Fishfiles

Lawn tractors , yard machines

that is a very good  point i have noticed that to, I've found out these blades g5 mulch better with certain types of grass...( they lack in vacum) . when i got mine .. i don't think they had the high lift blades ?? when i got mine ..if these EVER need to be re placed ... I'll go with high lift ... I'd like to them combine the high lift with Fusion™ blades . 

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/professional-products/lawn-and-garden/mower-blades/gator-mulching-blades/c/g6-mulchingblade-p

• Like 1

This is the place I bought the blades for my old Husqvarna , that old mower  lasted 13 years , Kolher lost a cylinder , I need to get some more blades coming , I still have a new set for the old mower , doubt they will be the same after 13 years , I was getting 3 sets for the price of one from these guys  https://usamowerblades.com/

• Like 1

Our parks and rec guys have a few 104" Hustlers. you now what that means??? More chance to tear something up!  The best mower that they still have is a Scag. It is the only one in the fleet. They have Toro, JD, Hustler, Ventrax, eXmark. 

I think dad’s fixing to buy zero turn.  He’s looking at Deere, Bad Boy, and Ferris. 

Wants either a Kawasaki or Briggs Vanguard engine. 

Husqvarna been good to me , and they come with Kawasaki and are $300 cheaper than the same mower with a Kohler , I payed the extra $300 and went with the Kohler , with the Kohler you also got arm rest where the Kawasaki is the economy version , 0 down , 0% interest for 4 years , 4 yr , 400 hour warranty , $100 a month -----  I went with the same exact model mower 13 years later , 13 years on the last one was good with me , if I redid the engine it would run again 

IMG_9029.JPG

• Like 4

Well got my old 2004 Cub Cadet M60 Tank ready to go today as there are areas needing some mowing.  She has 1514 hours on her and I have run her hard for a number of years, but has lived up to the Tank nameplate.  Got the oil, filter, plugs, fuel filter changed and all 19 grease fittings lubed.  I will mow once before doing the blades in case I forgot where something to dull the blades is located.  Not the prettiest anymore but it is definitely a mowing machine.  Even got the other toys included in the pic.  Also got the same stuff done to the JD 425 today.

Tank.jpg

• Like 5

@toodeep check these snapper mulching blades out .... i used to think gator blades were not easy to sharpen ... but these ... are a pita ! i have set of these ... and to turn the curve on sharpening a bit ... i kept these coated with layer on top of layer of paint ... truck bed liner etc ... thing is ... i had to mow every few days ... 

image.jpg

• Like 2

i wonder about my Exmark. the blade's are thin, motor is made by china. Exmark motor, 750cc? its fast, but only good on flat ground, zero turn.

bounces ya everywhere, if you are light. i think i would do it over, if i had the chance, i wont get the chance. just got 200 hrs.

i paid $4,200.oo., and feel like it was a waste of money. i needed a tough mower, that i could use. got it in 2013-2014, i think. 2014 sounds more like it.

Exmark an Toro, same company.

Ted , zero swing is the way for me , cuts my time in half and does a cleaner job , but I have seen where the zero swing doesn't work sometimes when a tractor style will work  , along the property line stays wet longer than the rest of the yard , I can't cut that area with the zero turn when it is any kind of mushy , but the lawn tractor can go right over it and not tear it up ---another thing I found is the lawn tractor does better along the edge of the ditch , twice already I have slide into ditch from getting to close with the zero swing 

• Like 3

I stay far of the ditch slope with this new zero turn mower , makes for some extra weed eating , but I get chicken crap along the edge ----my neighbor Mr Jimmy was pretty brave , he was a Operating Engineer by trade so I guess he had nerve , when he use to cut his grass on his lawn tractor , I couldn't believe how far he would go on the slope with it and never flipped it , sometimes he would make a pass down the street and do my ditch , and I could never match his cut with my zero turn

Talking about operator and tractors ,Mr Buggs , was an operator I grew up with , lived by me , worked with my dad , I was friends with his son , , Buggs  and his son went all over the world with crane companies as heavy lift operator , he worked for all the big companies on and off shore  , some dangerous work , he retired and was cutting his grass on his tractor here in Lacombe and they think he had a heart attack , a neighbor seen the tractor running around with no one on it , went over and found him on the ground and had been run over by the bush hog several times , terrible way to go , especially for someone who ran equipment all their life ---Mr Buggs was a cool dude , he had a couple of Indian motorcycles , old school , patena looking , suicide shifter , I can still see him bustin' on it , slapping gets with one hand 

Mr Buggs , had an incident with a bush hog when I was about 17 , he owned the lot behind us and kept his old Lima crane , bull dozer and back hoe on , and he use to cut the grass on a bush hog , our neighbor had a 2 story apartment garage , Buggs hit something in the high grass , I heard it happen , heard him cursing from our back yard , went over and the blade broke off the bush hog , went thru the air and thru the wall of the second story apartment , that my neighbor's grand daughter lived in , I got to see the blade sticking 12 inches into the bedroom , went thru wall , she wasn't home when it happened 

