Fishfiles

Lawn tractors , yard machines

I see that didn't work above ---

Ross Schiffelbein

May 20 2021

Outfit I work for made a set of steel wheels out of 3/8” plate for the 4wheelers. We ride every field pretty thoroughly to pull Rye out of our wheat fields. This task used to be done on foot on this farm, it is now much simpler and faster. We also had trouble plugging up the radiators on the 4wheeler so we tied into the coolant system using pioneer couplers and use an old bus heater to dissipate the heat by getting it up and out of the wheat and pollen. We can go anywhere with this setup regular wheels can and more, but you have to be in 4x4 and you have to have enough hp to ride through wetter ground

Steel wheels.jpg

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 5/22/2021 at 7:14 AM, Fishfiles said:

That's crazy , did you knock the bearing out of the old one , could there be some type of sprag / one way bearing inside that hump in the hub --- When I was rebuilding my Sears Suburban tractor I got a lot of info from VintageTractors on Facebook , there are some guys on there that know lawn/ garden and farm tractors ---  sure there is a tractor forum out there that some knows the answer to that one 

New pulley installed yesterday and grass cut before the rains.  I really believe this pulley was designed to protect the transaxle.  The Honda engine being 11 HP and using only a short 28" belt may proven to be hard on the transaxle.   At least the pulley was worn and not the input shaft.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 5:06 AM, LedFTed said:

Starter Assist Relay | My Lawnmower Forum  i have a solenoid problem with the x-mark, and found this. it might help someone else

that didnt turn out so well for me. 2014 708cc Exmark Q, is made in china. the grounds are different in the wiring. must be a mindset.

On May 28, 2021 at 6:49 AM, 56Sierra said:

New pulley installed yesterday and grass cut before the rains.  I really believe this pulley was designed to protect the transaxle.  The Honda engine being 11 HP and using only a short 28" belt may proven to be hard on the transaxle.   At least the pulley was worn and not the input shaft.

do you mean too much tension on the transaxle bearings via the traction belt ? 

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

do you mean too much tension on the transaxle bearings via the traction belt ? 

I think it may be designed to slip slightly to prevent from too much torque being applied too quickly.   Seems to me the drive belt is a 4L 28 so there isn't much give.  I know my old Wheelhorse with a 4L 81 belt snaps to attention when the clutch is released tightening the belt.  Old Honda has been doing just fine since the repair. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2021 at 11:50 PM, LedFTed said:

that didnt turn out so well for me. 2014 708cc Exmark Q, is made in china. the grounds are different in the wiring. must be a mindset.

anyway; the z turn died.. put a charger on it. even with the plugs out, the starter would only turn the motor 6 or7 times then it would give out. dead cells?, it showed 12v no cranking power. it needs to be tested, for crank power. interstate from costco. brother bought it, so it must be good.

anywho, i finally talked my brother into taking the starter itself, to be tested, the guy runs his business out of a wooden two bay garage, on has for over 20 years or 40 years.

it aint like the wire from the solenoid, no#8, is blackened on both ends says anything., plus the solenoids i been through. (i gotta find a decent truck), its a sellers market though, and the prices are sky high. anyway i could get #8 wire, nobody local had anything lower like#6. it would be nice to run two #8, and i might, but a;so, only to find a wire lug that would fit both wires. i can lug both wires, till i get the starter, i dont know if i got enough room. i might. 🙃😀😀 

Well , I had my first  Zero Turn incident , Monday I  wanted to get some more grass cut that was dried out as it hasn't rained in the last couple of days , but rain was coming and boy did it , Mandeville La , the next town west got 8 inches of rain yesterday and flooded many subdivisions 

So I was pulling up to my dump spot , going to empty the hoppers and the blades quit turning , so I checked the two fuses and both good , came inside and checked the wiring diagram went back out , and didn't see anything out the ordinary , was thinking the worst , called the dealer as it has a 4 year warranty , but they are closed on Monday , and my trailer is full of heavy firewood and being still under the weather from being in the hospital didn't want to unload that trailer ,  so went back out and   laid on the ground and felt around and found the wires to the clutch up in the pulley and they had got pulled out by a branch I ran over , so couldn't find the other end of the sub-harness  , finally found it under a lip of the frame , the plug got damaged so couldn't put the two wires back into the plug , was able to stick the wires into the plug and get the clutch to engage , went to auto parts yesterday and got a weather proof male/female plug , now to just solder and heat shrink it all back together under the mower , which should be fun --- so the moral is , if I  would have brought it in for warranty repairs , it wouldn't have been covered anyways 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, LedFTed said:

anyway; the z turn died.. put a charger on it. even with the plugs out, the starter would only turn the motor 6 or7 times then it would give out. dead cells?, it showed 12v no cranking power. it needs to be tested, for crank power. interstate from costco. brother bought it, so it must be good.

