Fishfiles

Lawn tractors , yard machines

I haven't ridden any other zero turn mowers, but I wouldn't say the Ferris is particularly smooth riding. 

That said, all the guys around here who do mowing for a living swear they ride like a caddy compared to the other brands.  I figure the other brands just ride REALLY rough.

Dad ended up picking up a Ferris a couple of weeks ago.  What took me about 2 hours to mow on my old Deere 112L with a 38" deck took me 25 mins on the Ferris.  It's a 61" deck, 23HP Vanguard engine.  It's one of the heavier commercial grade units. 

• Like 3

On 6/18/2020 at 11:20 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I haven't ridden any other zero turn mowers, but I wouldn't say the Ferris is particularly smooth riding. 

That said, all the guys around here who do mowing for a living swear they ride like a caddy compared to the other brands.  I figure the other brands just ride REALLY rough.

Dad ended up picking up a Ferris a couple of weeks ago.  What took me about 2 hours to mow on my old Deere 112L with a 38" deck took me 25 mins on the Ferris.  It's a 61" deck, 23HP Vanguard engine.  It's one of the heavier commercial grade units. 

That Vanguard engine is one of the best.

• Like 1

I bought a hustler fastrak 54" in 2013.  It now has 900 hours on it.  Yeah I mow a lot. . .  Anyway, it's a pretty bumpy ride I guess.  My back would hurt after mowing.  So last year I put a suspension seat on it.  Much better now.  They also make spring steel caster forks for them, which they call flex forks.  I've thought about getting those too but have put it off for 7 years - guess I can put it off another 7.

Mine has a 23 hp Kawasaki engine.  FS series. 

Edited by slowindown

9 hours ago, slowindown said:

I bought a hustler fastrak 54" in 2013.  It now has 900 hours on it.  Yeah I mow a lot. . .  Anyway, it's a pretty bumpy ride I guess.  My back would hurt after mowing.  So last year I put a suspension seat on it.  Much better now.  They also make spring steel caster forks for them, which they call flex forks.  I've thought about getting those too but have put it off for 7 years - guess I can put it off another 7.

Mine has a 23 hp Kawasaki engine.  FS series. 

tack care of your back when ya can. it will catch up to you, when you get older. Led

PS tell me more about the suspension seat.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LedFTed said:

tack care of your back when ya can. it will catch up to you, when you get older. Led

PS tell me more about the suspension seat.

The one in the link is the one I got.  It helps absorb those spine compressing jars from bumps etc. Among suspension seats, it was a cheaper one. https://seat-warehouse.com/product/gray-suspension-seathustlerexmarktorobobcatbuntondixie-chopperztr-hh-2/

• Like 1

$299 is a reasonable for a suspension seat , on  the equipment I deal with , I see them go for $600-1,200 for the seat and the suspension base , just the foam and covering cost $300 and more 

I saw this one listed on CL and had to put it on here.

01616_d6LLquCGCuR_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by jeffo21
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, jeffo21 said:

I saw this one listed on CL and had to put it on here.

01616_d6LLquCGCuR_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

That's a deeeeeeep dish steering wheel ^^^^^ 

On 6/19/2020 at 3:14 PM, Misterclean said:

That Vanguard engine is one of the best.

This particular Ferris was a 2018 with 42 hours on it.  It's an IS 2100Z.  I wanted the Vanguard but did not want EFI, so it suited the bill more or less perfectly.;   I love the old Kawasaki engines on my 80's era John Deere mowers, but the newer Kawasakis look to have a lot of valve issues, and most of the newer Vanguards are EFI, which I didn't want, so this one works.  I would have preferred a 54" deck, as this one tends to scalp or mow unevenly in a couple of spots in the yard that aren't level, but I can certainly live with it.  25 mins to mow my yard vs 2.5 hours with my old John Deere with a 38" deck.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 8:08 AM, slowindown said:

The one in the link is the one I got.  It helps absorb those spine compressing jars from bumps etc. Among suspension seats, it was a cheaper one. https://seat-warehouse.com/product/gray-suspension-seathustlerexmarktorobobcatbuntondixie-chopperztr-hh-2/

out of stock, is the current theme, maybe something to do with the wuhan virus.

or made in china, which covers both.

Edited by LedFTed

Nothing special, but this is my weekend ride. I think I bought it in 2013. 

20200621_204253.jpg

• Like 4

has anyone seen / used this model ?? the configuration .... looks strange .... I'm not knocking the machine , just caught my eye ....

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

has anymore seen / used this model ?? the configuration .... looks a strange .... I'm not knocking the machine , just caught my eye ....

image.jpg

Looks like a tight quarters machine there , 36 inches wide maybe , I don't think I would like having that engine so close to me ka'hu'neeys 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah the family jewels was the 1st thing i though of.....and,  looks like a very unstable machine ... 

Might be a good thing in the winter , a ball warmer !!! 

• Haha 2

The heat from the engine on your legs in the summer time has to be unbearable 

• Like 2

it sure does look like a very uncomfortable machine .... just look at arm reach, narrow rear wheels ... and that engine and operator setup would make this a high center gravity machine .... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd wear a cup while riding that red beast. Get your balls caught in the cooling fan u will know it  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

has anyone seen / used this model ?? the configuration .... looks strange .... I'm not knocking the machine , just caught my eye ....

image.jpg

never seen one like that,not for me bet its gets hot on the legs being that close to the engine.

• Like 1

it's a brand name machine .... hard to believe that, but it is ... I thought a link was in @Turbo Twister homemade mower thread .... 

Edit: its a swisher ride king ...  and check out where the exhaust is located .... apparently they've been around for a while ... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

it's a brand name machine .... hard to believe that, but it is ... I thought a link was in @Turbo Twister homemade mower thread .... 

Edit: its a swisher ride king ...  and check out where the exhaust is located .... apparently they've been around for a while ... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lol that mower would be useless with what I have to cut.""

• Haha 1

I worked on this little jewel this pass week , and I got first  chance to buy it , it was actually the guy I do work for mother's cart at her farm/ property in Natchitches , it is a 2006 Kubota diesel 4wd with a/c and heated cab , hydraulic quick couplers on the rear and a PTO shaft , hydraulic dump , 3 speed hydromatic transmission , independent suspension on all wheels  , they sell for about $20K , he wants $9K , it has 308 hours on it , he is getting her a new one and this one is going to be traded in if he doesn't get the $9k ----- he had me  changed every filter and recharged the a/c with a 1/2 can of 134 and it will freeze you out , they just put some new tires on it , runs about 25 mph ---would love to have it , but don't know $9k worth 

DTOcwX0BQcm9z2ihz3hiGA.jpg

hSm4h8eyToW%Xjx6RT%k4g.jpg

• Like 1

On June 25, 2020 at 11:38 PM, riverc said:

Lol that mower would be useless with what I have to cut.""

yea, i agree.... it sure doesnt look very usefull... 

image.png

My buddy just paid $8,000 and some change for an Ex-Mark stand on , and his is only 36 inches wide cut , says it is the only thing he can do a good job with and not use a walk behind ---that is a lot of money for a little mower 

• Like 1

@Turbo Twister not too sure if y'all have these over there ... and i never had a chance to operate one .... but have close friends who are die hard collectors ... of the classic models  .. i believe they also have a few deferent front attachments ... as rare as some of the older models are ... you still see a number of people still using them. 

image.jpg

• Like 1