• Like 3

image.png

Just seen this jewel on the Mississippi Market Place , now that is RedNeck ,  a Coon-! would have used a power drive mower 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Ted , zero swing is the way for me , cuts my time in half and does a cleaner job , but I have seen where the zero swing doesn't work sometimes when a tractor style will work  , along the property line stays wet longer than the rest of the yard , I can't cut that area with the zero turn when it is any kind of mushy , but the lawn tractor can go right over it and not tear it up ---another thing I found is the lawn tractor does better along the edge of the ditch , twice already I have slide into ditch from getting to close with the zero swing 

my zero turn is short coupled, and i cant keep it from sliding when dew is on the grass. i think its set for a golf course. i could put traction tires on it, it would eat up the yard on the turns. i dont care so much. but some here are picky. it's not my house anymore, but i can spend my days here.

if i had 100lbs on me x-tra, it wouldn't slide so much, or bounce me so. i dont have the weight, nor want it. running the tires at 11lbs, instead of 13lbs helps me. if the ground was smooth, it would help me more. lol

PS, it rains to much here, when it dont, the earth opens up. i still got to explode some mole's. they make the ground more uneven.

Edited by LedFTed

Ted , Huqvarna offers a counter weight for the front of the mower , when you use a bagger , weld up some extra weight on it , LOL 

• Like 1

^^^^ i think its the seat in a way. it needs shocks, or something.

I was cutting the 4 wheeler path and caught a piece of barbed wire with my Husqvarna TS 354D lawn tractor,after I got wire cut off blades when I engage pto the blades start up when I disengage blades a squealing sound is coming from the pto clutch?

How hard is it to change the clutch,and get belt on and off?

37 minutes ago, riverc said:

I was cutting the 4 wheeler path and caught a piece of barbed wire with my Husqvarna TS 354D lawn tractor,after I got wire cut off blades when I engage pto the blades start up when I disengage blades a squealing sound is coming from the pto clutch?

I don't know that model , I took the clutch off my old zero turn to change the harmonic balance seal and it wasn't  hard at all , but it is on the rear of the engine ----------- Maybe it is as simple as the belt got burned and stretched , when you picked up the wire ---- did it go  to squealing when you hit the wire ---hope you didn't bend the spindle 

35 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't know that model , I took the clutch off my old zero turn to change the harmonic balance seal and it wasn't  hard at all , but it is on the rear of the engine ----------- Maybe it is as simple as the belt got burned and stretched , when you picked up the wire ---- did it go  to squealing when you hit the wire ---hope you didn't bend the spindle 

It's still cutting grass just sounds different when I disengage pto squeals,I am not sure how to remove and reinstall belt with the correct tension,never done it before.Clutch itself does not seem to be a major job.

Lawn mower shops are most likely busy,and don't want it sitting in shop for weeks.

41 minutes ago, riverc said:

It's still cutting grass just sounds different when I disengage pto squeals,I am not sure how to remove and reinstall belt with the correct tension,never done it before.Clutch itself does not seem to be a major job.

Lawn mower shops are most likely busy,and don't want it sitting in shop for weeks.

I would bet there is no adjuster or idler on the clutch belt , you would spin it on and off like a bicycle chain 

i think that's kind of the nature of those mower magnetic clutches with age ? I've heard many of them squeal,  a week battery can sure effect them... but doesn't sound like it in your case .. ..  does it squeal all the time after it's disengaged ?? or just till the deck stops turning ? before i rush off to a repare shop... I'd speak to   @Misterclean  i believe some have a brake of some sort ... it not familure with that model 

here's  a good place to dig around in. https://www.tractorforum.com/

• Like 2

Dad had gotten to the point where he'd decided on a Ferris.  They offer a Briggs Vanguard or a Kawasaki FX730V.  While normally I see Briggs as junk, the Vanguard line seems to be a little different.  Most are made in Japan, and they're assembled start to finish by one person.  My old Kawasaki powered Deere tractors have been amazing, but the FX730V apparently has had some issues with dropping valves, from what I can find on the web. 

Add to that that the Ferris that has the Vanguard with cast iron spindles comes with an EFI engine, and if you get the carb'd Vanguard (48" deck) you get aluminum spindles. 

Then he further complicated things with the "Apparently Bad Boy sells a model with a Honda engine"........

Locally we can get Ferris, Deere, or Bad Boy, and he wants to buy something locally.

So as some as yall had seen, I am looking for a gas tank for my tiller. Last night I decided to just JB weld the shut off valve into the bottom of the tank to make sure it runs.  Put it on tonight, shot a little carb cleaner in the carb and it fired right up. This thing has been sitting for a few years . I didn't touch 1 screw on the carb.  I was truly amazed it ran as good as it did so I started tilling some weeds around the pool.  The pull start messed up which I knew it needed one but it ran 30-40 minutes solid. 

• Like 3

On April 19, 2020 at 10:46 AM, riverc said:

i was doing some looking ... and noticed this thread wasn't pushed up.... did you ever find out what the issue was ?? 

Yes,the pto clutch looks like it will last a little longer,not causing any problems engaging yet.""

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 11:09 PM, LedFTed said:

is it true, the Ferris is a smoother ride?

The Ferris is about the best ride because it has independent suspension for the rider. They are not the most rugged mower......not saying they are brittle, just not the most rugged out there.

• Like 1