Freedomflyer

Freezer defrost

1 hour ago, SlammedRanger said:

The new era of HVAC is very complicated. When you get into zone systems. Heat pumps. Geothermal. Just like everything too much computer control. Sensors. The whole nine yards. The place im going to be working does everything from boilers to any other form of heating and air. I have alot to learn!

you will like boiler work. it's different, but you will like it. ya can tighten up some connector's, before ya break them loose.  connecting pipe, works elsewhere, as well. cutting a nut at a 45% angle, or fastener, will make more sense to you.once ya work on them i worked on plenty of boilers. you will learn many thing's. the stuff ya learn about boilers has other applications.

Tis warmer in the boiler room. while not in the summer, you will appreciate this, when winter rolls around you will, unless the boiler is not working.

We had some monkey wrenches, 4' long. 4 foot. for larger pipe. heat go's up. that, is what a boiler system is based on. so when you run the iron pipe, it has to go uphill. not much, just up. steam boilers work different, though not much. hot water system, is different, relies on water pump. i think i like this best.

i was in the R-22 era, for HVAC. after R-12 for cars, or about. if i had the money, i should have bought a pallet of R-22, maybe more. too late now.

just got 1 can left. the system that it works in is 20 years old. the can i got , is more, than 20 lbs.

i got it for under $60. now it go's for more than $600.oo., a can. Well, enough talking.

Edited by LedFTed
because

In laws had a fancy wine fridge that quit working.  I googled it and figured it was likely the thermostat.

Bought one online for $4 or so shipped, put it in, and it turns out the one I bought must have been for a freezer, not a fridge, but it works.  Just have to keep the setting toward the warmer end of the adjustment. 

Price was right, and wife was happy!

17 hours ago, LedFTed said:

you will like boiler work. it's different, but you will like it. ya can tighten up some connector's, before ya break them loose.  connecting pipe, works elsewhere, as well. cutting a nut at a 45% angle, or fastener, will make more sense to you.once ya work on them i worked on plenty of boilers. you will learn many thing's. the stuff ya learn about boilers has other applications.

Tis warmer in the boiler room. while not in the summer, you will appreciate this, when winter rolls around you will, unless the boiler is not working.

We had some monkey wrenches, 4' long. 4 foot. for larger pipe. heat go's up. that, is what a boiler system is based on. so when you run the iron pipe, it has to go uphill. not much, just up. steam boilers work different, though not much. hot water system, is different, relies on water pump. i think i like this best.

i was in the R-22 era, for HVAC. after R-12 for cars, or about. if i had the money, i should have bought a pallet of R-22, maybe more. too late now.

just got 1 can left. the system that it works in is 20 years old. the can i got , is more, than 20 lbs.

i got it for under $60. now it go's for more than $600.oo., a can. Well, enough talking.

I had a 60" pipe wrench in my tool box before, I just have an 18",24",36",and a 48" now.... sad thing is biggest pipe here is 1 1/4.......lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

now .... chevy ... if i had issues I'd head to slammed i think he's an expert .. on appliance repare ....   we got people here who can fix just about any problem ... lol

I am slowly learning that!  It was given to me so no plans to spend any money till it quits!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 5:57 PM, TBRider said:

I had a 60" pipe wrench in my tool box before, I just have an 18",24",36",and a 48" now.... sad thing is biggest pipe here is 1 1/4.......lol

i'd hate to have to pack that around. lol

worked on 4" maybe 5 " pipe before, wrench's was in the truck, if needed. LOL

a church got sued because a kid got burned on a boiler pipe, that had been running through the pews, for 25 or more years.

i think the parents should have be sued, for not watching their kid. it dont work that way though.

same thing, at an elevator co. i worked at. only the company got sued. this time it was more gruesome. a parent wasn't watching his kid, an the kid got stuck between the gate, and the door., to go outside, of the elevator. the kid got gutted in between floors.

i dont see how he survived at all. the gap was only an inch or so. the gap between the gate an the door, was 5" maybe 6".

the boy's sister was at the elevator controls, inside the elevator, and she was older, not old enough to push the stop button. she pushed the down button. so she probably has nightmares, even to this day. i shouldn't be talking about this, but it bothers me some. lack of parenting, an the things that can happen to children. and maybe, the thing's that can be prevented, despite parents, or machines., or HVAC.

