Freedomflyer

Freezer defrost

Was a busy day yesterday and also a day to be thankful.  Somehow our upright freezer door got left ajar just a smidge and we ended up with a totally frosted over freezer. We didn't lose any thing,  but of course had to defrost. Borrowed some extra coolers from neighbors and emptied it out. Put 4 pans of hot boiking water on the shelves and closed the door. This gave my wife and I the perfect opportunity. To go through the other two freezers and do an inventory. We are so thankful for what we have. We were blessed with being able to harvest an elk this last hunting season. Between that and the other meats; chicken, pork roasts,  beef roasts. turkeys, fish, and Bacon!  Along with that, frozen vegetables, home made pies, cookies and other various treats.  So in other words....full.  To top all of that off we have 3 feiends who are potato farmers that we can go to for fresh spuds.  Extremely thankful for our blessings in this time of uncertainty. We will be looking for ways to help others when opportunity arises.

• Like 7

And when that happens you find stuff that you forgot you had that needs to be eaten! 

My wife and kids are picky. I have the stomach of a raccoon. I don’t throw out anything 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL!!! We did find a few things that we'd been looking for, fortunately it was salvageable and we were able to organize and get that stuff to the front of the shelves. Get all like meats etc. in the same area if all the freezers. My wife is not picky nor am I so we a huge variety of foods. Grateful for that as well.

• Haha 1

Our deep freezer messed up a few years back and we lost a ton of food. I am looking at an upright freezer soon.

i just ditd one of mine a few months back... even located a bottle of ever clear .... lol .... I'll  be using that a hand sanitizer sence there's not a single bottle of rubbing Alcohol  to be located in columbia ... made plenty of room for more meat :-) bread etc ....

theres not telling how long that PGA has been in there .... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i just ditd one of mine a few months back... even located a bottle of ever clear .... lol .... I'll  be using that a hand sanitizer sence there's not a single bottle of rubbing Alcohol  to be located in columbia ... made plenty of room for more meat 🙂 bread etc ....

theres not telling how long that PGA has been in there .... 

I don't think their is "best drunk by..." on PGA is their?😀

• Haha 1

lol! I've had my shair of it WAY WAY back...... the body can't take that stuff anymore ... i haven't had a beer in not telling how long .....

i don't imagine too many people who pulled a drunk on that stuff would recall too much... best i can recall... my last deal with that mess ... i ended 30 miles away in a strip club ...  it was after a NASCAR race ...  i stopped having NASCAR race parties after that one ... i do recall the culprit who drove us ... he's not allowed on my place anymore lol! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mine was jagermeister.  Only time I drank any of that I started taking in tounges and slept for 12 hours lol. I wish we had a video camera at that time because they said it was pretty funny. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mine was tequila, they found my buddy and I the next morning passed out in a newly planted soybean field with and empty bottle and a salt shaker and some half eaten limes. Have never cared for the taste of limes since!

• Like 4

I have the stomach of a raccoon. I don’t throw out anything

jeep... are you getting more like you pop ? lol! 

ff... we went way off the rails ... sorry ... I'll take the blame ... sigh but ^^^

On 4/12/2020 at 12:29 AM, Chevymec said:

Mine was jagermeister.  Only time I drank any of that I started taking in tounges and slept for 12 hours lol. I wish we had a video camera at that time because they said it was pretty funny. 

you sure you didnt smoke something ? @Chevymac .

got an old freezer in the basement. need's a new gasket. defrost dont work well. its not an upright, i still have deer meat from 2007, i'm not afraid of. constant defrost ruins a lot of food. ice, from the air is built up, on the inside. very seldom, hear this freezer run.

to me, i couldn't imagine exchanging it for something new. granted its not upright, but this keeps food colder.

Edited by LedFTed

On 4/13/2020 at 8:12 AM, LedFTed said:

you sure you didnt smoke something ? @Chevymac .

Lol, no sir. It was mass consumption in a very short time.

I have an old Philco fridge in my shop. Single door, has the freezer at the top. If I set it on anything above 4, it will freeze everything in the fridge. Have a case of beer that it froze them solid.

