Freedomflyer

Grumpy!!

Bad enough we're contending with this virus issue now we have to worry about these Grumpy Pants mammals waking up after a loooong winter. LOL.

This is about 50 miles south of us. In the same area we saw our first Grizzly  when out and about on the trails. 

Screenshot_20200411-221008_Facebook.jpg

• Like 3

Who would want to become friends with that? These suckers make black bears look like a teddy bear! Gotta get that 10mm!!!

• Haha 1

We have black bears all around us , but that thing is huge! I think the record Black bear around here is over 700lbs.

The average weight for a Grizzly up here is around 500lbs and can get as big as 850lbs. I  just googled that, lol, I didnt realize they lived as long as they do. 30 yrs in the wild and up o 50 yrs in captivity. Just glad we dont live where the Brown bears and the Kodiaks live. They're just a bit bigger.😲👀

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 1

Freedom, I very much doubt a 10mm would be adequate. .454 Cassull minimum I would entertain.

• Like 1

I carried a .44 Mag when I was in Alaska and that was considered the smallest caliber most felt safe with at the time. Last thing you want is to just ! a Grizzly off, you want to be able stop them in their tracks. 

We have black bears on our family property see them on camera,riding 4 wheeler and on deer stands.They don't make me nervous,but a grizzly are brown bear probably would I have read they are more aggressive than black bears.

3 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

10 mm is what they are selling around here, will definitely look into the .454. Thank you 

Check out the Ruger Redhawk and Super RedHawks. Very well built.

The black bears that we've seen have just run off as soon as they've seen us. We barely get a look at them before they're gone.  Grizzlies really aren't afraid of anything,  there's really no predators big enough to cause them any worry,  even the wolves  don't threaten them.

Prov, this is part of the reason I was looking at a 10mm. This a short part of an article I read 

The Glock 20 chambered in 10mm has become a popular carry choice in bear country. photo from thetruthaboutguns.com. The author carries a Glock  when it comes to handguns and bears, what matters is getting the most hits on target in the shortest amount of time.Aug 10, 2015.

Most of the sporting good  stores I've been in around our area have been pushing the 10mm and have basically said the same thing, the more hits the better off you are. The .454 Cassul and super Redhawk hold less than half the rounds that a Glock 20 holds. Need to do more research for sure. Have a couple of buddies I need to visit with, they know way more about what I would need than I do.

• Like 1