Edited by LedFTed

On 4/17/2020 at 4:57 PM, TBRider said:

I have 36 and 48 on my truck now , I never seen a 60 before and I have been around , can't imagine having to handle a 60  , that 48 will wear you out 

I have a bunch of big sockets , some are 1 inch drive and a few are 1 1/2 inch drive , have an adaptor back to 1 inch for them 

• Like 1

i think ... a 48 with a cheater pipe would do just as good (used to tighten disk gang axle nuts ) .... ...  you've heard about those sky hooks haven't ya, fish ..... lol!

I've messed with a bunch of 3/4 and one inch drive ... talk about some big $$$ invested in those tools .. have you got one of those torque multipliers ? 

Rigid 60 inch pipe wrench  $319.99 , I thought it would  heavier than that 

Length
60 in.
Width
4.38 in.
Weight
51 lbs.
Construction
Cast Iron
Finish
Red
Pipe Capacity (Max.)
8 in
Type
Straight Pipe Wrench
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have 36 and 48 on my truck now , I never seen a 60 before and I have been around , can't imagine having to handle a 60  , that 48 will wear you out 

I have a bunch of big sockets , some are 1 inch drive and a few are 1 1/2 inch drive , have an adaptor back to 1 inch for them 

i got some 1" sockets and adapters, to take it up or down to a 1/4 inch. never had to mess with 1.5 inch. still looking for that sky hook, or adapter to match it. i dont think i will ever find it. LOL's

AHHH yes, the ol' sky hook. I was sent out by our scout leaders with other young guys to bring back one of those, and also bring back a left handed smoke turner and about 50' of shore line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well..... It's my time....... Defrosting a deep freeze !... Blocks of ice ...a couple tubes of deer burger (vacum sealed / frozen, a couple vacum packed packages of quail ......one frozen can of oj .....  And some things i didn't have any idea about.... Was planning on stocking back up now that I'm much healthier.... But after a small issue the owner of the last piggly wiggly had with my opinion of how the store has plummeted in quality i was asked to go, but before that... I let loose on his ! what really got his goat were the people checking out laughing at him trying to defend his stores quality, as for me ? I laughed all the way out the door and invited him to jump if he felt froggy... No response from him, and he chose wisely but insulting me nope that i won't have  (i'm Not even close to being done) i called my meat man scott... told him what happened, and the owner just lost 25-30 customers.... told him the owner can stick his head up his !. and apologize to his employes....for being a public fool, and i didn't won't his apology ... That time never existed! now I'll catch him out some place.........an give him an education country style,  I located a better store even had piggy price beat..... And the new place beats piggy hands down in quality in all departments!    i though about sticking this in another thread... But after going back over this particular string... And seeing..... FreedomFlyer's post and the comment of his better half checking out the (other two freezers) dude! How many freezers do y'all have ?! Being y'all live in the fro zone.... I'd think one deep freeze would be plenty.... Lol! ..... Added this is a truly hilarious string! So being cold over that last 24 hours off and on..I'm now ready for what winter has left for our area..