anywho, i finally talked my brother into taking the starter itself, to be tested, the guy runs his business out of a wooden two bay garage, on has for over 20 years or 40 years.

it aint like the wire from the solenoid, no#8, is blackened on both ends says anything., plus the solenoids i been through. (i gotta find a decent truck), its a sellers market though, and the prices are sky high. anyway i could get #8 wire, nobody local had anything lower like#6. it would be nice to run two #8, and i might, but a;so, only to find a wire lug that would fit both wires. i can lug both wires, till i get the starter, i dont know if i got enough room. i might. 🙃😀😀 

i for got to ask,(who me), will a wire lug for #6 wire work with two #8 wires? i got the lugs for #8, but dont know if i will have enough room on the starter, for two lugs.

Edited by LedFTed

why not just find out about the starter, then YES, have the battery load tested, if it checks good, then check the battery connections... before hacking into the wire harness .....

19 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

why not just find out about the starter, then YES, have the battery load tested, if it checks good, then check the battery connections... before hacking into the wire harness .....

im not going into the wiring harness, the wire from the solenoid, to the starter is blacked, an burnt on one end. i wont get the starter back, till next week. besides, its always better to have thicker wire than ya need.

(on a wiring job, leave a bit extra at the end, then ya will have it when ya need it), unless you like to make work so ya can get more money.

i figure if ya do it once, an do it right, you'll have more business, that ya need. customers aint as stupid, as most people think.

7 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

the wire from the solenoid, to the starter is blacked, an burnt on one end

then it was a loose connection, or just plain out trying over and over again to start the engine.... I've been there, i know! 

14 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

its always better to have thicker wire than ya need.

well that depends on what amps are required, and you can spend excess $$$ there as well, there's a reason machines are wired as they are  is it always right ? nope. 

• Like 1

I put the new plug on the zero turn's  clutch that ripped the wires off , cranked it up and it ripped the wire off again , so after looking at it real close , I realize the bolt had come loose in the bottom of the vertical shaft engine crankshaft  and the clutch fell down far enough to not be engaging the anti rotation slot  , about 2 inches , would bet there wasn't many threads left ,  so the job  could have been under warranty  , but glad I fixed it , after  tightening up the bolt and re attaching the wires , cut some grass for 20 minutes and alls good 

My older Husqvarna has a horizontal shaft and the clutch is mounted behind the front pulley and fairly easy to work on  , this newer  model is vertical shaft and under the mower , lesson learned 

• Like 2

I've come to the conclusion why mowers use electric clutches.  Safety.  Lift off the seat or go backwards and no mow.  I love my old mowers with mechanical clutches.  Seems they can do the same work on half the horsepower.  I guess I lucky to not have hacked myself to pieces in over 50 years of cutting grass.🙄

• Like 2

had to buy a new starter, the china starter, on the china motor, 708 cc, you cant get rebuilt, cant get the gears, burned out the last solenoid before i got the new starter.

so, i got to get another solenoid.  the contacts of a solenoid aint the same as they were, in the old days., just took a few apart or so. i seen plenty of contacts, never seen them burnt so bad. even in heavy duty applications. makes me wonder about the supply chain. course when you put quantity over quality.... things happen.. i'll leave it at that.

[china], take a clue.. did i say that?

with a new starter? i jumped the non function solenoid, starter turns over well, cept it was dark out an i got a few arks fore i made contact. go figure.

Edited by LedFTed

was the starter, to begin with. an the connection was bad, at the starter, not the wire going to it, so it et solenoids., is the best way to describe it. some owner/DA, didnt replace the starter, at the beginning of the problem. the solenoid still makes a noise, just the contacts dont work anymore. guess who the owner/DA is. 😄😭

Oh Well, live an learn. "ya cant measure stupid"

Edited by LedFTed
just because

can you post a few pics, I'd like to see the solenoid ..... might be the type you can repair, cause i know some can be. 

Spend $500 for the bagger for my Husqvarna , wish I would have seen this first , LOL 

image.png

• Haha 2

I got this jewel on market Place right now , asking $500 for it , would take $400 , in the last couple of years it has a new battery , 2 new belts , new carb , runs good and works 

image.png

On 8/8/2021 at 4:18 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

can you post a few pics, I'd like to see the solenoid ..... might be the type you can repair, cause i know some can be. 

if this works, there is 1 picture.

didnt work.

Edited by LedFTed