6 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

I have an old Philco fridge in my shop. Single door, has the freezer at the top. If I set it on anything above 4, it will freeze everything in the fridge. Have a case of beer that it froze them solid.

Needs a thermostat. 😁

• Like 1

now .... chevy ... if i had issues I'd head to slammed i think he's an expert .. on appliance repare ....   we got people here who can fix just about any problem ... lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

now .... chevy ... if i had issues I'd head to slammed i think he's an expert .. on appliance repare ....   we got people here who can fix just about any problem ... lol

Problem is the thermostat for a fridge that old will have long since been discontinued. But they make a universal t.stat that will stick to the side of the fridge liner inside. Thermostats are just simple 2 wire setups. The universal ones come with enough wire to run it over and attatch to the original 2 wires. Cant mess it up. No specific order just one to each side. Stick it to the inside wall somewhere and your good to go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Problem is the thermostat for a fridge that old will have long since been discontinued. But they make a universal t.stat that will stick to the side of the fridge liner inside. Thermostats are just simple 2 wire setups. The universal ones come with enough wire to run it over and attatch to the original 2 wires. Cant mess it up. No specific order just one to each side. Stick it to the inside wall somewhere and your good to go.

besides thermostats, will dust buildup on the bottom coil cause such problems?

I'd say so.... just as a plugged radiator will / can cause issues same with cooling fins ... oil coolers etc ..

Edited by _Wilson_™

Nope dust build up will have the opposite effect. The condenser coil is designed to dissapate heat. So if it clogs up and cant get proper air flow it will make the compressor work harder and cause the temps to struggle to freeze things. The only way for fridge to freeze on that old of a fridge is thermostat issues. They blow air from freezer to fridge to satisfy the t.stat. So if the t.stat is bad it will stay running to long and let the temp in the fridge get to cold before it shuts off.

• Like 2

it's been too many years, since i worked HVAC. i dont remember so much. i was wondering of the coil, covered in dust,[i.e. cant breathe] would

cause x-tra freezing inside refrigerator. over heat, results in freeing, on some occasions.

posted too late!! Question was answered before posted.

still having problems with GE. it stopped leaking water for 2yrs., started back up. been reading, off an on, and i think its thermostats. its got 4. plus a board. refrigerator is 17 years old. +/- , always had this problem. We talked about this on the old site, once. was a year or two, maybe 3 ago.

Edited by LedFTed

HVAC works different. Unless you were doing zone systems. A fridge is kinda like a zone system. One room can be kept alot colder than others using the same t.stat. new fridges work even more like zone systems as they will actually adjust the ductwork between the two. Some really really high end fridges now have seperate coils fridge and freezer. Some even have seperate compressors. But the most basic fridge design rely on cold naturally falling and a small fan to help the process. But just like hvac if your outdoor coil gets clogged it will struggle to get the house properly cooled. Now it will freeze up the line going out but thats because it cant properly remove the heat and humidity from the house. Freezer coils are always already frosted like that and they stay like that almost all the time. Thats why we have a defrost cycle. HVAC coils dont ever get that cold unless there is something wrong with the system. Under charged or extremely clogged coils.

Now keep in mind i am just now learning HVAC. Been installing for a few years but havent really done any repair on them as of yet. But i have a pretty good grasp on the way they work.

• Like 2

there cant be much that goes wrong. a bad relay, or electronic board, or thermostat.

The new era of HVAC is very complicated. When you get into zone systems. Heat pumps. Geothermal. Just like everything too much computer control. Sensors. The whole nine yards. The place im going to be working does everything from boilers to any other form of heating and air. I have alot to learn!

• Like 2

geothermal is getting popular around here .... I've been told i could put a system  in using the cave fed spring branch ... there is a mechanical engineer up the street that made his own setup using pond water ... I've never actually layed eyes on it...  

I would pay attention to geothermal. i dont know how it is in Ohio, but in KY, plenty to take advantage of, whether you go horizontal in the ground or vertical.

2 natural springs on the property, just too far from the House. a well would do. it would fill up. still ya could go down so many feet, run your lines Horizontal. 

system is quite, heats an cools, takes some x-tra work at first. but saves money, in the long run.

Ya cant ask for much more.