Wife went on a cruise with her friends last week to Belize ,Rowtain and Cuzemel  I don’t like cruises so I stood home and had a 7 day party And lucky I did.  Our freezer section of the kitchen ice box went out.  Noticed water on the floor.  Opened the door and a flood of all the melted ice came rolling out.  When I slide it out the enclosure it looked like it burned up.  Soot all over the floor and inside the cabinet that it fits into. It was a Samsung with a ten year warranty and it was going on 13 years old.  Took 3 days for the replacement to be deliveried and hooked up. The new one only has a 5 year warranty and I had to pay extra for 4 of those years. 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Wife went on a cruise with her friends last week to Belize ,Rowtain and Cuzemel  I don’t like cruises so I stood home and had a 7 day party And lucky I did.  Our freezer section of the kitchen ice box went out.  Noticed water on the floor.  Opened the door and a flood of all the melted ice came rolling out.  When I slide it out the enclosure it looked like it burned up.  Soot all over the floor and inside the cabinet that it fits into. It was a Samsung with a ten year warranty and it was going on 13 years old.  Took 3 days for the replacement to be deliveried and hooked up. The new one only has a 5 year warranty and I had to pay extra for 4 of those years. 

Fish, it seems nothing is made to last anymore and they love to nickel & dime you with extra warranty charges. 

• Like 2

Case and point for why our family appliance repair business called it quits. Everything sold is being designed with planned obsolecence there number 1 priority. Im honestly blown away you got that many years out of a samsuck. Only thing they make worth anything are tvs and phones. We used to tell everyone dont waste your money on extended warrantys. Anymore you really need them to have any chance at getting more than 2 years out of the junk they sell. And 99.9% of the time the warranty doesnt cover what your problem is anyway or you cant find a place with a repair guy competent enough to tie his own shoes. Let alone fix anything.

• Like 4

only way we will get out of this poor stuff they make and sell today..IS TO STOP BUYING CHINA JUNK !. and as everyone already knows..its all made in china now !.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Case and point for why our family appliance repair business called it quits. Everything sold is being designed with planned obsolecence there number 1 priority. Im honestly blown away you got that many years out of a samsuck. Only thing they make worth anything are tvs and phones. We used to tell everyone dont waste your money on extended warrantys. Anymore you really need them to have any chance at getting more than 2 years out of the junk they sell. And 99.9% of the time the warranty doesnt cover what your problem is anyway or you cant find a place with a repair guy competent enough to tie his own shoes. Let alone fix anything.

That is the truth ---- I don't usually buy extended warranties  , I did for this one -------  it is not worth repairing anything now days , better to just buy new --- how you feel about GE=General Electric 

14 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

That is the truth ---- I don't usually buy extended warranties  , I did for this one -------  it is not worth repairing anything now days , better to just buy new --- how you feel about GE=General Electric 

GE made good fridges, ovens and freezers. Washers and dryers were junk. Anymore i tell everyone to buy frigidaire. Which ge and frigidare are all made by electrolux. Or atleast they were when i kept track of that type of thing. Possible it could have changed since then tho.

• Like 2

@SlammedRanger Frigidaire, 💯 and  GE 💯 is mostly what brands i have for cooking and cold storage <-- that i wont chanceGE microwaves x3 GE oven-range, kenmore upstairs fridge / freezer, two Frigidaire chest deep freezers model MFC15M4FW2  there's that dish washer (LG) you and i talked about.... Still running like a sewing machine, but i don't use it much.... Bout every week or so.... To make sure no rubber internal parts dry out .... GE dryer, may tag performance series washing machine.....GE trash compacter ( not used much ) garbage disposal is a MOEN ( not used much ) as for small appliances ninja air fryer comb machine, GE small oven ...... Tvs Samsung digital big screen, plus 4 other tvs the other 2 big screens Sanyo, hitachi, and my water heater is a  GE, i plan on installing a tankless heater, but I've got more research to do.... All in all (knock on wood) I've not had many issues at all,..Duncane central H&A system... And top rated for more then 15 years steady the hardy 180.000 btu h-4 largest all mechanical wood burner... With the rare reinforced tunnel loading plate.... The square mouth models have a bad habit of cracking around the door, and leaking  water.....Im not really concerned with much of those sept the oven, fridge, and deep freezers, n water heater...... Ifninloose a freezer full of vettles ..... Then not only the price for food loss, but also replacement of the deep freeze, plus possibly the price of restocking lost frozen goods... for the rest ... Mostly fire hazard worries.... Least for those units that have juice going to and fro all the time.