the Vamp tires up spinning on pavement with them.

• Like 2

Fish,  if you look in my Pics your can see a U bolts that is for my front tow point that I have on it.  2 u bolts some angle iron with a loop welded in the middle and then a clevis on the loop easy to hook onto for pulling ATV out of a Mud hole and I like having the Winch fairlead up higher on mine as when its the rescue ATV pulling out a stuck ATV I want to be pulling up/out and not pulling said stuck ATV down/out.  

thanks for posting up the Pics of how you did yours.  

I know for the Recon/Rancher/Foreman I have the 2 u bolts flat steel between the braces on the bumper and the fairlead bolted to that as well.  the braces on the 300 just lined up with the fairlead so it was a quick and easy install.

Edited by sublime68charger
  • Like 2

Are there upgraded shocks out on the market for these 300's  that would lift the ATV like 1" or so?    I have the Gen 1 Moose plate on this and the plow does not lift more than like 1"  I don't want to put a lift kit on this at all as the Vampire tires would then look super small with the ATV lifted.  I plan to run some old stock 450 foreman tires with chains for winter plowing and that should provide some more height for the atv which will give me more blade lift height.  I know I could go to a Gen 2 Moose mounting plate but I'm just trying to use what I have.  Just wondering if there still shocks out there for these at all I looked on Highlifter but didn't find anything. Im gonna due some more looking and see what I can find but thougth I'd ask the brain trust here.  Though I'll be putting the 25" tires on and testing how my plow lift height is with those tires on the 300 before I even by shocks but thought Id start looking at what my options would be if I decide to go that route.

Jeep thanks for the information!

like I said I'll put the bigger tires on and see how that does before I even get worried about shocks but then again if I see a 420 come up as a parts bike in my area I may just grap the shocks for it then.

Yep , first gen 420 front shocks work perfect on a 300 , to give it the max  lift that will fit , about 2 inches ---- on the rear you can use a 2 inch shock extension lift block , I don't know of a shock that will drop right in to match the 420 fronts